Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Are there too many teams in NorCal ?

by dittoz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:49 am

See it several times every season... DD doesn't get to play "X" position, parents go ballistic and leave the team. Same thing happens at team #2 and suddenly dad has formed his own team...

Each time a new team pops up, the talent level is watered down further. Really noticing it this season where many teams only have 1 and sometimes 2 marquee players (at best!) whereas in past seasons, teams carried 1-2 "developmental" players.

Is it just me or are there just too many marginal teams out there these days?
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by CheckWriter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:48 am

You're right. Just don't let those other lame girls play. We can encourage them to stay home with their X Box instead. They don't need to have the opportunity to play to find out if they like the sport beyond rec ball.

Let's just have one team of studs (that we some how determine to be the next Natasha Whatley when she's 10) from Nor Cal in each age group and beat the world.

Sorry, didn't mean to be THAT sarcastic, but sometimes I can't help myself.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by beentheredonethat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 am

There is
Last edited by beentheredonethat on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beentheredonethat

by dittoz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:19 am

Checkwriter - of course there's a place for every kid to play - no doubt about that whatsoever!
My DD is by no means the stud as those who know her will attest... Still, I understand the sarcasm and will ignore it.,

What I'm seeing and referring to and I hear a number of parents agree about is that there seems to be an over-all degradation of team quality lately. Compared to a few years ago when there were 3-4, maybe 5-6 studs on a team, it seems like there are now 1 or 2. It appears that Dad thinks he can do things better and in forming a new team, has to water down the level of the teams over-all if he can manage to draw a player or two away from another team.

I have no problem with forming NSA or rec teams - as said, there's a place for everyone to play. But not every girl or team is ready for "A" level ball and not every girl should play on an "A" level team if they're not ready for it.
dittoz

by mr.flamboyant » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 am

SoCal has alot of teams also (from what I see). Just as many as us if not more (rough guess)
mr.flamboyant

by softballjunky12 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 am

Hmm, I am not seeing this as much down in the Bay Area. However, we do have our share of team jumper for the reason you mention. NOW.. we are seeing a new trend of Rec League starting to create year long "A" teams leveraging thier exsiting infrustructures ie fields etc.. These teams are mainly playing USSSA, it appears! Probably cause that is the only local tournament for them to play in without staying overnight. (Yes, one could drive home from Stockton but no fun in that).
softballjunky12

by dittoz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:54 am

SB;

I too have seen the rec leagues leveraging and forming and that's a great idea. In all probability, it brings up the level of play in the rec leagues and may well make for better players all-around in future years.

Funny story on that... years ago, we started a travel org after emerging from an All Star rec season like so many. Played NSA, USSSA, IFA at 10u as the girls got used to the higher level of ball. They did great and we wound up making the championship game in virtually every tournament we played in that 10u season. It grew our popularity locally and a LOT of the better rec players wanted to come play for us. Needless to say, the rec league was furious with us and it started a small war between the two as they attempted to keep their players "in house". Finally, they formed a couple off season "B" travel teams to try to compete with us. Still didn't work and ultimately I believe the whole venture collapsed leaving them back with a generic rec league. I may be off somewhat on the details, but that's the gist of it. The kicker...? The main coach and chief protagonist at the rec org in that war took his daughter a year later to a travel org and is now coaching ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not surprising, but cannot help laughing at the irony...
dittoz

by Joe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:11 am

dittoz wrote:See it several times every season... DD doesn't get to play "X" position, parents go ballistic and leave the team. Same thing happens at team #2 and suddenly dad has formed his own team...

Each time a new team pops up, the talent level is watered down further. Really noticing it this season where many teams only have 1 and sometimes 2 marquee players (at best!) whereas in past seasons, teams carried 1-2 "developmental" players.

Is it just me or are there just too many marginal teams out there these days?

Yes..definitely!!! There are way too many teams. This sport isn't for marginal players!

ASA should allow only marquee players, plus 1-2 developmental. The rest should go back to band, ballet, or cheer.
Joe

by mr.flamboyant » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:36 am

The way I see it (and once again..in no way am I any kind of expert)..everybody has the right to play. I also think they should play B tournaments till their ready to play "A" tournaments but if they want to get their butts kicked playing in tourneys they dont belong in..well who are we to tell them no
mr.flamboyant

by Old Darter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 am

mr.flamboyant wrote:The way I see it (and once again..in no way am I any kind of expert)..everybody has the right to play. I also think they should play B tournaments till their ready to play "A" tournaments but if they want to get their butts kicked playing in tourneys they dont belong in..well who are we to tell them no

Because the true A teams did not sign up to play in a tourney full of B teams.
Old Darter

Next

Return to NorCal