Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

How Early is Too Early?

by sacval00dad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:52 am

To frame the question, my DD is 14. She just finished her freshman year in high school and is playing for an 18s team for the first time this summer. Over the years in travel ball we have made our trips all over CA, NV and a couple trips to OR for ASA. As an incoming Sophomore, the college recruiting tours are beginning to crank up and the travel schedule is a crazy, but I am thinking this is about the right time.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has a DD in 12s. They get kicked around pretty good in their hometown ASA tournaments, yet on their summer schedule they have two trips to SoCal and a week in CO.

This isn't the normal "if you can't win anything in town, why travel" question. It's more a question of what is the benefit of spending a week in CO, about an $8k investment if you include the money mom and dad aren't making at work that week, for a group of 11 year olds? Of course there are the arguments about the 'experiences' and 'memories' these trips create, but can't those also come from a hundred miles away?

How early is too early?
sacval00dad

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:26 pm

sacval00dad wrote:To frame the question, my DD is 14. She just finished her freshman year in high school and is playing for an 18s team for the first time this summer. Over the years in travel ball we have made our trips all over CA, NV and a couple trips to OR for ASA. As an incoming Sophomore, the college recruiting tours are beginning to crank up and the travel schedule is a crazy, but I am thinking this is about the right time.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has a DD in 12s. They get kicked around pretty good in their hometown ASA tournaments, yet on their summer schedule they have two trips to SoCal and a week in CO.

This isn't the normal "if you can't win anything in town, why travel" question. It's more a question of what is the benefit of spending a week in CO, about an $8k investment if you include the money mom and dad aren't making at work that week, for a group of 11 year olds? Of course there are the arguments about the 'experiences' and 'memories' these trips create, but can't those also come from a hundred miles away?

How early is too early?

To me It's all about having fun at that age so if you can reasonably afford that fun then I say go for it.

FWIW I think 12U is too early for travel ball. The most fun is in REC ball at that age (maybe any age).
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CTCBAT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:43 am

Honestly the question of "is it worth it" is a personal one. I'd ask yourself this. If you're going to go through all of this and at the end get nothing in return (no scholarship, no memories, etc) would you do it again?

I don't think there's an age limit on travel, and if you're going to do it...do it...if not...don't. Don't half step. Don't wait.
CTCBAT

by rbi » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 am

Looking back, we did the Hall OF Fame Tourney in OKC at 12u, something my kid will never forget. She was lucky enough to make a return trip this year, and she had all types of flashbacks, came full circle.... Keep in mind back in those days we as 12u would have to travel to god for saken places to play for a national title, so we were used to spending big bucks every stinking year, and oh btw you cant make a vacation out of places like Montgomery AL, or Austin Texas in July, you dont even want to get out of the car its so stinking bad outside. People dont realize how luck they are today with not having to travel so much. Now with that being said 12u to Colorado is crazy IMO, unless as a family you decide we are going to make it into a vacation and see the sights of Colorado between games and before or after tourney check out the area. I know we as a family alternated parents going each year, just to save some bucks and still have a parent with the kid. Some parents (and i think this is nuts btw), would let little Suzy travel with another family and not go at all, due to financial/job reasons. I would NOT recommend this, at any age, just asking for problems...

Now when i hear teams that are going to Colorado at 14/16's, and then turning back around and playing in the Champions Cup for another week, that is pure insanity. Its one or the other or neither IMO, not both for many many reasons....
Last edited by rbi on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CTCBAT » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:47 pm

I agree with RBI on a sensible schedule. I think two one week long tournaments in the summer is enough.
CTCBAT

by Baller454 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Great comments and perspective. My kids are older now and wonder if I made the right calls. We had them play travel at 14+ and then limit to one travel sport in junior years. Getting a drivers license helped with practices but it was hard to balance the short time we have with them before they leave, sports and good grades.

Always trying to find balance. You'll know you got it right if they still want to talk to you after they leave the house. LOL.
Baller454

Return to NorCal