Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF returning berths

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:45 pm

From the PGF site re: Returning Berths

[i]4) Returning berths are only valid for that age division. The Designated Head Coach may not bring the berth to an upper division and may not assign the berth to another coach within their organization.[/i]

This rule seems to reward organizations who keep coaches in the same age division while passing players up to other coaches within the org, while punishing organizations (and, significantly, non-affiliated teams) that keep coaches and players together as they move up in age. And notably does not affect the 18HS division.

Just for example, in 14u it appears that McNee can keep his berth if he coaches 14u next year, but Knighten would lose his if he goes to 16u with the team he's had for years.

Curious as to the thinking behind this rule.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Jane wrote:

The rule appears to reward those who couldn't even wait until teams returned home from this year's event...before whining and crying about next year's event...

I hope you're not referring to me complaining, because I'm not. It doesn't affect us in any case. It's a simple question. If you don't like it, move along.
anonlooker

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
anonlooker

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Jane wrote:
anonlooker wrote:If you don't like it, move along.

Not a chance...

Why does the question bother you?
anonlooker

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Jane wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Jane is just mad because Joe fell asleep on her before she got her Sunday luvin

Joe who? Permanently banned Joe?

No idea who that might be. :lol: :lol: :lol:
anonlooker

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Obviously just another troll.
anonlooker

by ontheblack » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:32 am

anonlooker wrote:From the PGF site re: Returning Berths

[i]4) Returning berths are only valid for that age division. The Designated Head Coach may not bring the berth to an upper division and may not assign the berth to another coach within their organization.[/i]

This rule seems to reward organizations who keep coaches in the same age division while passing players up to other coaches within the org, while punishing organizations (and, significantly, non-affiliated teams) that keep coaches and players together as they move up in age. And notably does not affect the 18HS division.

Just for example, in 14u it appears that McNee can keep his berth if he coaches 14u next year, but Knighten would lose his if he goes to 16u with the team he's had for years.

I think its a good question and would take it a bit further. Why give a berth to any team that didnt finish 1st or 2nd?
ontheblack

by SoCalMgr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 am

anonlooker wrote:From the PGF site re: Returning Berths

The way I see it is it rewards the coach, not the org or the players. If the coach is a strong 14U, 16U or HS coach and likes to stay in that organization and age group then it benifits the players he/she coaches. If the team of those age groups is a young team then the players benifit. As a HS coach, and the team is full of graduating players then your point is moot and it reverts back to who will play for that coach in that org next season.

Steve
SoCalMgr

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:09 pm

For me this rule makes more sense in SoCal in 18HS and 16U divisions. At these levels you are starting to see a lot of coaches that return year after year.

I like the concept of more than 2 return berths. It gives those teams that get a top 10 a recruiting advantage for the following year.

There are a couple of problems if you let the coach or the coach+players carry the berth up to the next age bracket.
1) If the team was great at second year 14U it does not mean they will even compete at 16U. It would be bad if returning berths resulted in less competitive teams.
2) You have to wait until the coach decides if he is playing same age or moving up to determine if how many returning berths at different age levels.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by snackbar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:27 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:For me this rule makes more sense in SoCal in 18HS and 16U divisions. At these levels you are starting to see a lot of coaches that return year after year.

I like the concept of more than 2 return berths. It gives those teams that get a top 10 a recruiting advantage for the following year.

There are a couple of problems if you let the coach or the coach+players carry the berth up to the next age bracket.
1) If the team was great at second year 14U it does not mean they will even compete at 16U. It would be bad if returning berths resulted in less competitive teams.
2) You have to wait until the coach decides if he is playing same age or moving up to determine if how many returning berths at different age levels.

It's pros and cons to everything. Kenny Knighten Corona Angels 96 took second place earn a berth at 14U and will have to qualify for 16U when they move up. That gives their 96's one year at 16U. I doubt anyone on that team with the talent they have would want to be a junior on a 16U team if they play 2 years, then only get one year at 18 Gold.
It's amazing what you hear and see at "THE SNACKBAR"
snackbar

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch