Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Required to use Premier hotels

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by tcannizzo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:54 am

Joe wrote:
PDad wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:
PDad wrote:As a not-for-profit organization, I expect ASA to look out for its members. They should be held to a higher standard than for-profit businesses like NASCAR. As the NGB of softball that aspires to hold THE national championship, they should be concerned about affordability for participants.

If you know anything about business, "not-for-profit" is only a tax status; not the way you run the show.

:lol: I know quite a bit about business - I'm able to effectively interact with controllers, CPAs and CFOs along with all types of operational management. NFPs are run differently because there are limitations in the amount of money they can carry over from year to year. Stockholders don't like it when their publicly held corporation is run like an NFP. :lol:

Whether it is the AMA, Red Cross, Boy's Clubs/Girl's Clubs, et al, they are running a business, and like any business they need to be profitable if they are to continue as an organization.

Hmmm, notice all those organizations have something in common - like existing for the benefit of its members or a cause rather than just to make money. They get most of their money from corporate sponsors and private donors - not by selling an opportunity to make money off the members they're supposed to be benefitting.

NFPs need to bring in enough money to cover their expenses, hopefully reasonable ones, and the rest is supposed to be for the benefit of its members and/or cause.

Out of curiosity, would you care to extoll the virtues of NASCAR? The "sport" that was born of rum-runners in competition? Unless the higher standard you are referring to is the proof/% of alcohol in their product.

You need to ask MTR about NASCAR's virtues - he's the one that keeps bringing them up as a justification for the high hotel rates. As for higher standard - you got it backward - I said I hold ASA to a higher standard than NASCAR.

tcannizzo...schooled :lol:

Around here they call it edjumacated. :geek:

My point is that there are many non-profits/charitables that are surrounded with controversy.

That being said, why don't you offer some expert analysis of the ASA's IRS Return for 2010.
Don't have it handy?

Download it here: http://downloads.asasoftball.com/about/pdf/tax-2010990-T.pdf
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by BenAround » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 am

Could someone please post, or PM me, the list of PGF hotels.

I'd like to do some comparison shopping. :ugeek:
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by PDad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:14 pm

tcannizzo wrote:My point is that there are many non-profits/charitables that are surrounded with controversy.

Sorry, I missed you were implying that by saying NFPs are run the same as regular businesses. :roll: Thanks for clearing that up.

That being said, why don't you offer some expert analysis of the ASA's IRS Return for 2010.
Don't have it handy?

Download it here: http://downloads.asasoftball.com/about/pdf/tax-2010990-T.pdf

I already looked at them - last night while I put together my previous reply. They were informative as far as tax returns and P&Ls go. Since you asked, here is what I found of interest:

- Total revenue of almost $9 million - predominantly from registrations ($6mil), royalties ($1.4mil) and HOF Stadium ($1mil).

- Total expenses of $8.7 million - $7.5mil program-related (operational) and $1.2mil G&A. The largest expenses were not surprising - $2mil for program-related insurance and $1.8mil for personnel. The bulk of the remaining expenses were $792k 'All Other', $729k HOF Complex, $589k Registration Costs, $465k USOC Olympic Program, $457k Advertising/Promotion, $370k Conferences, $361k Depreciation, $298k Travel, $280k Fees for 'Other Services' and $208k National Tournament Expenses. It would be interesting to see what constitutes these broad categories.

--- Total payroll and benefit expenses of $1.8 million - $1.5mil program related and $342k G&A. Only 2 officers draw a regular salary and they are well compensated (combined $220k reportable + $60k other) and the total for other employees doesn't seem out of line ($1mil).

--- The $792k for 'All Other' expenses is essentially evenly split between program-related and G&A.

ASA's financials look healthy - hopefully that is from being a good steward rather than just having an abundance of revenue. Profitability can cover up a multitude of sins.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 pm

You know the old saying, "If you punish the numbers enough, you can get them to say anything." :twisted:
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:56 pm

PDad wrote:@MTR:

I expect ASA first qualifies the bids to make sure they're capable to hold the event (e.g. facilities, applicable experience, track record, etc.) before they consider bid amounts. I can't see them awarding one of their biggest events to someone that has only run small local weekend events.

I consider price, quality and service - and not necessarily in that order - when I make significant purchases. What other criteria would sway ASA to take the lower bid between 2 capable bidders? Does the welfare and enjoyment of the teams come into play at all?

Just because someone is new to the party doesn't mean they are not capable. But you would have to ask the council members, they are the ones that award the tournaments.
MTR

by BenAround » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 am

Come on you kool-aid drinkers...............

Could someone please post, or PM me, the list of PGF hotels.

I'd like to do some comparison shopping.
BenAround

by m&m97 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

The list of Premier hotels is terrifc! Wide variety, reasonable and provides details such as if breakfast and parking are included. Many hotels in the area charge extra for parking but majority on the list have it included. Great job PGF, very convenient and saved us a lot of time!
Thank you 8-)
m&m97

by killerbee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 am

Three of our families own recreational vehicles that will be housing 7 of 12 players. Do I need to show ownership of vehicles?
killerbee

by BenAround » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 am

killerbee wrote:Three of our families own recreational vehicles that will be housing 7 of 12 players. Do I need to show ownership of vehicles?

No, But you'll be required to let Dan or Gary use them for one week, of their choosing!
BenAround

by Joe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:01 am

BenAround wrote:Slap me around...please.

Hey Dover...

Let me know if you're ready for another round or two today. The weekend's coming...and I'm in the mood to dish out a good b*tch slapping.

You look like a good target. :mrgreen:
Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch