Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Pitching distance for 14U

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by LETHAL WEAPON 25 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:13 am

Just wondering if there has been any discussion on moving the 14U to 43'?
LETHAL WEAPON 25

by OSD » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 pm

There has been lots of discussion about it, now we just need the PGF leaders to make it happen. How about it guys? All the second year 14U pitchers feel like they need to move up to 16U(43ft.) to get ready for High School. Even if ASA has too much red tape to prevent it, at least the PGF leaders should do it! It will keep some of the better 14U eligible pitchers down in the age group where they belong. And while you're at it, metal cleats should be allowed in 14U also. They wear them in High School. It seems both these issues are making the second year 14U players "play down", why not just let the first year players play with "big girl" cleats and distances?

Maybe Uno could make us a poll, so the PGF leaders can see that the majority of us parents/coaches want 14U at 43ft. and part 2 of the poll being a yes or no to metal cleats. Thanks in advance Uno! :)
OSD
Premium Member
Premium Member

by OSD » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
OSD wrote:There has been lots of discussion about it, now we just need the PGF leaders to make it happen. How about it guys? All the second year 14U pitchers feel like they need to move up to 16U(43ft.) to get ready for High School. Even if ASA has too much red tape to prevent it, at least the PGF leaders should do it! It will keep some of the better 14U eligible pitchers down in the age group where they belong. And while you're at it, metal cleats should be allowed in 14U also. They wear them in High School. It seems both these issues are making the second year 14U players "play down", why not just let the first year players play with "big girl" cleats and distances?

Maybe Uno could make us a poll, so the PGF leaders can see that the majority of us parents/coaches want 14U at 43ft. and part 2 of the poll being a yes or no to metal cleats. Thanks in advance Uno! :)

Not all the players in 14u are in HS. Why does an 8th grader need to be throwing at 43'? If they "belong" in the 14u age group then play the appropriate rules. If they feel they are somehow being held back by having to wear molded cleats and pitch at 40' then they should move up. Why are people in such a hurry to make thier kids "big girls"?
Pitching at 40' for a tournament is not going to kill the prospects of any young pitcher, just look at all the colleges at 14u PGF and ASA. When ASA went to 43' and HS was still 40' nobody was complaining about how it was detrimental to the pitchers.

Ok, so if we had a poll it would currently be tied at 50% for each item and nobody would need to get into a pissing match.
OSD
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AM Softball » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 pm

This may be a bit off topic but has anyone thought of changing the age divisions instead of changing these types of rules?

I am just throwing it out for discussion but maybe it would be better to divide by grade instead of age. HS (12/11), ?? (10/9), ?? (8/7), ?? (6,5), ?? (4,3). Obviously you could play up but not down. I just think kids starting on Varsity teams really should not be playing 14u so this is one possible solution.

That would avoid the college player issue because they aren't in 12th grade and would truly divide the divisions into a better foundation based on the rules they play with in HS and to prepare for college. You could keep the 7/8 at 40 feet and make the 9-12th pitch from 43 and also allow the HS kids to wear metal cleats.

Just a thought.
AM Softball

by LETHAL WEAPON 25 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Not all the players in 14u are in HS. Why does an 8th grader need to be throwing at 43'? If they "belong" in the 14u age group then play the appropriate rules. If they feel they are somehow being held back by having to wear molded cleats and pitch at 40' then they should move up. Why are people in such a hurry to make thier kids "big girls"?
Pitching at 40' for a tournament is not going to kill the prospects of any young pitcher, just look at all the colleges at 14u PGF and ASA. When ASA went to 43' and HS was still 40' nobody was complaining about how it was detrimental to the pitchers.

Well, I certainly agree that not all 14U Players are in High School. Except, where we are from even the Jr. High teams pitch from 43' because most of the games are played at HS fields and those coaches dont want to move the pitching mound. So not only do we have 14yr olds pitching from 43' we have 12 and 13 yr olds as well.
Another point is that most of the better 2nd year 14U teams play alot of 16's which is 43', but then are having to drop back to 40' to play the "Bigger" tournaments at their own age. Just seems silly to me. Especially since, not all but the majority of 2nd yr 14U players are Freshman in HS(43'). As far as steel cleats go, I could go either way. My kid is a catcher so really it wouldnt hurt my feelings if they never wore steel cleats.
LETHAL WEAPON 25

by LETHAL WEAPON 25 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:23 pm

AM Softball wrote:This may be a bit off topic but has anyone thought of changing the age divisions instead of changing these types of rules?

I am just throwing it out for discussion but maybe it would be better to divide by grade instead of age. HS (12/11), ?? (10/9), ?? (8/7), ?? (6,5), ?? (4,3). Obviously you could play up but not down. I just think kids starting on Varsity teams really should not be playing 14u so this is one possible solution.

That would avoid the college player issue because they aren't in 12th grade and would truly divide the divisions into a better foundation based on the rules they play with in HS and to prepare for college. You could keep the 7/8 at 40 feet and make the 9-12th pitch from 43 and also allow the HS kids to wear metal cleats.

Just a thought.

Interesting concept, but what happens when you get a 17yr old sophmore that throws 65?
LETHAL WEAPON 25

by ssarge » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 am

Interesting concept, but what happens when you get a 17yr old sophmore that throws 65?

About the same thing that happened in 14U Premier, when we faced a pitcher throwing 63.

From 40 feet.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by 3'sDad » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am

Scott: hope your kids were using their "fast swings & lighter bats" facing that kid.....

Where is that pitcher headed?
3'sDad

by ontheblack » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:31 am

ssarge wrote:

About the same thing that happened in 14U Premier, when we faced a pitcher throwing 63.

From 40 feet.

Regards,

Scott

Welcome to our world Scott, where SoCal teams face her on a regular basis. The trick is to layoff the rise, but that is easier said than done.

Where is that pitcher headed?

Wherever she wants. She hits as well as she pitches.
ontheblack

by PDad » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:07 pm

AM Softball wrote:This may be a bit off topic but has anyone thought of changing the age divisions instead of changing these types of rules?

Just a thought.

It is an interesting thought for PGF because the college recruiting is geared more towards grad year than age. I don't see ASA doing it.

Some other sanctions run separate 14u divisions for 40' and 43'. PGF could also consider doing this - keep the 14HS with the older age groups and split the 14u-40 off with the younger ones.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch