Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

14U NorCal/SoCal Experience (Civil War) Scores

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:03 pm

fairball wrote:Your right. There is no difference in population density by region, the talent pool is the same North of Santa Barbara, or whatever you said, and Northern teams do play in tournaments/showcases/friendlies every month of the calendar year. :roll:

Quit moaning and groaning... Move your family to SoCal and your problem is solved... Right?

Life just isn't "fair" Mr Fairball!!
tbjd33

by jtat32 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:36 pm

tbjd33 wrote:Quick fact based off 2010 Census... There were just over 38 million people in California. Now draw an imaginary line across Cali above Santa Barbara county which is where the imaginary line divides North and South. Surprise it is a roughly a 55 to 45 split in population. Not as great of a divide in population as you portray.

I don't have any interest in the NorCal/SoCal debate, but this is funny. You picked a point at which roughly half the population lives above and half the population lives below, called the two halves NorCal and SoCal, and then said - "look, half the population lives in SoCal and half the population lives in NorCal". Surprising how that worked out!

Take a look at a map and see where Santa Barbara sits with regard to the geography of the state.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 pm

jtat32 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:Quick fact based off 2010 Census... There were just over 38 million people in California. Now draw an imaginary line across Cali above Santa Barbara county which is where the imaginary line divides North and South. Surprise it is a roughly a 55 to 45 split in population. Not as great of a divide in population as you portray.

I don't have any interest in the NorCal/SoCal debate, but this is funny. You picked a point at which roughly half the population lives above and half the population lives below, called the two halves NorCal and SoCal, and then said - "look, half the population lives in SoCal and half the population lives in NorCal". Surprising how that worked out!

Take a look at a map and see where Santa Barbara sits with regard to the geography of the state.

Good observation... Generally everything north of Santa Barbara is considered NorCal. Pretty much you can drive 150-200 miles without any significant population. Mostly farming communities or awesome coastal beach towns. Possibly less than 1 million people, but hey adding that to SoCal numbers won't change much.
tbjd33

by jtat32 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Point is that the population density of SoCal, and the sprawling suburban organization of the region does give the area some advantages to produce competitive softball teams. There are many other factors, though, as well.

This whole discussion seems like a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing, though. You can draw infinite lines for the sake of comparison - USA vs rest of world, East vs West, etc, etc. None of it means anything, though. The only distinction that really matters at the moment, is SoCal Athletics vs Everyone Else. At least at the PGF HS level.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:48 pm

jtat32 wrote:Point is that the population density of SoCal, and the sprawling suburban organization of the region does give the area some advantages to produce competitive softball teams. There are many other factors, though, as well.

This whole discussion seems like a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing, though. You can draw infinite lines for the sake of comparison - USA vs rest of world, East vs West, etc, etc. None of it means anything, though. The only distinction that really matters at the moment, is SoCal Athletics vs Everyone Else. At least at the PGF HS level.

Can't be a hater... Until someone knocks them off that's right.
tbjd33

by JimineyCricket » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 am

I have a story to tell from the recent Civil War weekend, which I believe will help explain the reasons for the difference between the product currently put on the field in NorCal and SoCal. If you believe that there is no difference between your NorCal DD or her team and her SoCal counterparts, please don't try to convince me of that fact, just assume this story isn't meant for you.

Most of the players from my DD's team attended the Friday night clinic put on by Corona Angels coach Marty Tyson and others. In all, there were about 70 of NorCal's top 14u '00 players (and their parents) at this clinic. At one point in the night, Coach Tyson asked for an infielder to come forward to throw in a demonstration. A young lady from one of NorCal's top teams (it doesn't matter which one - this isn't about any one team) stood up, and identified herself as an infielder. Coach Tyson had her make an "infield throw" to her partner, which she did. She was very proud of herself, as were her teammates and their parents. Coach Tyson stopped her next throw mid-motion, and proceeded to point out several significant flaws in her "infield" throwing motion (she was, in essence, not making an "infield" throw at all, but rather an "outfield" throw), explained why the flaws were detrimental to her game (current and future), and then gave a very short demonstration on correcting those flaws. To her credit, the player listened and tried to change her motion, but it was obvious she was being taught something new. Coach Tyson then commented on how important it is that when your daughter practices her throws every day, she do it correctly. The parents then proceeded to argue amongst themselves about that statement, one-third arguing Coach was obviously exaggerating, and one-third arguing that Coach was obviously crazy. The final third completely missed what Coach was really saying.

With all due respect to all the geography majors on this board, IMO this story captures most of what really causes the difference between NorCal and SoCal players and teams.
JimineyCricket

by bleacherspy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 am

BULLSEYE Jiminey!!!!!!
bleacherspy

by fairball » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 am

Exactly. You can bring a horse to water but... Also, if you can't figure out how to make adjustments as an athlete and be coachable by 14s in SoCal, you are simply replaced by the next stellar athlete waiting to take your place that can. I don't think Mr. Tyson has or needs the patience to work with athletes that can't make adjustments.
fairball

by handsinsidetheball » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:18 pm

I want to thank everyone who came out to the Civil War/NorCal v SoCal Experience. It was a great weekend and salute to James and Armando and the entire Salinas Storm Organization for their hard work.

We have the luxury ( softball only) of being in Central California where we can travel South and North both in around 2/3 hours, give or take for traffic. We travel every weekend that we play, usually 2/3 weekends a month. We see the top teams from North and South very frequently.

Here is my observation.

The top talent is very similar. The top teams are very similar. Simple as that.

Is there more teams with that type of talent in SoCal. I think so. Is there as talented kids in NorCal as there are in SoCal. I think so.

One of the main goals of the this event was to create a buzz about 14U softball in California and see the best teams/kids/coaches come together and get at it. Looks like it did. Let's hope for another great event next year.

Mike Wallace
Central California Dirt Dogs - Wallace
handsinsidetheball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fairball » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Well said Mike!
fairball

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal