Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

TIME FOR PGF TO ADOPT NCAA BAT REGULATIONS

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by jonriv » Wed May 23, 2012 4:09 am

[quote]**MISSION STATEMENT**

The mission of Premier Girls Fastpitch is to provide a national platform on which fastpitch softball players can demonstrate their individual and team-enhancing skills, competing against the Best of the Best players and teams. The objectives include upgrading those skills through the ultimate developmental step of games and showcasing those skills at the highest possible level of competition, so that both players and college scouts are afforded the most viable evaluation of their talents with bat, ball, and glove. The Premier offers a competitive stage for players at ascending age levels. Teams are invited from around the country to the national games on the basis of proven performance, and/or, qualifying tournaments. Premier employs a championship format, which tests player and team endurance and capability, and is a vital preparation for the college years to come. Premier pursues a standard of excellence on and off the field, for players, coaches and umpires.The team and players which stand on the top tier of this competition as national champions are truly the Best of the Best./quote]

As a leader in Fastpitch Softball- it is time for PGF to adopt the NCAA approved bat list. No more hot bats, no more speculation....... If this is a "premier"showcase for future college players- let's make sure they use only college approved bats. It will make the competition fairer, will better prepare the girls, and it just might make them safer!
jonriv

by UmpSteve » Wed May 23, 2012 6:59 am

I think that the HS division would certainly buy into that, maybe even the 16U. But the 14U and 12U have years of bat buying left before they need to adjust to NCAA influence.

While you're at it, why not adopt NCAA rules? Here's my rationale:

1) The target audience is the group of college coaches, with recruitment and evaluation by college scouts a priority. The college coaches, by and large, only know NCAA rules.

2) The teams, both players and coaches (and especially the coaches) don't understand the many different nuances in NFHS rules; they are mostly used to ASA rules, but that isn't realistic as even a possibility. If you are going to play by rules they don't know, at least use the ones they will need to learn.

3) The umpire staff is largely chosen from NCAA ranks; I don't think even one umpire at the HS division in the two years doesn't call college softball. Most/many don't call high school, even at all (we play high school softball in the fall, do both, so I am familiar with the many differences). So the umpires aren't even that confident about the rules in these games.

4) ESPN and ESPNW ship has sailed. Wasn't it the original plan to use NCAA rules, then altered at request/insistence of the ESPN group? This is the remaining tie, and not a good one.

Just my opinion (can't use jmo, since that has other references here).
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch