Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

**HEALTH CONCERN***STAPH INFECTION*****Barber 4

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by ACMOM » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:47 am

Ok at some point when my DD has ripped open her knee for the umpteenth time down in Irvine(Champions Cup) she managed to picked up a NASTY NASTY bacteria. I have to assume it was Wed when she slid and ripped it open again since she started getting the NASY bumps on Thursday around the site of her knee wound . So of course since Kaiser didn’t know what it was the antibiotics she was given didn’t work. Yes she was contagious Thurs,Friday,Sat in Irvine. Yea we had to wait 4 days for test results.(Gotta Love Kaiser). It is very treatable with the right antibiotics. We were on field BARBER 4

Just make sure any time anything is cut open and exposed that it gets cleaned out IMMEDIATELY and not just with water and covered back up with the same bloody sock and pant. (Yes that is what my DD did..Hard Core) ;)

Below is specifically what she had.

I have already Notified Susan and she forwarded the issue onto the City of Irvine and So Cal ASA (Like they are going to care about a PGF tournament)

What is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)? Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) are a type of staphylococcus or "staph" bacteria that are resistant to many antibiotics. Staph bacteria, like other kinds of bacteria, normally live on your skin and in your nose, usually without causing problems. MRSA is different from other types of staph because it cannot be treated with certain antibiotics such as methicillin. Staph bacteria only become a problem when they cause infection. For some people, especially those who are weak or ill, these infections can become serious.MRSA infections are more difficult to treat than ordinary staph infections. This is because the strains of staph that are known as MRSA do not respond well to many types of antibiotics, which are the types of medicines normally used to kill bacteria. When methicillin and other common antibiotic medicines do not kill the bacteria that is causing an infection, it becomes harder to get rid of the infection. MRSA bacteria are more likely to develop when antibiotics are used too often or are not used correctly. Given enough time, bacteria can outsmart antibiotics so that these medicines no longer work well. This is why MRSA and other antibiotic-resistant bacteria are sometimes called "super bugs."
ACMOM

by sftblldud » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 am

Sorry to inform you, but you really can't pinpoint exactly where someone picks up MRSA. Somebody she is around is carrying the desease, they are called the CARRIER and they probably don't know they are carrying the BUG. The open wound exposed your DD to the CARRIER, could be another ballplayer from her team, could be someone in your house, could be who ever she came in contact with the days after(with a open wound). Your DD could also be the CARRIER, have her checked and the immediate family, it's a simple sauve of the nose and the results could be back in less then 10 days.

I seriously doubt she picked it up at Barber park.
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by Goldball4 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:37 am

Softballchick knows everything!! She's a doctor now! All that this person was doing was warning people to be careful with your injuries. So, that this doesn't happen again!
Goldball4

by NumeroUno » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 pm

ACMOM thanks for the info. :)
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by tigermom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Yes, these new superbugs are awful. Another yucky one is VRE (Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci).

Thank you for alerting the softball community to this health risk. Exposure to MRSA is already a big part of certain contact sports (tackle football, wrestling) so it is sad to see it rear its ugly head in fast pitch.

We all need to be careful about sanitizing gear, washing uniforms, etc. on a regular basis. Here's a link to a really good handout: http://www.stopmrsanow.org/PDFS/MRSA-Playbook.pdf

Any sign of infection (swelling, redness, fever, etc.) should always be taken seriously. Thank you for your post. I hadn't really thought about superbug exposure in softball, but it makes sense, sadly.

PS: Proper handwashing is key to preventing the spread of many diseases. And, one thought about alcohol-based hand sanitizers. . .they are very useful, but do not prevent the spread of C-diff, a very nasty bug that causes the trots, big time. Only handwashing works against this baddie.

What a world. . .
tigermom

by ACMOM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:24 am

By No means was I trying to place blame anywhere. Per our Dr. it was most likely exposed at the field. Every tournament she will rip it open... We had a kid 5 years ago pick up the bacteria at complex from the dirt they even did sample testing of the dirt because it put her in the hospital for a few days and found that it was in the dirt. So yea it can. I only posted just in case it happens again I hope for all of the girl it was just a freak thing that happened to mine and that's it. Not cool watching nasty pussie boils pop-in up all over your kid.
ACMOM

by hotwheels » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:28 am

Is it the whole City of Irvine that causes this infection or just the Champion's Cup or just Bill Barber?
hotwheels

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch