Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

How did everyone look at RR?

by Goldball4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:38 am

We went 4-1, played ok. Didn't have much competition though, so not sure how we'll do vs. the big guys. Saw some pretty good ball for the first time out. Didn't see too many dominating performances though. A little surprising! But it will only get better from here.
Goldball4

by 454Malibu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am

What division were you in? We (Lady Sharks) played our first 16U in Tracy (we are a 16u team this Fall). Competition was fair to middle of the road and we went 4-1 also. Should have won the first game also, but a couple bad pitches and errors happen sometimes. I don't know if any of the teams we played were 14u playing up, but I think they were mostly 16u age wise. Other than that, it was a good start. Obvioulsly there were no college scouts watching us as they were watching 18 G, but it was fun and the girls got lots of innings in.
454Malibu

by Queen Anne's Revenge » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:28 am

Was this a showcase and if so, were there many college coaches there?
Queen Anne's Revenge

by Cen Cal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:57 am

I did not see any coaches in Tracy.
Cen Cal

by 454Malibu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 am

This was a showcase, but did not see any scouts looking in the 16u division. A friend did not see any at 18u games either. I know for sure several college coaches were at the 18 gold fields per a friend who was there. I have been told they won't be looking much at our young 16u players until Summer and beyond, but am new to this.
454Malibu

by Old Darter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:20 am

454...best thing to do to get your young 16u's seen by College coaches is......

Send them to the summer camp put on by the school the wish to attend. Virtually every PAC10 school (except USC, no softball there) has a summer camp for travel ball players. I'm sure most other schools do as well, it's both fundraiser and recruiting opportunity.

The big difference: At an exposure tournament, the coach may see a couple of innings, a full game if they already know DD. One bad game and that might be it. At the camp 1) the coach gets a prolonged look over several days, so if DD has a bad day there's time time correct, and 2) you're actually paying for the coach to pay attention to and help your daughter (this also give a hint at coach-ability of DD).

Added Bonus: Going to the same schools camp for more than one year allows the coach to become familiar with DD (hey, you were here last year!) and show the coach there is an ongoing interest in their program.
Old Darter

by lv2earat8 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Old Darter,
This sounds like pretty good advice, can you tell us about your softball credentials.
About how much do these camps costs? And are they worth it if my kid might not be a Pac10 athlete?
God is great,beer is good,people are CRAZY!
lv2earat8

by 454Malibu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Great advice and thanks! We will be doing this shortly down the road. Daughter is only Soph., but we are starting to talk about it!
454Malibu

by CheckWriter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree with OD's advice (please note only one "I" in this post).

The point is not specifically to go to a PAC 10 camp, it is to go to the camp presented by the school (maybe top 3 if you can afford it) that your DD is seriously interested in attending. Even the small liberal arts colleges have these camps. Sometimes, coaches will come from other schools and help with the camp so DD can be seen by multiple coaches.

Make sure she communicates (ideally picking up the phone and calling) with the coaching staff that she is coming with the goal of attending their school. The campers are almost always broken down into smaller groups that are rotated around to the various activities. It is usually quite apparent who the coaches are interested in, there is always a group of DDs that can play ball. She wants to get in that group.

She (and you) can usually get some face to face time with the coaches and ask them point blank what DDs chances are - someitmes exciting, sometimes reality check.

Younger DD went to the midwest in the dead of winter for a one day camp. If that doesn't demonstrate serious interest, nothing does.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 pm

454Malibu wrote:Great advice and thanks! We will be doing this shortly down the road. Daughter is only Soph., but we are starting to talk about it!

And why are you not going to the camps now? I know many Sophomore girls who are already verbaled.
Sftbll4ever

Next

Return to NorCal