Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

How did everyone look at RR?

by Intel » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:20 pm

If tournament directors cared about the quality of thier product instead of the quantity ($$$$) they could stop it. Play out of your division and receive a 6 month ban, two teams from the same organization and the organization gets a 6 month ban.

TD's is Socal and other places are enforcing the age group, we do it at the Force Classic, NorCal or specifically two organizations need to make the change.
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 454Malibu » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

I guess tourney directors could ask #1 and hope for honesty. Then they could stipulate rules as suggested. They could also check web sites for the teams and/or require a roster with dates of birth and such. If a team signs up for a 16u showcase, you should not see too many 2013/2014 players right? Of course, coaches could lie! Time consuming prospect for the tourney directors, but it could be done and would be better for all I think. I just want to show up this weekend in Stockton and play legit 16U teams whether they be good or bad, at least they are 16U! It is a better way gauge our team.
454Malibu

by Iluvblue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

You do it at the force classic, but you only have how many age groups playing at that time? You also have none of the HS players playing, so it really isnt a problem at that time of the year.

I agree though, this is an easy fix. When you register your team, you register in an age group. We should get cards for the coach/manager that designates your age group. Then prior to your first game in said tournament, you are required to show the age your team is designated to play in. That would require more work... not much, nut more.

Only real problem is in Fall you do not register your team.

That being said, do the majority of people care? I dont like it, but so many people play up that they must think it is a good thing.
Iluvblue

by Skarp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 pm

tito wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:
By the way, 3 years ago I took a 2nd year 14u team and moved them up to 16s. The good teams in 16u for most tournaments was few and far in between. We played 18u for most of the year. Now at the qualifiers, there are some good 16u teams, and at Regionals there was about 8 out of the 28 or so in Vegas 3 years ago that I felt were really good.

damn dude, you just can't stop yourself, can you?
You wonder why you catch so much grief on here.....and on other boards (modbeeforum?)...you just can't stop yourself from turning any thread, regardless of it's content, into something about yourself...
people in your area have told me about this phenomenom for the last couple of years....and I am witnessing it in full force for the last couple of months....you try to pass it off as "I have a successful team year in and year out"....when the fact is, you didn't do shit last summer. you crashed and burned in all the 14u qualifiers while lesser norcal teams got to Georgia..i don't care how you rationalize it, your team didn't even underachieve..i saw who knocked you out of regionals and clovis, etc, etc.,..it's fricking amazing is what it is...jesus christ, get over yourself....

Tito,

Back before I eradicated malaria in Africa while in the Peace Corp--and shortly after I discovered cold fusion--I had my dd's 10u rec team play up in 18G during the fall. It was a rag-tag group, with no real talent to speak of (they placed dead last in their rec league under a different coach), but after implementing my system we managed to dominate that division, going 54-3-1 over that stretch. It's not that the teams we played weren't talented--they were loaded with kids with D1 scholarships in hand. It's just that the coaches were completely clueless. You wouldn't believe how many bone-headed decisions they made. There were only maybe 5 or 6 who knew their way around a softball diamond, and even they generally failed to understand the finer points of the game. So of course I had a huge advantage.

I'm just mentioning that as an example of...well...of something marginally relevant to whatever everyone else was talking about.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:02 pm

Sorry Skarpy.

I no longer care to play with you.
Iluvblue

by Old Darter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:26 am

you try to pass it off as "I have a successful team year in and year out"....when the fact is, you didn't do shit last summer. you crashed and burned in all the 14u qualifiers while lesser norcal teams got to Georgia..i don't care how you rationalize it, your team didn't even underachieve..i saw who knocked you out of regionals and clovis, etc, etc.,

C'mon Tito
ILB already said the plan was not to win, just to play as many games as possible. Once you qualify, you lose the opportunity to play all those other qualifiers.

Iluvblue wrote:Well fortunately for me, i have a plan. I dont care about winning or losing games, it is all about getting as many games as you can for the money.
Old Darter

by Iluvblue » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:48 am

Darter,

I never said the plan was not to win.... EVER. So if you want to start saying what I said, how bout quoting me directly and also put what the conversation was in regards to.
I was speaking about the Fall season. Winning and losing isnt what is important right now. Right now it is about the players learning what they need to learn.

Because winning and losing is not about me, it is about the players doing what they are supposed to do. Win or lose I still enjoy coaching. And nobody wins every game. It is actually kind of boring when you are winning every game. Competition is what makes it fun.

But Darter, even though it isnt my main concern, our team has come out and won their first two tournaments if you want to start going in that direction.

Pretty good concerning all the new players and where they have come form. I am pretty happy with this group right now.

But go ahead Old Darter, take my words and try to twist them into something that helps me fit into your perceptions of what i do. Which is something you could never do darter. Start with new kids every year and actually teach them something about this game.

But you can certainly type.
Iluvblue

by Iluvblue » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:58 am

Spazsdad,

i coached a HS team a few years back that won something like 46 straight league games, 3 straight league titles, 2 straight CIF titles and gave up 7 (maybe 9) runs in a season.
It was kind of boring going into each league game knowing that you would win. The only question being would we win by 4 or 10 runs.

Watching the same movie over and over is not fun. it is the unknown that makes things exciting. And knowing the team in the other dugout can beat you makes it a challenge. When you know there is no way that other team can win, there is no challenge, and thus no fun.

And this isnt about me, im just showing the rationale for my statement about that being boring.

Sorry you might not have experienced anything like that to know what it actually feels like.
Iluvblue

by Old Darter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:06 am

Iluvblue wrote:Darter,

I never said the plan was not to win.... EVER. So if you want to start saying what I said, how bout quoting me directly (you were quoted directly) and also put what the conversation was in regards to. I was speaking about the Fall season.(Doesn't matter the time of year, Champions ALWAYS play to win, even if they don't say so).Winning and losing isnt what is important right now. Right now it is about the players learning what they need to learn. (And when do they learn how to win coach? During the summer when you're losing all those nationals qualifiers?)

Because winning and losing is not about me (FINALLY! Something that isn't about you!), it is about the players doing what they are supposed to do. Win or lose I still enjoy coaching. And nobody wins every game. It is actually kind of boring when you are winning every game. (sounds like someone's been on the short end more times than not. Is it a moral victory coach?) Competition is what makes it fun. (Winning is even more fun, ask your opponents)

But Darter, even though it isnt my main concern, our team has come out and won their first two tournaments if you want to start going in that direction. (Congrats! You have learned how to win! Beating 12u teams who are playing up in the fall)

Pretty good concerning all the new players and where they have come form. I am pretty happy with this group right now. (We are all concerned for your players coach)

But go ahead Old Darter, take my words and try to twist them (it's so easy because they need no twisting! You - oh sorry forgot that you are refered to as the big "I" - do it yourself.) into something that helps me fit into your perceptions of what i do. Which is something you could never do darter (and your source of information on this is?). Start with new kids every year (really, all new kids every year? You must be a real Guru) and actually teach them something about this game. (Kinda high turnover rate there coach. Shouldn't they be with you at least two years? Why are the all leaving your team?)

But you can certainly type.

With you, it's all about cut and paste.
Old Darter

by Skarp » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:18 am

Iluvblue wrote:... your perceptions of what i do. Which is something you could never do darter. Start with new kids every year and actually teach them something about this game.

Wait a sec...I'm confused. Aren't you the super popular coach who never loses players? Yes, I'm quite sure you've made several comments to that very effect. So now you're the great developer of new talent (which of course nobody else can do). Mkay. Can you make 2+2 add up to 5 as well?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal