Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Too Many Teams

by 6to4to3 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 pm

I just figure that any girl playing on any team is better then her not playing anywhere. I bet if you ask the player they'll say yeah, I play. I'm not super good but I have super fun. After all, isn't it what this game is all about? Have fun, play hard, learn about yourself?!!?

DF has teams every weekend playing, NSA in Yuba and Modesto area has team every weekend and PGF is full every year with the players we will see on college fields someday. What's wrong with that?

I say keep 'e, busy and they'll get in less trouble. Besides...40 years ago plus, no one thought a girl could be a good athlete at all...good call right? hahahaa NOT These girls playing now are the women, wives, mothers, managers, leaders of tomorrow. Get 'em in the dirt and watch 'em grow! Softball is bad a&& and the players that play it are ever more bad a&& too! It has got to be one of the fastest growing sports, it's a great game!

Close your eyes and picture the last time you left a tourney. Remember that girl walking out filthy dirty, a little blood on her knee, talking to her Dad n Mom over the sound of her rolling bag grinding along the blacktop? The younger ones holding Dad's hand in the parking lot for safety. Heading to ice cream or Subway or wherever. You think those folks are talking about batting average or errors or strike outs? Nope

There is a place for every type player and a place for those that want to push up through college and those that don't. And guess what folks....that OK! In fact...that's awesome!!!!!!!!!

play ball, have fun!!!!!
6to4to3

by CTCBAT » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Winning at young ages supplants building skills. Side jobs replace building skills unless you're paying that $40 per half hour fee. I see athletes. I just don't see skills.
CTCBAT

by Scorekeeper12 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm

6to4to3 wrote:I just figure that any girl playing on any team is better then her not playing anywhere. I bet if you ask the player they'll say yeah, I play. I'm not super good but I have super fun. After all, isn't it what this game is all about? Have fun, play hard, learn about yourself?!!?

DF has teams every weekend playing, NSA in Yuba and Modesto area has team every weekend and PGF is full every year with the players we will see on college fields someday. What's wrong with that?

I say keep 'e, busy and they'll get in less trouble. Besides...40 years ago plus, no one thought a girl could be a good athlete at all...good call right? hahahaa NOT These girls playing now are the women, wives, mothers, managers, leaders of tomorrow. Get 'em in the dirt and watch 'em grow! Softball is bad a&& and the players that play it are ever more bad a&& too! It has got to be one of the fastest growing sports, it's a great game!

Close your eyes and picture the last time you left a tourney. Remember that girl walking out filthy dirty, a little blood on her knee, talking to her Dad n Mom over the sound of her rolling bag grinding along the blacktop? The younger ones holding Dad's hand in the parking lot for safety. Heading to ice cream or Subway or wherever. You think those folks are talking about batting average or errors or strike outs? Nope

There is a place for every type player and a place for those that want to push up through college and those that don't. And guess what folks....that OK! In fact...that's awesome!!!!!!!!!

play ball, have fun!!!!!

I like your thoughts on this one 6to4to3! You've got a great positive attitude about it.
Scorekeeper12

by sacval00dad » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I agree with just about all of the comments to my original premise. However, I think they support the original position just as much as not. There is absolutely a team for every girl that wants to play the game. From the top travel teams to 6U tee-ball rec teams. I'm just of the mind that if the region were 4-6 fewer travel teams wide, then all teams would be a little deeper. The ASA tournaments would be more competitive, The NSA and DF tournaments would be more competitive and the rec leagues would be too. The wider you get, the less deep all can be.
sacval00dad

by mike robert » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Too many teams have core rosters with no chance of breaking in. Some of these new teams are formed because girls want more playing time and do not want to be the players to fill a position so the core can play. I know of several teams who have let go or had decent players not return just to draw weaker talent. Which leads to another fact that most of these teams are constantly trying to scalp talent from other teams and do not show a real interest in player development.
mike robert

by mike robert » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:51 pm

moosemcnair@aol.com wrote:I agree there are too many teams. I agree there are not enough good coaches. Sometimes people think they can run a team better then the last one their DD played on and starts a new team. I also agree there should be more on development for the future. An example is having your pitchers throw pitches they are not good at in a critical situation, instead of blowing a fastball by the batter, just because the 11 year old is almost fully developed, pitching to some girl who isn't. Another example is teams not putting on plays on defense, because they don't want to throw the ball away. It comes down to not being focused on winning all the time and focusing on what is best for the girls development. Last time I checked colleges take more notice what a 14,16, or 18 Gold player is doing, rather then how many tournaments a 10U or 12U player wins. Also it is important for coaches to play all their players on the roster as much as possible. To continue to give 2nd string players a chance to development in pressure situations(Sundays). One of the problems is that there is not enough experienced coaches at the 10U and 12U level! I think the longer you coach the less focused you become on winning and the more you see value in improvement, development, and the big picture.

The big teams, just cherry pick the players that are athletic, have potential, and are developing good mechanics at some point. The parents and players jump ship to get the better coaching, exposure, and trophies. How can you blame them, it is what's best for their DD. The rich get richer!!!! As a coach, I have always encouraged my players to try out for better teams, and to go to them if it is a better situation for the player and their family. I don't think there is lots of that going on.

Also remember that many of these teams are set and are just looking to get better. That is why there are some of the ads. Especially if they are elite teams.The weaker teams most likely just need bodies. I am sure they have enough personal to practice and play right now! Many time good coaches will hold off on the last couple spots, looking to upgrade their talent. It is easy to pick up a 10th, 11th, or 12th player and usually they just round out the team. Coaches want to wait and hope to grab a diamond that is unhappy somewhere else, just moved to the area, or a hidden talent from a Rec. or B team.. I think at 10U and 12U you need a good number of teams, so that girls have the chance to play without driving far and have a chance to develop a love for the game before it gets very serious. All the girls who are any good at all and have a desire to play above the Rec. level, should have a place to play. That said, it isn't east to compete with the SoCal A's, Team Mizuno SoCal, the SoCal Firecrackers's, or the Corona Angels if you have watered down teams from NorCal with less coaching and less experience!

Nothing is perfect and usually once the family is educated enough to make good decisions and really understand how this really works, their DD is finished playing. At 14 and girls softball career is half over if they actually play thru college.

My thoughts, Moose

spot on.
mike robert

by Fpcoachjb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 am

Competitive Sports will always have several levels of talent. We should be happy these girl's choose to play this wonderful sport. Coaches need to make sure their staffs have the right experience to help teach the game and not just be a dad who wants his DD to play whatever her skill level is. We have tournament directors for all talent levels.
Fpcoachjb

Previous

Return to NorCal