Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Runnin' Rebels Stockton Tournaments

by Casoftballmomma » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Runnin' Rebels held a softball tournament in Stockton this weekend.

Not only did they wait to notify us of field locations & brackets until the day before the tournament, but so many thing went wrong.

The out of town teams all had very difficult Saturday game times, like 9 am, 2 pm and 6 pm, while all the Stockton teams had game times either all in the morning or all in the afternoon/evening.

There were TWO drive by shootings at the evening games Saturday. Literally, players & spectators hit the floor the bullets were so close.

All games both Saturday & Sunday were at least 30 minutes behind schedule.

The tournament fees were higher than other tournaments because there was to be a BBQ for players and coaches, yet the fields we were at had no such BBQ.

All teams were given a 5 game guarantee, but due to poor bracketing, some teams only got to play 4 games.

The drive by shootings are enough to keep people away, but couple that with Regpala's inability to run a good tournament and it is just a messy, long, frustrating weekend.

Epic fail, Regpala & Runnin' Rebels. Epic fail!!!
Casoftballmomma

by SeeBallHitBall » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Certainly not run with german-like precision. My younger one's team had a semi start 1.5 hours late. She is currently doing homework and probably a good thing she didn't advance as I am sure they are still playing out there.

I think they were somewhat hamstrung this week by a high school tourney utilizing fields on Saturday but it always a little interesting when the 12's are at Oak Park or the 14s at Louis Park.

As they say at Arnaiz, it's not fairyland, it's Stockton.

I was at Oak when we heard the gunshots (4 or 5) in the distance about 9pm. It was like...."um...ok...time to leave".

You sort of know what you are in for at a Stockton tourney but when you can't see the outfielders cleats at Oak Park in the outfield grass, it is a little disappointing. A mower would be useful...and for the life of me, I have never understood any tourney that does not keep lines chalked or a batters box outlined. I guess they are saving money for use in the bbq or for those world famous root beer floats. :roll:
SeeBallHitBall

by 4swirls » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:19 am

This tournament was horrible. I just see this organization going downhill faster and faster everyday. There is no reason that a tournament schedule can not come out earlier than Thursday and then once It comes out be notified that Changes are being made due to unforeseen issues. Sounds like excuses for unorganized Caios. Oak park was a joke. Poor out fields, absolutely the worst bathroom facilities. Gun shots where players actually hit the ground because they were scared. Not to mention last games didn't finish until well after 10pm. Charged $5 a person no matter what age. At Arnaiz on Sunday had senior discount but a lady in front of me going in the gait got questioned and asked to a see her license to prove she was a senior (great for her) but was than told that wasn't her license and she had to pay the $5. Really!! Sunday games running a minimum of 1hr behind. RR Gold families I would be embarrassed to be a part of this money hungry organization.
4swirls

by strike3at68 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:22 am

Yep,

Everything said in previous posts is 100% true...It was advertised as a 5 game guarantee and since we earned the #1 seed in our pool we were given a bye, but we weren't advised this was the case until 10 minutes before taking the field for our first game and final game Sunday. The bathrooms at Oak were like walking in sewage and our field was never drug or chalked between the first game and the 6:30 game. No food (bbq or snack bar available at this park) and no ice chests allowed. Also, charged a $5 for gate fee which was the most I've ever been charged. Even BLD fields charge around $4 and give you a $1 token to use in their snack bar.

Another problem, though Arnaiz fields are nice for our Sunday play, there was no place to warm-up. Team was forced to walk across the street to a local park, lugging their gear and equipment in order to warm up. The final disappointment was that announcers were to announce the player names at-bat which the girls were looking forward to - this never happened as well.

Here's to hoping we don't patronize RR Gold's future tournaments. :(
strike3at68

by IjustluvSB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:44 am

First we were at Louis park I can speak for oak park however there was gunfire near the apartments next to the park. The girls were scared and after the shots couldn't concentrate on the game.

Remember teams regardless of who's putting on a tournament in Stockton, it's Stockton. Let's face it Stockton is really bad!! My car got broken into at McNair park with four others and it was not a RR gold tournament. I wish they would pay the money and hire security.

And BTW games on Saturday night at Louis ended at 10:45 PM
IjustluvSB

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Couple things:

Oak Park sucks... no matter what. it is only used when Mcnair, Arniaz, and Louis can not be utilized for whatever reason. Oak Park you can take an ice chest wherever you want.. it is a park, no way to keep one out. The City is responsible for Oak park, so sorry grass outfields is on them... but remember my first point... Oak Park sucks, Period. So bitching about Oak Park is like drinking vinegar and then complaining about how bad it tastes.

Games were behind on our field because the 3 games in a row before us started a new inning with about a minute left on the clock... so those games ran late. How is that RR Gold fault? Would you prefer they just did an 85 minute drop dead and revert back?? If you say yes, then you would have people bitching about the fact they did 85 minute drop dead and reverted back.

This is a 5 game guarantee, but anyone that has played for a year or 2 knows that if you finished number 1 seed and got a bye in rd one, your next game is all you get if you lose. been this way forever. A little experience under your belt and you will know that and then wont have to complain about it.

Anyone playing at Arnaiz more than once will know you have no room to warm up. So instead of showing up at Arnaiz and having everyone walk over to the park, all of our parents meet at the park to warm up, then we drive across the street to Arnaiz.... no big deal.

Schedule do get changed often at RR, and that is because so many teams make requests of Bob to give them early or late games. If he did the schedule on Monday and then told you to go to hell when you asked for an early or late start, you would complain that he didn't work with people. I requested late games, we got late games, and we were a team that had to wait 40 minutes for another game to end before we started our last game Saturday night and finished at 10:40 pm... That is just the way it goes, and that is not RR fault that we didn't finish until late. It is what it is.

Tournament entry fee was 435... hardly more expensive than other tourneys. the fact he provides food for coaches and players at all is something NOBODY , and I mean NOBODY else in this area does. No way in hell can he do that at 3 different venues, just from a man power aspect. Amazing that the man gives away free food and a nice area to sit at to eat, and people bitch about it.

IMO, the only legitimate gripe is no security at McNair/Louis/Arniaz fields. We have had enough break ins at those parks that paying someone 10 bucks an hour to walk the parking lot is not too much to ask. That would be about 800 bucks TOTAL for thw eekend, and Im am positive that if Bob stated he was adding 15 dollars per team to pay for security, and then had security, 90% of the people would be happy to do so.

So in short... Oak park sucks, period. if you play there, don't bitch, because just know it will suck before you get there.

We all knew there was going to be changes in schedules, they let us know that and we got what they said we would get. Changes happen becasue of all the requests, that is ALL of our faults because we ask for specific game times, and Bob accommodates as much as ANYONE that runs tourneys. Louis Park fields were maintained all day, every game.

Shots?? well what can bob do about that?
Iluvblue

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:25 pm

How bout this for a suggestion?

How about everybody gets charged 2 bucks each to park and then that money is used to pay for security?

By the way, do you see the difference between the privately operated Arniaz and city ran Louis Park?

Fields/facility nice and clean at Arniaz, and pretty sloppy at Louis? plus, first tourney out, im sure Louis hasn't been touched much in the past few months.
Iluvblue

by Casoftballmomma » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Oak Park you can take an ice chest wherever you want.. it is a park, no way to keep one out.

The RR website specifically says "Park rules: No Pets (inside the park), No Outside food or drinks, players may bring in water or sports drinks, team may bring in one team cooler with drinks only. These are rules supplied by the City of Stockton and we have no control over them, sorry."

This is a 5 game guarantee, but anyone that has played for a year or 2 knows that if you finished number 1 seed and got a bye in rd one, your next game is all you get if you lose. been this way forever. A little experience under your belt and you will know that and then wont have to complain about it.

Funny, it doesn't say a 5 game guarantee unless scenario A, B or C happen. Let us look at the definition:

guar·an·tee(noun) 1. a formal promise or assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled

Hmm, that doesn't say that certain conditions will be fulfilled unless you have a little experience under your belt...basically, you said stick around a while and learn that Bob makes false promises. Good to know, thanks for informing us.

Oak park sucks, period. if you play there, don't bitch, because just know it will suck before you get there.

Again, you're basically informing parents that ducking from gunshots is to be expected, so if parents want to worry about their own safety and the safety of their players, join an RR tournament.

Anyone playing at Arnaiz more than once will know you have no room to warm up.

So common courtesy of informing out of town teams of warm up conditions must not apply here. After all, Bob is such a kind man who feeds hungry players (if they are at the right park).

Louis Park fields were maintained all day, every game.

Yippie for Louis Park fields...such an accomplishment to maintain fields at one park. I guess the fact that there we games at other parks should be overlooked. Only some of the fields need batters boxes and foul lines to be chalked. I'm sure the umps over at the fields with chalk can help make the calls at the fields who were neglected.
Casoftballmomma

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:44 pm

The rules you quoted apply to Arniza(private) and Louis and Mcnair, (City) Oak park is a wide open park. By the way, you can eat in the parking lot all you want. Something that is pretty standard NO MATTER where you play if they are in an ENCLOSED facility. That is just the way it is.

Arniaz and Louis Park fields were prepped every game... cant speak for sorry ass Oak park.

I guess bob could explain what happens if lightning hits, a dog comes and shits on home plate, or a drunk stumbles on the field also. Sorry if you didn't know how his 5 game guarantee brackets work.

Been playing in Stockton tourneys forever. Never worry about my safety. I have heard more people get shot in movie theaters.

I agree with you that a simple note to all teams would be nice informing them of the warm up situation at Arnaiz. Im sure a nice email request to RR of such a thing would be heard. I cant speak for them and what they would do, but being a sarcastic shit on heybucket will certainly not help improve anything.

Trust me, chalked fields will not help some umpire get any calls correct. it took us all of 1/2 an inning before I had to start explaining how obstruction rules are applied in games to an umpire. And of course, Im the bad guy as always because he hadn't a clue that you don't award a base runner the next base, regardless of the fact they were out by about 40ft:)

Informed suggestions will likely improve things for all of us. Bitching for the sake of bitching will not.
Iluvblue

by Casoftballmomma » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 pm

lluvblue, maybe you missed my intentions. I was not "Bitching for the sake of bitching." I was posting in a well-known softball forum so others will know what to expect when they come to RR tournaments. From what I heard at the fields this weekend, a common comment was "What do you expect...it is an RR tournament!" So not only was this tournament poorly run, but this is commonplace for RR. What a disappointment to the softball community!!!

Good umpires or bad umpires aside, chalked fields is just a given when you play a softball game, especially at a competitive level, and especially when teams are charged $435 for the tournament and spectators have to pay $5 to watch their kids play ball. Really, chalked fields is expected.

I'm sure a dog shitting on home plate or a drunk stumbling on the field would have been much more entertaining than ducking from bullets. But then again, maybe not; I'm sure the kids had exciting stories to tell their friends at school today.

Since you'be been playing in Stockton tournaments forever, you must be accustomed to the bullets flying overhead and the gang violence that plagues the area. Some of us aren't so comfortable subjecting ourselves and our children to the woes and threats of the inner city.

I do have an informed suggestion, though. Don't expect a quality tournament when attending one put on by Runnin' Rebels.
Casoftballmomma

Next

Return to NorCal