Questions and discussions involving PGF

by mr softball » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:16 pm

dOES ANYONE KNOW IF PGF NATIOALS ARE STILL GOING ON THIS YEAR
mr softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 pm

mr softball wrote:dOES ANYONE KNOW IF PGF NATIOALS ARE STILL GOING ON THIS YEAR

I received an e-mail on June 3rd from PGF stating that nationals are still on track and are invitation system for teams that have not qualified and would like to attend. They ask the teams interested to e-mail Bret Denio. They mention it will be via all Covid guidelines, etc.

Not sure if anything has changed, but nationals are still on the radar for now.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mr softball » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:57 am

are the dates still the same first tournament starts july 24 thanks
mr softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LoveMeSomeFastpitch » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:45 pm

I would be surprised if a significant number of out of state teams will travel to SoCal to participate in a large tournament this summer. Because of how badly the federal government bungled their initial response to the coronavirus, their denial of the impending threat and politically motivated push to open states prematurely, there is now a spike of new COVID-19 cases showing up in Texas and Southeastern & Western parts of the country.

Of course PGF has to remain optimistic, but there is good reason why they canceled all of their qualifiers this summer. Based on current trends, and doubling down on denial by the White House, it's wishful thinking to believe anything is going to be better in seven weeks. Also, all of that PPP stimulus spending is set to expire on July 31st. That is not going to help matters from an economic perspective.

Assuming out of state teams aren't in a big hurry to fly into the heart of coronavirus country here in California, PGF may decide to recalibrate for a smaller statewide tournament, where people can drive instead of fly, to minimize their exposure to the virus. With 80% of all statewide COVID-19 related cases/deaths occurring in SoCal, it might be more prudent to hold a State Championship in Northern CA, where local authorities took quick action to quell the virus before it could wreak havoc in this part of the state.

If PGF decides to go this route it would be pretty easy to pull off. They could start with regional playoffs for each age group in the Southern and Northern parts of the state, with semi-finals for each region being a best of three or five series. It would be by invitation, based on a team's recent history as well as strength of performance during 2020 summer play. The winners of each age group in SoCal would then drive up north and play the NorCal winners here in Modesto or Stockton, best of three or five series, similar to the NCAA or MLB World Series. That way there could be no argument about who has the best team in each age division in California.

Ideally, the PGF Nationals will come to fruition without a hitch. But if for whatever reason it doesn't, this would be a practical alternative to end a summer season that was impacted by a global pandemic, giving the season some meaning to the players, while minimizing risk to the participants and their families.
Last edited by LoveMeSomeFastpitch on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LoveMeSomeFastpitch

by mr softball » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:18 pm

JMO are you still out there and any updates on 2020 Nationals
mr softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mr softball » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:06 pm

I see on the premier team attending site that they are now full dated today june 19, 2020
mr softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SoftballMike » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 am

I highly doubt they will allow them to have a National Tourney. The Great Park is not letting anyone play on their fields until MAYBE August 1st. It is still illegal to even play a friendly right now in CA; teams (including us) basically play what we call "Sneaky Friendlies".

CA Covid numbers are way up; and you can't even eat inside a restaurant in Orange County. They will most likely be postponed or cancelled.

I would bet against it, to say the least.
SoftballMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cal Thunder 12U » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 pm

Cancelled!? Alleged or confirmed!!?
Cal Thunder 12U

by jwerde » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:34 pm

I hear it is canceled as well but not sure why they haven't officially announced it. Lets just say some big name teams are getting ready to head to Oklahoma during the same time frame.
jwerde
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tristonremo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am

I've heard July 1st there was supposed
to be a decision. That came and went. Privately I've heard wispers that heads of orgs anre saying it's going to be canceled....so why not announce it as of July 8th? There are still teams and players from up north or out of state waiting for work either way.

OKC is all but dead since its in a few weeks and only 3- 12u teams showing as registered as in. Even if they get 10...is it really a national championship with 10 teams? They don't have any interest from Texas powerhouses and they are i nthe state over.

Utah will likely be good but it's at the end of Aug but school albeit probably via zoom, will be in session. Also AFA has some weird point system so I'm not sure if you will even have a head to head championship game tournament structure or just a championship who had the most wins and scored the most runs? Showcase style?

Either there's a small chance PGF is still trying to make this happen by hopefully spreading out the games...maybe adding BLD's, Rosetta canyon and other locations in different cities as well or in order to not give full refunds they are delaying telling us it's been canceled...this would suck for those who just need to know either way for work and travel.

Tournaments are happening in many states and there are plenty of friendlies happening every weekend in CA (just check Gamechanger)...might as well control it and still have PGF.
LET THEM PLAY!
tristonremo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch