Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Quality 02 Team/Coaches

by Momo's Dad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm

JnS02 wrote:Hi all I'm looking for help and opinions on the 12U 02 teams in the Sacramento region. With tryouts right around the corner I would love to hear any insight or advise you have? I've been to quite a few tournaments and it looks to me that there are not nearly as many 02 teams as there are 01's.
Thanks

Our family sought out an age pure team with the thought that a core group of girls and coaches could play and grow together over multiple seasons. There are significantly more 01s (and 03s) out there than 02s, which means fewer 02 parents starting teams. Because the landscape is so tough for coaches looking to compete against the better teams, several younger teams will have an 01 player or 2 in the lineup. For the small handful of 02-only coaches - Gold, Breeze, and possibly the Spartans (who have a great 03 on the roster, but I don't know if they'll have any 01s in spring) - it may be a rough spring in Sac, but having the opportunity for less turnover should benefit them heading into the 2015 season. There may be other expected 02-only teams nearby, but I don't know about them.

We've enjoyed our experience with Foothill Gold 02. As a family, we really like the coaches, players, and other parents involved with the team. The coaches are open to feedback and are committed to getting better at what they do. They observe the older, more experienced coaches and attend professional clinics. I'll take that any day over a young or moderately-experienced coach who's convinced they already know everything about the game. They treat the players in a very respectful manner that involves them - the players - helping to navigate their way towards their personal softball goals. In addition to regular practices, it's also common for one of the coaches to invite the players out for an extra hitting session right before tournaments. They're very respectful of what your player's paid instructors are teaching and only want to help reinforce, not contradict, the lessons you're paying for. They have a school- (and family) first policy and hold the girls to high standards of classroom excellence.

On the field during games, the coaching staff comports itself in a calm, professional manner, regardless of the game situation. They want the girls to play hard and smart, but players don't get chewed out - or subbed out mid-inning - for making an error. Time outs are always respectfully requested from the umpires, and polite handshakes follow every single game. It's hard to imagine any of the Gold 02 coaches ever being ejected from a field.

I'm not sure if this is an answer you were seeking, but for parents seeking a positive, competitive experience, I can comfortably vouch for the Gold.
Momo's Dad

by therealgrinch » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Hey there... don't know if you landed anywhere yet, so I thought I would throw it out there. They Lady Spartans 02 team is made up of primarily '02 birthdays. We do have 2 SOLID '03 and 1 - '01. We just completed 2 tryouts and have locked down 11 very solid players. We are currently looking for 1 final girl with an '02 birthday to complete our roster. Specifically we are looking for an athletic "utility" type girl. Like I said, I don't know where, or if you guys landed anywhere, but if you are looking for a SOLID team with positive quality coaching, we should talk about the possibilities... Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!
therealgrinch

Previous

Return to NorCal