Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

"The Coaches do not have kids on the team"

by 131313 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 pm

This statement confuses me. The LTG lions have Mr. Henderson I believe who coached his two daughters, and several others have coached their own kids at some time. why do they think that somehow makes them better coaches or teams ????? Priest's dont have any kids but would you want them coaching your kids one on one.....lol. Or does a parent/coach have more refined social skills to communicate and realy information better with kids since they do on a daily basis. I have been coaching for 18 years and have seen my share of horrible "non parent" coaches. So again why is that their calling card to recruit players?

Also some state their coaches are ASA Ace certified. 25 bucks and a 10 minute online test will make you certified. So does that also make them a better coach ????

Also all female coaching staff. Rich Balswick was one of the Nations best pitchers period. He is a male, does that mean he is also not a good coach???

Just a point of view....

by Ovr Weight N Bald » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:48 pm

The non parent coach add has always cracked me up myself. My thought is this is a way to say there will be NO Daddy Ball on our team. Oh and parents are dumb enough to by that. Maybe that is true since you are not a DADDY but that just leaves room for Favoritism Ball. If you say that doesn't happen you have bumped your head!!! It is human nature to have favorites whether you want to admit it or not, your human :) Not to mention the travel expense of that non parents staff. Why do you think non parent coached teams normally have the highest team fees around. Trust me I get that, I wouldn't coach a team without a kid on it and spend all of my free time traveling and not have that covered.

As for the female coach thing I think having an ex player as a female coach is a great thing as it normally gives the girls someone to relate to and look up to if they have played at a high level. At the same time I agree that just because you have played doesn't mean you can coach. A coaches ability has little to do with gender.
Ovr Weight N Bald

by Fr_Wright » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Some Priests have kids that play travel ball, and some have even coached a little ("Father Ball," anyone? :lol: ), although I, for one, am happier now that I can sit in the stands and watch my daughter play...
Fr_Wright

by off the walls » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 am

Having just left a team with coaches with no kids. I can tell you it is not any better. At least with daddy ball you know were you stand. Just pick a Team were the coaches kid does not play.
off the walls

by CTCBAT » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:17 am

The problem isn't kids on the team. The problem is just good or bad coaching. Keep it simple. A good coach puts kids in the places that they will perform AND the team will have a competitive chance at winning. Bad coaches can't ever figure out that formula for whatever reason.
CTCBAT

by SeeBallHitBall » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:30 am

The untenable situation is that in which the coach (parent or non-parent) can't properly assess the child's skill level when compared to others on the team. If the parent coach or non-parent has undeserved favorites, run away fast as that is an implosion waiting to happen.

If you can't see why "x" is the deserving favorite on a team (always hustles, on-time, cheers on teammates, bonds well, no sense of entitlement), then the rose-colored glasses need to come off the parent or the coach needs to get some perspective and self-awareness. The former will always happen but if it is the latter, it will make for a long season...oh boy. That is why we have red cups.
SeeBallHitBall

by Bob Uecker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:48 am

by off the walls » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 am

Having just left a team with coaches with no kids. I can tell you it is not any better. At least with daddy ball you know were you stand. Just pick a Team were the coaches kid does not play.

I think that the best case scenario for everyone is to try and find a fit that works for your DD. Is the coach a good coach and will he or she be able to teach and push your DD where she is able to improve her game. Daddy ball or not, you have to take a close look at whether or not the coach can coach. Period. I have seen a coach with a daughter on the team that doesn't play and wouldn't suggest that as the best option either.

My thoughts are this, if you coach your daughter I have no problem with that, but I do have expectations that if your daughter plays that she is productive and is an excellent teammate. The coaches daughter should be held to a higher standard as the one who sets the tone with attitude and effort, not just in production. I can live with a semi-product coaches kid, but she sure damn want to be there to work and not expect the free ride from coach dad!!!! :lol: :lol:

Getting back to the topic, it really just comes down to coaching. Either you like the coaching philosphy or you don't. You need to find what works best for you and your DD. Sometimes, I believe that the parents have the biggest hang-up on coaching styles so find somewhere that you can enjoy as well!
Bob Uecker

by CheckWriter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:52 pm

The coaches daughter should be held to a higher standard as the one who sets the tone with attitude and effort, not just in production.

I think equal is good.

DD was on a team where coach's DD was just above mid pack, deserving of her starting position but ridden harder than everybody else, in my opinion not fairly, good kid, worked hard, did more than her share but it was never enough. All the girls and parents felt sorry for her. Well sorry is not really the right word but at the very least were glad he wasn't their dad.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Baller454 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 pm

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one. I was a kid coached by a dad. A dad that coached my kid. Had a kid coached by a dad with a player on the team. AND had a kid on a team that did not have a dad/daughter coach. I think the only combination where you can minimize bias is the last option.

A great coach can be either man or women. They have to be able to coach. I think women have an advantage is this area especially at the younger ages. When the young women are old enough to think for themselves and voice their opinion (Age 14+) then the coach gender is less important.

The worst coaches are those that are oblivious to who they actually are and there are many. I noted at least three in Sacramento and a couple at Fresno tournaments I was at. These are the dads play their kids over others more deserving and being loud and obnoxious yelling at 10U/12U girls.
Baller454

by CTCBAT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 pm

What about the coach who gives lessons. Those seem to end up being the worst. Their decisions are made by their bottom line, meaning clients can buy at bats and such.
CTCBAT

Next

Return to NorCal