Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Runnin' Rebels Stockton Tournaments

by izicsz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Take some advice from someone with a little experience. Play in Gary's tournaments in Sac! I have heard these same complaints over and over again! My daughter's past teams have played in Stockton on occasion. I now stick with a team that feels the same way that I do about playing there...... We will not play there! Oh, and just a heads up, Catalytic converters seem to be in high demand at the parking lots of these fields!!!!
izicsz

by 4swirls » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

FYI........Oak Park is no longer ran by the City of Stockton. It has been taken over and is privately run now and has been for the last 2 years. There is now a 8ft fence that completely surrounds both fields and they regulate what comes through the gait. There for no food or ice chests can be brought in. The gait was monitored by RR staff. Charging $5 to sit in filthy conditions and walk through mud, and no bathroom to use without catching a disease. Bringing in porta potties would have been better. Can not do anything about the gun fire but should not have had 12 yr olds playing so late.
4swirls

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 pm

I want the same as you, trust me.

years ago I complained heavily to those running tournaments about crappy fields that were NEVER prepped after the 8 am game, and that is not a joke. Fields would get dragged prior to the 8 am game, and then not again for the rest of the day. Water between games??? lol, never, Chalk on base lines? Only on Tv.... that was not that long ago, maybe 4-5 years ago.

That has now changed. Fields are chalked now NORMALLY between every game, and at the least, every other game. During Summer, we normally get water on fields all day long, and they are normally prepped each game. So things have drastically changed for the better. We got the backstops at Arnaiz fixed a few years back so you don't have flying balls from field to field.

Us teams and parents are THE PAYING CUSTOMER. Trust me, those in charge of running tournaments hear you, and the number one way they hear is when the tournament has very few teams. But if you want REAL change, Im just suggesting that you send a friendly email making a suggestion. They may like your suggestion and make some changes. They may dismiss your suggestion, but at least they will be made aware of your concerns.

Stockton does not have shots going off all over the place every weekend. And there is a bigger threat of violence from the stands... at least in my case:)

As far as playing in sac? I have no problems with Stockton tourneys, and I am actually pretty critical. But my major concerns are field related. I know I cant bring food in, so I bring it and leave it in the car.

Im not an apologist for anyone running tourneys. I think too many people are just too quick to be whining and complaining instead of working for better change, which in reality is the way our society is these days.

So besides letting people know about Arnaiz warm up area, I don't have any real complaints about this weekend. Our games were late on Saturday. Big deal, not Bob's fault. We had good umps (for the most part, nothing out of the ordinary), and we had lots of teams, which is what we all want to see.
Iluvblue

by Casoftballmomma » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Lluvblue, I'm glad to hear we want the same thing. It seems as though we'd like to see our girls playing in quality, well-run tournaments so they can compete and improve their softball skills.

It seems to me that this issue has been distorted and convaluted by non-issues, like dogs crapping on home plate.

While your experience was positive this weekend, it seems as though many others did not have the same experience. I assume you were in the 14s age group and the 12s age group had a different experience.

Aside from the safety concerns and parking lot security issues, there were many other issues:

1. Brackets & field locations were not finalized until very early Friday morning.

2. Some teams had a long, extended day due to bracketing of pool play, starting games at 9 in the morning and finishing games close to 8 in the evening.

3. Teams were told there would be a 5 game guarantee. At least three teams only got to play 4 games.

4. Games were behind schedule, ranging from 30 minutes to 90 minutes off the original start time.

5. Fields were not chalked or maintained at one of the parks.

6. The BBQ was only available to a limited number of teams.

7. Bathrooms were filthy at one of the parks. Words won't do justice the level of filth and disgust at the bathrooms.

8. An entrance fee was charged for filthy, unmaintained parks, with some people being harassed about their age.

9. Despite being told names would be announced at Arnaiz, names of batters were not announced.

10. Warm-up facilities were not provided at Arnaiz park.

All 10 of those issues could have been handled and addressed prior to the tournament, so it could run smoothly. This is not the first time the Runnin' Rebels have hosted a tournament. I have been to many other RR tournaments, and many, if not all of them, presented the same issues. It is an embarrassment to the RR organization, and quite frankly, the softball community as a whole.

I fully support teams taking their business elsewhere. The tournaments in Sacramento are run much better than this, and the quality of competition in Sacramento is much higher.

It is sad to see the RR organization continue to fall apart. There are lots of good athletes in the area who are missing out on quality, competitive tournaments by playing in ones run by RR.
Casoftballmomma

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 pm

This is only MY OPINION. I have nothing to do with RR Gold and certainly do not speak for them. My repsonses are only based upon my experience and attending RR tourneys for 15 years.

1. Brackets & field locations were not finalized until very early Friday morning.
I addressed this earlier. This happens due to the number of requests made by coaches to swith game times. I agree with you.. Bob should just say screw you all, make brackets and you get what you get... but he tries to accommodate everyone. Going to be criticized for either way he goes. From MY perspective.. I dont care. I know my day is spent at the field all day Saturday.

2. Some teams had a long, extended day due to bracketing of pool play, starting games at 9 in the morning and finishing games close to 8 in the evening.

Never going to get around this. Fairly good sized tourney. You play travel ball, days like that are going to happen.

3. Teams were told there would be a 5 game guarantee. At least three teams only got to play 4 games.
Addressed this also. By the way, NO OTHER TOURNEY I have ever been to gives you 5 games for that price. Those teams are getting more for less IMO. Does Ybarra give you 5 games for $ 435?

4. Games were behind schedule, ranging from 30 minutes to 90 minutes off the original start time.
What do you propose to solve this? Drop dead games? or do you want your kids playing competitive games with a real winner? NO TOURNEY can ensure games end on time unless you have drop dead games.

5. Fields were not chalked or maintained at one of the parks.
agreed... and that place sucks and not going to change. Fortunately, those fields will probably not be used again all year, until memorial day.

6. The BBQ was only available to a limited number of teams.
IMO, too bad. He is the ONLY tourney that gives free food to coaches and players. I guess he could not give any food to anyone to make everyone happy?

7. Bathrooms were filthy at one of the parks. Words won't do justice the level of filth and disgust at the bathrooms.
Fair complaint. Someoen said those are now no longer ran by city, so who runs them? Should be clean restrooms available.

8. An entrance fee was charged for filthy, unmaintained parks, with some people being harassed about their age.

no comment, I wasnt there.

9. Despite being told names would be announced at Arnaiz, names of batters were not announced.

agreed. Dont tell people you are going to do it, and not do it. Just say nothing and if it gets done, nobody will even know it was an option.

10. Warm-up facilities were not provided at Arnaiz park.
There is room at park across street. You cant make room out of a complex that doesnt have room. Not RR issue. I agree, a simple email would take care of that issue for teams not knowing.

So for me, I agree with you on 2-3 of your 10 issues.

Most of the issues revolve around using sorry Oak Park, which wont be used again except for possibly Memorial day.
Eliminate Oak Park, and IMO there isnt much to complain about. This is JMO of course.
Iluvblue

by texmex45 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Agreed.....If you want a quality tournament, play in Gary's tournaments. I am not a shill for Gary and I know there has been criticism in the past that he cherry-picks for his own team, but who cares? The fields are always top-notch, and you don't have to fear for your life. Folks, Stockton is a crap-hole no matter how you slice it. Combine that with an organization that is clueless on how to host a tournament, and you have chaos. It just isn't worth it!
texmex45

by jtat32 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 pm

I bet they didn't let you bring in a poodle in your purse, either. I'd sue.

Your hysterics "reporting" those things that are common knowledge for most of us completely destroys your credibility. Do you really think anyone here believes that people were "harassed" over their age? You are indignant because RR Gold didn't "provide" warmup areas at Arnaiz?

Forgive my skepticism that it was raining lead on the fields.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Casoftballmomma » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Jtat32, I knew there were 11 grievances.

Thanks for helping jar my memory

#11. They didn't let me bring in my sweet little Pookie.

I can rest sound tonight knowing you helped me realize the true source of my indignation.
Casoftballmomma

by softballmomma#1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I will say that my only complaint would be playing at oak park. Everything else comes with the territory of travel softball.
softballmomma#1

by username17 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 pm

I just have one question.

Why do the field prep crews refuse to chalk the batters box after the first game.

We have gotten in heated arguments over the years in Stockton both Grapettes and RR Gold of why chalk the boxes for the first game and never again,

Softball by the nature of the game needs chalked boxes. Girls judged to be out of the box is a judgement call. How can you ask for help from the field umpire if there is no reference point? I have spoken to grounds crew folks who all say it's too difficult.

Don't chalk the boxes for the first game then!

Frustrating.

Arnaiz is so much improved these days. Very clean and enjoyable place to view games now. Especially with the improved fences.
Louis is still a dump. New dirt is a plus but bathrooms are awful.

Overall we had a good weekend and still appreciate the BBQ and the fact that they provide tournaments for us to play in!
username17

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal