Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Travel Ball & High School Sports

by Black&Red00 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:00 am

Curious how other travel ball clubs/teams handle players playing high school sports.

DD's team encouraged players to play high school sports since it is good to have a well-rounded, multi-sport athlete. Head coach said those who play high school sports would not have to attend weeknight practices if they had high school practice/game but would have to attend the mandatory weekend practice. Parents of players who do not play high school sports are getting upset and feel the players who play high school sports and are missing the weeknight practices should not be starters on the team and one of the assistant coaches now agree. It is beginning to cause problems on the team.
Black&Red00

by socalmarauders » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:24 pm

As both a high school and travel ball coach I say it depends on how hard the girls work at their high school practice. Our high school does it the other way around, bending a bit around the travel ball practice schedule as those are more than likely more intense practices than the high school,

Overall no one should complain because if the coach keeps his starters based strictly on ability and they are getting work in at the school I don't see a problem with what the coach is doing.

If I wasn't a starter I would allow those 'starters' to keep doing what they are doing and try my best to impress the travel ball coach when I had my opportunity to do so.
Marauders Softball
Coach: Charlie Jones
http://www.marauderssoftball.com
socalmarauders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 pm

The simple solution is to not have "starters" in fall. This period should be used for development and giving all the players an opportunity to show what they can do.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to NorCal