Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

14U NorCal/SoCal Experience (Civil War) Scores

by onlooker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 pm

PitchersDad99 wrote:My DD's 99's team went to SoCal quite a bit in Fall and played 16's. They did very well with a winning percentage 0f around .700. And they were able to do that even though the brilliant softball minds from this forum who create rankings did not have them listed. And yes, they played in the better events. They did play 14's once because Surf City automatically bracketed them in the 14's.

KG Hitters right now is the very team you describe. They took on the teams from SoCal and won. That means we have some very talented kids who can handle any competition.
In my opinion it is not the studs that we in NorCal are lacking, but it is the complimentary players that are not up to speed. Because SoCal has such a huge population to draw from, they have a plethora of girls who are B+ to A- skill wise. Having that kind of 5 through 9 and bench players is truly the difference. Any team with studs 1 through 9 and bench is going to be an incredible nightmare for any coach. The parents would tear that kind of team apart in a matter of a couple of months. A spring team can be that type of team because everyone knows it is just for the spring and then back to the regular team, but I bet there is still some grumblings in the stands, jmho. The best teams that I saw in SoCal had a few really good players and the rest were good, i.e. no holes in the lineup. I did not see any teams that had mashers 1-9, but they did have consistent speed throughout the lineup, which we in NorCal are lacking.

I just want to clarify a few things., not intending to bash or argue by any stretch.

first and foremost I know you have a good pulse on nor call 99's. Need to keep stats realistic though. Maybe I am missing some data?

1. The Breeze fall .700 winning percentage was NOT against so cal teams for sure. I'm really not sure where that around .700 number comes from. (Google: Breeze 14U 2013 gamechanger fall). I count your record as 2-4-3 or .200 winning percentage vs so cal teams at best in the fall. 14-7-3 overall record for fall per gamechanger, or a little better thean .500 vs all teams played (.583). Maybe a 5-0 trny is missing from Nor Cal? if so, that would have put them at 19-7-3 which is still only .655 overall.

2. Breeze were not ranked around here last year because only 1-3 99 teams were worthy of that list (if i recall that would have been Miller, KG and Team Cali, maybe sorcerer??). This year they are a 2nd year 14U and would be in everyone's top 10, and probably everyone's top 5. At least they would be in my top 5 up here. who are they? KG, Sorcerer, FC Miller, then the next group which is probably Breeze, FC Stone and ???? (no disrespect to SJ Sting or Cal Nuggets meant, wont have an ideal til summer on you). Did i miss anyone?

3. I agree 100% that the complimentary players are the difference. I think in nor cal's case most teams have a need still, including KG (see recent add looking for a PITCHER!!!). However, i do think that a stud team can be assembled and it can work. (winning a title isnt the object, creating exposure for the girls on team is. A title (or national success) only increases that exposure.

Hope that came across as discussion material not arguing material.
onlooker

by PitchersDad99 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:59 pm

I only used my Darling Daughters team to prove a point that we in NorCal are not far behind talent wise, but that we are behind in population. There was no horn tooting on my part. That being said, you should know that all games are not on gamechanger. By my count the team was 13-6-2 in SoCal. I may have been off a little with the winning percentage but that was because I did it in my head while typing. There were many games that could have gone either way and the record could be totally different, but c'est la vie (that is life). Oh and by the way the best competition for sure was the tournament where we were bracketed in the 14's by Surf City.

So, go rustle up some stats and I'll see you back here in 15 minutes.

Hurry the clock is ticking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Google Anyone :D :roll: :D
PitchersDad99

by onlooker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Like I said maybe gamechanger was missing some data. I never took what you said as tooting your DD's teams horn. Facts are facts and breeze are one of the better 99 teams here. Was that the surf city pre-thanksgiving tourney where you were seeded as 14's?
onlooker

by fairball » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:14 pm

In my opinion it is not the studs that we in NorCal are lacking, but it is the complimentary players that are not up to speed. Because SoCal has such a huge population to draw from, they have a plethora of girls who are B+ to A- skill wise. Having that kind of 5 through 9 and bench players is truly the difference. Any team with studs 1 through 9 and bench is going to be an incredible nightmare for any coach. The parents would tear that kind of team apart in a matter of a couple of months. A spring team can be that type of team because everyone knows it is just for the spring and then back to the regular team, but I bet there is still some grumblings in the stands, jmho. The best teams that I saw in SoCal had a few really good players and the rest were good, i.e. no holes in the lineup. I did not see any teams that had mashers 1-9, but they did have consistent speed throughout the lineup, which we in NorCal are lacking.

Finally, a well thought out post on the subject. ;) Don't forget that it is still very early for the teams up North. How many tournaments have the Northern teams played in thus far? I would add another factor. Here is a hint....look outside! I would hope that the Southern teams would be ahead of the Northern teams at this stage in the season considering that they have been playing in tourneys and friendlies since mid January. Those teams play about 335-340 days a year. Some of the Northern teams that competed in this event have not seen action since November! Nothing can be done about the weather. It is what it is. While your checking out Gamechanger, also look to see how many games those Southern teams have already played in. Like someone said earlier, there were a lot of very close games. The summer should prove to be very interesting after some of the elite NorCal teams have time to play a little catch up. I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions just yet.
fairball

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:38 am

I agree with the comments about NorCal needing help in the 5-9 area on each team, but that pretty much ends where I agree...

First you just can't use the "weather" excuse! This is Cali and I tell you it's a lame excuse to use. I'm in NorCal many times throughout the year so whatever... In my view, two things stood out bigtime. 1) I saw better athletes from SoCal as a whole. Girls were in better softball shape and looked fitter. Many of the SoCal organizations work with speed and agility facilities to improve their players. In most cases at a reduced cost. Those that dont realize they need to do it and find a facility. Understand that's when comparing teams from top to bottom! 2) I feel coaching from SoCal stood out as a group when comparing to NorCal. In my experience the gap won't close as much as you all think. SoCal girls also return from High school and the other keep on getting better.

Overall it was a good experience to see different teams in a different setting. Good for both North and South. It's safe to say everyone has work to do!
tbjd33

by fairball » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 am

[quote][ In my view, two things stood out bigtime. 1) I saw better athletes from SoCal as a whole./quote]

Exactly. Larger population/more athletes to select from.

[quote][Girls were in better softball shape and looked fitter. /quote]

Exactly. That is what happens when you play year around. Wait, I though that you didn't agree. Neither one sounds like an excuse to me. Both are facts. Thanks for validating both without even realizing it :roll:
fairball

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 am

fairball wrote:
[ In my view, two things stood out bigtime. 1) I saw better athletes from SoCal as a whole./quote]

Exactly. Larger population/more athletes to select from.

[Girls were in better softball shape and looked fitter. /quote]

Exactly. That is what happens when you play year around. Wait, I though that you didn't agree. Neither one sounds like an excuse to me. Both are facts. Thanks for validating both without even realizing it :roll:

Quick fact based off 2010 Census... There were just over 38 million people in California. Now draw an imaginary line across Cali above Santa Barbara county which is where the imaginary line divides North and South. Surprise it is a roughly a 55 to 45 split in population. Not as great of a divide in population as you portray.
tbjd33

by fairball » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:59 am

Please! Your actually trying to make an argument for population similarities and the total talent pool being equal. Your credibility has been lost my friend.
fairball

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:13 am

fairball wrote:Please! Your actually trying to make an argument for population similarities and the total talent pool being equal. Your credibility has been lost my friend.

Population similarities? What could that possibly mean? You complained of a dramatic difference in population and based off numbers that's false... Now please explain population similarities! Then we can deal with the weather issue as well...
tbjd33

by fairball » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:26 am

Your right. There is no difference in population density by region, the talent pool is the same North of Santa Barbara, or whatever you said, and Northern teams do play in tournaments/showcases/friendlies every month of the calendar year. :roll:
fairball

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal