Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

What are the top softball teams/programs in Nor Cal?

by ice_67 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:06 am

Used to live up in the San Jose/Cupertino area 15 years ago. Might move back and wondering what are the top programs in the Bay Area?
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by NorCal96 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 am

East Bay or South Bay? Sorcerers is a good organization and San Jose Sting usually has some strong teams.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
NorCal96

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 am

"Organizations" are only as strong as the coaches coaching individual teams. Just playing for organization X does not mean the team will be really strong. Now in the Gold division you can pretty much bank on the top "Top" teams remaining there. Kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy. Everyone assumes they are the best, so good players go to them, they they remain the best.

Obviously Scorcerers are the team everyone is looking at right now. It can change from year to year.

I would be picking the Sting 14u in the youngers, because they have a very experienced coach and a dominant pitcher. Actually think they might be 16u this year.
Iluvblue

by CrushersDad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 am

How about the Sacramento valley and North?
CrushersDad

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 am

Breeze were always the big dog from Sac, but are they still?? Have they qualified for Gold in the last several years? Im not being sarcastic, I really dont know the answer.

I heard Breeze 14u were good last year, but we never saw them over the entire Summer. Roseville heat had a good team several years ago, but again, that was one team, not the entire organization.

Who else is there???? I dont even know anymore. Seems like Sac should have some powerhouse teams.

Lady Magic have the best team in that area, but organization?

And again, in 14u, and 12u it constantly changes. You rarely have coaches that stay in those ages, they move up with their kid, so very little continuity. Just because a coach is coaching in a "Quality organization," doesnt mean they are good. I have seen weak teams in EVERY Norcal organization at one point or another.
Iluvblue

by mr.flamboyant » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:45 am

You cant have this discussion without including the Grapettes somewhere in it
mr.flamboyant

by dittoz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 am

Can only comment on the Central Valley teams for the most part...

With the impact of the local economy, some teams and organizations in Northern California continue to feel the effects. Some of the more notable organizations come to light and the more significant ones are listed below.

Breeze;
16u - last season ('94's) were quite good locally at the 14u level, partly by coaching and partly by sheer talent. Played in virtually all 16u tourneys before returning to 14's in Metros and sweeping the series. Played to a 13th place finish in GA this summer. They will be strong again as they move to 16's.
14u
95's - recent roster changes - impact remains to be seen.
"13u"
96's - team are always strong hitters and remain a competitive group.
--- Both 95's and '96's need to compete in larger tournaments to provide a better picture of their respective strengths.

Lady Magic:
18G - 16u Nat Champs in '08. Some challenges as they play in 18G now, but always a strong group.
14u - The old Fire / Ice 96's. Have gone through some rebuilding but the core remains - good coaching - success also remains to be seen, but they are always a threat.
12u - came over recently from Rocklin Hype and have gone through some rebuilding. Time will also tell where they stand.

Roseville Heat:
18G - made a change or two and remains a strong team in the area.
16U - (95's) have gone through an almost complete roster turnover since they moved from 14's - Probably still in need of impact pitching and key defensive positions.
14u - (96's) just moved up. Time and experience will bring more maturity to this team.
12u - remains to be seen

Foothill Gold ;
16u - Will be a locally competitive team. Higher successes yet to be seen

Mizuno AA;
Teams at every level, but prolonged successes remain evasive at all levels.
12u was the #1 finisher in Tracy Western Nationals, but this team broke up at the end of the season.

CC Comets;
18G - Very young players at the 18G level will limit their success
18u - Off and on successes - recent additions may prove helpful
16u - still looking for the consistent success
14u - a new team in '08, still looking for the magic combination
12u - new for fall '09

A few other teams out there but with moves and changes, it's too early to say who/what else will be strong at the higher levels. Outside the immediate area, Sorcerers (as stated) remain in the spotlight. Grapettes are always contenders at various levels and AASA joins the group of changes but could still be a threat at all levels. Coming down from the mountain, watch for Nevada Lightning '94.

Over in the Bay, keep an eye on the Sting and the Lady Sharks out of San Jose. NorCal Shockers out of Martinez played in the ASA Gold Championships this summer, finishing in the group midpack - remains to be seen what they have going forward. Lastly, don't overlook the Valley Stompers or Lady Hustle out of the east bay. A quality team may emerge there in the near future as well...
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by CheckWriter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Sarah Norwood always does a great job with her 12s. They "graduate" with sound fundamentals all the way around. I'm sure she misses her mom on the field.

http://www.grapettes.com/pages/12U.html
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I miss her mom.
Iluvblue

by NorCal96 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Nice job Dittoz. Anyone have comments on Rocklin Hype, Davis Lady Demons, Cordova Fury or East County Hot Shots?

I think the Fury has a a single team, (smart, less drama that way) and I think they are second year 14's. Last season they were a good team with solid defense and a strong pitcher. I've noticed one of the parents keeps stats on a laptop and has for years. I bet he's got stats on all of our teams (maybe a few SoCal too).
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
NorCal96

Next

Return to NorCal