Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

12u vs 14u Fall

by catstew » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:43 pm

DD is 13 and has been offered a spot on a highly reputable 12u dream team for Fall, she's also been offered a 14u spot on a team that will do a showcase. Usually girls should move up in Fall..thoughts? Should she do 12u to get foot in door with Dream organization(nationals, PGF, high caliber universities) or 14u showcase, D2, universities we've never heard of 4.0 student. Thoughts from those that have traveled this road ?
catstew
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aparent » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Why does the dream team need/want a player aging up? Would be my first question.

As for the question of what path to take, that depends on a sober assessment of her skill. My DD is not going to play D1 ball, at least not high D1. So I see no reason to have her playing on a team that is focused, and stakes their reputation, on getting kids to OK or UCLA. it simply is not the right fit. I see other players that are competitive beasts and would go crazy playing on a team that doesn't win the vast majority of their games.

My 13 year old is my oldest so I not coming from the been there done that perspective, but those I know and trust tell me basically that ANY kid that sticks it out through 18u and has had a degree of success in TB will have a home in college, whether it is their dream school or they get a fat scholarship is another matter.

so it really depends on her skill and goals. The one thing I stay away from now is the allure of getting on that big name team just for the sake of being on the big name team. It is tempting, but if it is not the right fit for you kid's skill level then the frustrations of being on a team like that will far outweigh the pride you or her feel from the name on the jersey.

so take off the parent glasses and put on the coach glasses and really look at your kid honestly and then put her in the best place you can for her to enjoy and grow her game and achieve her goals.
aparent

by SeeBallHitBall » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 pm

I think you should ask her what she wants to do.

It sounds like there will be significant travel with one organization and hard to say with the other. Are you and is she prepared for that? I just returned last week from about a month of travel starting at IDT and ending 4 states later. I need a vacation from my vacation.

Is she prepared to start making school lists, sending emails of game schedules, emails updates and follow up with schools to let them know how she is doing, attending camps so there is a face with the name, etc.

If you go with a high profile organization, you are on that path. Do you have a fair assessment of your daughter's ability? Will she be number 24/25 at a major university, essentially a practice player for the starters but having to go through off season workouts at 7am, or can she be a contributing player on a D2 team, getting significant academic money through her grades.

I personally think she should play on the 14 team and then if she feels that is not stretching her enough, go to to the summer tryout for the 14U high end team or she just might find her niche on the fall 14 team.
SeeBallHitBall

by SwingMan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:43 am

Move up and stay age pure. No need to play "down" or "up" until you are through your fist year 14s.
SwingMan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to NorCal