Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Why Friday play?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Backnine » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:08 pm

Why does PGF continually schedule games on Fridays during the school year, especially when, the amount of teams in the Showcase/ Tourney doesn't merit or need Friday games? These are not Friday night games but games starting at 10:00am. Could it be their cut on Hotel rooms? Asking for a friend. This causes parents to take time off work and even more importantly it requires young ladies to miss school. What happened to STUDENT/athletes? I don't think playing ball is an excused absence. So parents have to lie to their school administration. Should young students (11 to 18 years old) be missing there advanced math tests or any other academic requirements or activities to play on Fridays? If it was every once in a while for an enormous tourney that logistically needed Friday games (preferably early evening) I wouldn't complain or question. But they do it almost every Friday. Come on PGF. Be better and remember they are students first, athletes second.
Last edited by Backnine on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hpd276 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Typically I see a lot of D2-D3 etc etc colleges at fields looking at players

Kind of gives them a day without D1 schools around
hpd276
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Missing the point people. Should 11 to 13 year old girls be absent from school to play softball? 14 to 15 year old's? Miss a math test to play softball? Especially when logistically they could easily play just Saturday and Sunday? Friday 10:00 am games, really? Basically a Friday / Saturday tourney with championship game on Sunday during the school year. Be honest, why are we playing on Friday morning?
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:11 am

Why are we playing on Friday?
Answer: Because its always been that way.
Not a very good answer.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:42 am

Spazsdad wrote:It’s one invite tournament out of the fall season. Stay home then if missing one day of school will destroy DD’s academic career :roll:

You are right about this. Nobody is forcing anybody to play. I get that. But you still haven't answered the question. Why are we playing on Friday? With the amount of teams and number of fields it could quite easily be played Saturday and Sunday.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SDTitans » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:46 am

backnine.. should the college girls miss classes to play games?? its the same thing ...only difference is the age..
SDTitans
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sdiamond » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 am

I know its tough for a lot of parents to get the days off they need for Softball but its a commitment you made when you signed up. Many parents have given up their Summer vacations for their Son/Daughters travel ball with the hopefullness of them being seen by a College Recruiter and to get some extra money for College. Personally I dont think 14U players should be doing Showcase events but thats just me. Many teams will have that one parent who can bring a girl to an event early on a Friday or late Thursday night so her parents can travel Friday evening after work. Also you can let your daughters teachers know you will be out of town and missing a day of classes and they will give her the assignments ahead of time so she can do them in the car on the way to what ever Showcase/Tournament you are attending. It's just like in life, one has to be flexible. It's not about extra money for the event sponsor its so your team doesnt play 3 or 4 games on Saturday the last one at 8:30-9pm and 3 or 4 on Sunday when you have to leave at 7 or 8pm to head home. It sounds to me you may be new to Softball and thats great but you will soon learn of the sacrifices we all make for our kids to play travel ball, it will leave you with some wonderful memories and life long friendships!
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:29 am

Some/Most school are not OK with kids missing for sports.
The math​
ADA = Sum of Attendance Counts ÷ Days of Instruction.

So, if a student misses nine days during the 180-day school year, the district loses 5 percent of the funding a student with perfect attendance would generate.

ADA is not the same as enrollment. Enrollment is the total number of students signed up to attend the school. ADA reflects how often those enrolled students actually go to school.

The bottom line​
Your school loses money when your child is absent. At the same time, the school must still pay for teacher and staff salaries, operations, building maintenance, electricity, and all the other expenses involved with running the school.

So there are two good reasons—educational and financial—to aim for a great attendance record.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Looks like PGF lamented and changed the schedules so that first games will be played Friday at 3:30 pm. Good job PGF.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch