Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Good Luck and be safe!!! Memorial Day nears!

by Ball Hog » Thu May 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Did anyone get hurt? How did the younger teams stack up? There was a lot of concern before the tournament now all is quite.
Ball Hog

by CTCBAT » Fri May 30, 2014 8:28 am

Looking at the brackets Foothill Gold Niccum went 3-2-2 made the gold bracket, and won their 1st game in single elimination. I'd dare to say they were playing in a spot they belonged? I'd also say they probably could have found some better 14U teams to play, but like I said before this was a weaker tournament.
CTCBAT

by onlooker » Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am

CTCBAT wrote:Looking at the brackets Foothill Gold Niccum went 3-2-2 made the gold bracket, and won their 1st game in single elimination. I'd dare to say they were playing in a spot they belonged? I'd also say they probably could have found some better 14U teams to play, but like I said before this was a weaker tournament.

Yep, they had a good run no one is denying that, However I do not think it is a measuring stick of if they should have been there when their peers were in 16's. I would be shocked if the consensus here isn't that they would have struggled playing their peers who took 1st through 3rd in 16's. Would have liked to have seen them there so we could measure if any real improvement (which of course is the hope for all). I'm sure pitching is the real only issue (isn't it for all?), not desire or drive of the girls, coaches or families. I did notice an ad for a pitcher immediately from them saying only 2 on roster, yet 3 listed on roster on website. Not sure how to read into that?
onlooker

by CTCBAT » Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Well your concern was "safety" and it's safe to say they were in their element. I don't know that team at all. I just know the big bad 18 teams you thought they may get beat up by weren't even in that tournament. Ybarra's tournaments are fair to good tournaments, but the elite 18 teams don't go there.

It's not a secret.
CTCBAT

by onlooker » Fri May 30, 2014 1:26 pm

An injury would not have made me right, them going 8-0 would note have made you right....its just a statement of concern.

TODAY, I'm STILL concerned for any 14-15 year old's safety playing against any 17-18 year old in ANY sport. I STILL have no problem saying this, and I will point it out again when any team jump to 18's. This concern is also for high school ball!
onlooker

by skoufax » Sat May 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Onlooker - This may very well be my last HB post as the older one is moving on to college after the summer and the 14 year-old isn't playing at the moment. Having watched more ball than I ever imagined over the last 10 years I have to say that I agree with you completely. I watched the team in question play and there is no doubt they handled themselves well and competed but.... how they played is secondary to the reality of the potential for injury. There is no comparison between a 14 year old girl and a fully developed 18 year old woman. The way some of those kids swing the bat combined with the bats these days is a bit scary. I know many will argue that since Niccum did fairly well negates your argument but to me, the actual performance is not the point. And, I believe a girl did get injured... You know, as many have mentioned above, if teams stayed in their age group we would have a VERY competetive region. I would say the teams in the 18 divison that made the gold bracket were fairly good while the entire silver bracket was suspect and in my opinion, the 16's offered better competition (and more fun to be honest to play your peers). But even some of the worst 18 teams can have girls with much more power, size and strength. So, it's interesting to see you bet beat up a little for expressing concern about the safety of the girls but I think you can't ever worry too much.
skoufax

by CTCBAT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 am

Potentially if I play the lotto I can win. They entered a weak 18 tournament. Get over it.
CTCBAT

by skoufax » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:50 am

CTCBAT - I can only assume you commented so that you would have the last word on this thread about safety and concern for the girls. As was pointed out earlier, the level of play was not the issue and yet in post after post from you it is apparant that you want that to be the issue. So, I am going to have the last word on this and suggest that it is you who should get over it first......
skoufax

by CTCBAT » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:14 am

You know what they say about assumptions....

You guys are taking playing up WAY out of proportion and throwing "safety" in there as the catchall. There are 14U teams that routinely beat quality 18G teams locally. It's apparent you just don't know the playing field and your belly aching is tiresome. You can respond and have the last word, but if I had a concern about my kids safety I wouldn't put it on Heybucket. I'd address it properly. There are alternatives (NSA, DF) if you feel you need a safety net?
CTCBAT

Previous

Return to NorCal