Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Too Many Teams

by sacval00dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Looking at the DF board today and there are 16 teams that have posted a need for 1-2 girls to finish out their roster. If it really is 1-2 per team, then at 1.5 girls per team they are looking for 24 players. Two full rosters full of girls. As if the quality of play didn't make it obvious, this makes it clear that we have way too many teams competing for our finite talent pool.
sacval00dad

by 2k1dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:10 pm

I agree but you also have to look that it is over all 5 age div. So it is really just 5 girls needed per age group..
2k1dad

by sacval00dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Sorry 2k1, I was not specific enough. That is not all five age divisions. THAT IS ONLY THE 14s. There are currently 16 ads on the DF site from 14s teams looking to add 1-2 players to complete their roster. It runs the gammit of skill level from top to bottom. There are a lot of 14s teams out there right now with 8-10 players on their roster.

Here's the list:
Golden Spikes
Hype
Firecrackers Sjolie
Firecrackers Blanco
Elk Grove Thunder
Tri County Smash
Swaggerzz
Cordova Fury
Gunners
Mayhem Elite
West Coast Fastpitch Academy
Rampage
Lady Demons
True Grit
Auburn Storm
West Sac Attack

All posted in the last week, since Monday 1/27.
sacval00dad

by Dozerdog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 pm

Not trying to be a jerk, but look at the teams on the list. Other than Firecrackers and not Blanco are these high level A-ball teams? Or are they lower level teams that didn't draw the talent?
Dozerdog

by sacval00dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Dozer: I don't disagree. On this list I see one very good team, a couple of first year teams that may be able to compete by May, and the rest are either the bottom of the middle tier or lower tier team.

With that said, even though you may not care much about these individual teams, it doesn't change the fact that there are clearly too many teams. Typically even the bottom tiered teams have a player or two that would make a middle tier roster better. Likewise for the middle tiered teams for the top. Too many teams pushes the players wide instead of deep.
sacval00dad

by Dozerdog » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 am

I understand what you are saying, but every girl on those teams deserve a place to play. My question would be do the one or two girls on a team go to a true A ball team and make a huge difference? A lot of those teams (not all) are dads who have a team because their kid did get what they feel she was suppose to on another team. Or some parents just don't have or want to spend the money it cost to play on bigger name teams. Plus how else is DF and Rainbow fields go to make money if they go away?
Dozerdog

by CTCBAT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Your 1a team is set
Your 1b team is set...

Your 2a team and below are crying about there being more water than players because they need you to get better. If they can get that one pitcher to move, or they can merge with another team they have a shot to be a 1c.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. The coaching isn't there to develop this many kids in the time frame you're trying to do something. If there was an abundance of coaching you couldn't charge $40 per half hour for lessons.

When NorCal buys into development pre 14's you'll change your tune. When people volunteer their time versus monetizing on what they know the quality of softball in NorCal will improve. You don't even have the best athletes playing the sport to start so the watered down argument is laughable.

The people at the top have resources, knowledge, and have some kind of experience with the building process whereas a bunch of these teams listed are always rebuilding. Again I point to the lack of being able to develop talent being the issue before there not being enough talent. Cost and access prohibit too many kids from playing both baseball and softball.
CTCBAT

by moosemcnair@aol.com » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:44 pm

I agree there are too many teams. I agree there are not enough good coaches. Sometimes people think they can run a team better then the last one their DD played on and starts a new team. I also agree there should be more on development for the future. An example is having your pitchers throw pitches they are not good at in a critical situation, instead of blowing a fastball by the batter, just because the 11 year old is almost fully developed, pitching to some girl who isn't. Another example is teams not putting on plays on defense, because they don't want to throw the ball away. It comes down to not being focused on winning all the time and focusing on what is best for the girls development. Last time I checked colleges take more notice what a 14,16, or 18 Gold player is doing, rather then how many tournaments a 10U or 12U player wins. Also it is important for coaches to play all their players on the roster as much as possible. To continue to give 2nd string players a chance to development in pressure situations(Sundays). One of the problems is that there is not enough experienced coaches at the 10U and 12U level! I think the longer you coach the less focused you become on winning and the more you see value in improvement, development, and the big picture.

The big teams, just cherry pick the players that are athletic, have potential, and are developing good mechanics at some point. The parents and players jump ship to get the better coaching, exposure, and trophies. How can you blame them, it is what's best for their DD. The rich get richer!!!! As a coach, I have always encouraged my players to try out for better teams, and to go to them if it is a better situation for the player and their family. I don't think there is lots of that going on.

Also remember that many of these teams are set and are just looking to get better. That is why there are some of the ads. Especially if they are elite teams.The weaker teams most likely just need bodies. I am sure they have enough personal to practice and play right now! Many time good coaches will hold off on the last couple spots, looking to upgrade their talent. It is easy to pick up a 10th, 11th, or 12th player and usually they just round out the team. Coaches want to wait and hope to grab a diamond that is unhappy somewhere else, just moved to the area, or a hidden talent from a Rec. or B team.. I think at 10U and 12U you need a good number of teams, so that girls have the chance to play without driving far and have a chance to develop a love for the game before it gets very serious. All the girls who are any good at all and have a desire to play above the Rec. level, should have a place to play. That said, it isn't east to compete with the SoCal A's, Team Mizuno SoCal, the SoCal Firecrackers's, or the Corona Angels if you have watered down teams from NorCal with less coaching and less experience!

Nothing is perfect and usually once the family is educated enough to make good decisions and really understand how this really works, their DD is finished playing. At 14 and girls softball career is half over if they actually play thru college.

My thoughts, Moose
moosemcnair@aol.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CTCBAT » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:39 pm

I agree with most of the post. Some of these orgs get started and they have a good run. Then they act as if they're something. I have heard one of my kid's coaches state they were considering charging for tryouts. Needless to say that team has folded. The focus was on the coach and not the kids.

Too many teams are built with bad goals, no long term plan, a short term plan based on a few girls, or a coach trying to monetize their team.

This is what is wrong with Nor Cal. You have a coach who is a hitting coach. You have a coach who is a pitching coach. You have a coach who deals equipment and apparel. Holding a team is a way to fund those projects. You have coaches who want their kid on that stage so they take a team. In ages 10u-14u where are the stable coaching staffs?

We also try to emulate SoCal. We have people paying org fees. I have yet to hear about a pay to tryout scenario but I'm sure someone wants to. We try to build from poaching instead of organically. SoCal can do some of these things because they have to. I'd take my kid to an OCBB tryout if it were free and we lived down there. Why not if it's free? Rico basically has said you can be a Firecracker and here is the fee. It works for him. There is the population to do that, but what you're starting to see is a bunch of good FC teams but few GREAT ones.

We aren't going to be SoCal ever. While we will have at least a team that will go down and compete with them they will be 3 to 1 in like teams. They just have population. No coach/org/league can overcome that.
CTCBAT

by cardinal75 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:14 am

Don't know the last time I made a post on this Board however this topic and the comments made, caught my eye. As the years go by, the overall quality of 14U kids entering HS has plummeted!!! The days of the complete ballplayer, who possess good offensive/defensive/metal skills, are way behind us. Yes, there are a few pleasant exceptions.

Throwing mechanics are atrocious!! So many players have their elbows sutured to their rib cage. What happened to the idea of your elbow needs to be higher than your shoulder?? When was the last time anyone saw a 12-6 rotation?? What happened to upper body rotation??? So many kids "push" the ball.

Hitting: the upper cut swing is showing up more and more. The idea of driving the ball has been replaced by "lifting" the ball. Countless pop ups and easy fly balls.

Bunting: don't even go there. "Bunting is for players that can't hit." Wrong!!!

Base running: station to station appears to be the norm. I once heard of a coach who played without base coaches during practice games to see if runners could pick up the ball and make good decisions going first to third. Granted, I don't want runners looking over their shoulders to find the ball, but when the play is in front of them they should be able to recognize a LF running towards the LC gap on a base hit....keep it in high and head to 3B with no hesitation.

Mental skills: very poor. Middles aren't sure where to go on base hits to the OF. Pitchers are cemented in the circle....best seat in the house!!!

The dugout: What a waste of time!!! It's amazing what kids can learn if they actually watch the game and see plays happen. When something is done right, comment on it and reinforce it. When something is done wrong, explain how it might have been done better. Teach!!!

Hate to rant and rave and get long winded, but the post about building a solid foundation at an early age is exactly what needs to be done. Teaching proper mechanics and fundamentals at an early age will go a long way. A coach at 14/16/18 will have a very hard time changing mechanics that have been used for several years.

Final thought: What do all the kids that pass through our program have in common??? They all play ASA ball!!! Are there to many teams?? Quite possibly. As more and more young ladies play this great game of softball, more teams may be needed and every child needs to find the right team for them. Players need to be challenged by other players but players also need a chance to play where they can utilized skills they've learned in practice. Daddies that want their DD to be the star on the team do a disservice to their child. If no one is challenging them, they will get lazy.

Just a thought. I may post again in four years.
cardinal75

Next

Return to NorCal