Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Premier National Championship Fee...Really?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by PDad » Wed May 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Dowhatulike wrote:
Dowhatulike wrote:If you live in California it is definitely worth it, ... play and drive home then come back again....perfect!!! :lol:

Numero UNO I think you are taking this the wrong way! We all know it is the best national championship there is but we all know what it really comes down to. No sugar coating here! Sure the weather is nice but it isnt really about Sunshine and flip flops?It is convienent I am not going to lie and maybe they will host this prestigious event in another state sometime in the near future. Money makes the world go around :o :o

It is incredibly difficult to qualify for PGF in Cal - at least for those without an invite. It is unfortunate that PGF's and ASA's SoCal qualifiers conflict because too many SoCal teams try to qualify for PGF based on convenience rather than suitability.

I'm reminded of the old poker adage - if you can't identify the sucker at the table, it's you! If you're not better than at least 50% of the teams in a PGF qualifer, you probably don't belong in it. JMHO
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm

PDad wrote:
Dowhatulike wrote:
Dowhatulike wrote:If you live in California it is definitely worth it, ... play and drive home then come back again....perfect!!! :lol:

Numero UNO I think you are taking this the wrong way! We all know it is the best national championship there is but we all know what it really comes down to. No sugar coating here! Sure the weather is nice but it isnt really about Sunshine and flip flops?It is convienent I am not going to lie and maybe they will host this prestigious event in another state sometime in the near future. Money makes the world go around :o :o

It is incredibly difficult to qualify for PGF in Cal - at least for those without an invite. It is unfortunate that PGF's and ASA's SoCal qualifiers conflict because too many SoCal teams try to qualify for PGF based on convenience rather than suitability.

I'm reminded of the old poker adage - if you can't identify the sucker at the table, it's you! If you're not better than at least 50% of the teams in a PGF qualifer, you probably don't belong in it. JMHO

I agree all the way!!! :lol:
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sbparent12 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Is Premier still "giving away" spots at their 18U gold championship to specific teams like when they started? Not talking about ones earned by how you placed the year before but giving spots to basically the so called better teams who had been around for years.
This was how they got teams to come in the beginning; invited the so called better teams and then had all the others teams follow them.
sbparent12

by PDad » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:25 pm

As Spazsdad said, PGF is still inviting teams at all age groups. The lists of teams with berths and how they got them has been moved from PGF's home page to PGF National Qualifier & Championship info.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by thecloser02 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:45 pm

ASA nationals are more realistic than PGF or TCS combined. PGF has almost one half of the teams California teams. Besides that you can't have a national event when they hand out invites like Texas troopers hand out speeding tickets. PGF is a California event that favors the Good Ol Boys Club. TCS nationals are great and well ran just like PGF, once again ran by the Good Ol Boys club with the ranking system favoring da homies. When you go to ASA nationals there are teams from all over the country, good or bad they qualified in the state they live in and they come compete at a national event to the best of their ability.
thecloser02

by Dowhatulike » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 pm

thecloser02 wrote:ASA nationals are more realistic than PGF or TCS combined. PGF has almost one half of the teams California teams. Besides that you can't have a national event when they hand out invites like Texas troopers hand out speeding tickets. PGF is a California event that favors the Good Ol Boys Club. TCS nationals are great and well ran just like PGF, once again ran by the Good Ol Boys club with the ranking system favoring da homies. When you go to ASA nationals there are teams from all over the country, good or bad they qualified in the state they live in and they come compete at a national event to the best of their ability.

I would have to disagree just a little bit because PGF is gaining it's respect from other states, I spoke to a college recruiter last weekend and he expressed his thoughts on PGF compared to ASA and it was simply that PGF has a larger pool of talent, now remember he or she is looking at High school freshmen or older. If you are unable to get to PGF this summer or any it is okay to play at TCS or ASA nationals.PGF has to invite I'n order to sustain a quality tournament for competition and also recruiting.It's probably easier for teams to qualify for PGF when other teams get an invite.Those good ol boys are sure smart!!!! :o
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rdelawder12 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 pm

I will say I've never seen a coach tell the Umpires to quit calling illegal pitches at an ASA event and they actually do it, especially when there is only 6 teams left in the tourney. DD did PGF, nothing personal, but it's a local tourney, nothing like an ASA/USA event from 10-Gold! Keep plugging though, maybe some day the tournament will leave the favored teams back yard!!
rdelawder12

by rdelawder12 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 am

Not beating on PGF, but since inception that's all I've heard how the tournament will travel to other states each year like ASA and only want the BEST OF THE BEST.
I looked at the 18u and teams entered and starting the process, cant help but to laugh at an invite to a team that's never been in the top 10 of any quality tournament entered in the past year and finished tied for 5th in their local Qualifier, but yet a team that's attended PGF each year since inception who finished 4th and won the invite to Platinum and is showing registered for Platinum. Sure does pay to know people!! I thought the idea was to get the best teams to Premier and the less fortunate attend Platinum?
How is that fair to parents that will be spending the monies for their kid to travel the country to obtain a berth, while some teams with "who you know" don't have to travel to get the berth! Should be no invites during the summer run, qualify to play the best or play USSSA!
rdelawder12

by PDad » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 am

rdelawder12 wrote:Not beating on PGF, but since inception that's all I've heard how the tournament will travel to other states each year like ASA and only want the BEST OF THE BEST.
I looked at the 18u and teams entered and starting the process, cant help but to laugh at an invite to a team that's never been in the top 10 of any quality tournament entered in the past year and finished tied for 5th in their local Qualifier, but yet a team that's attended PGF each year since inception who finished 4th and won the invite to Platinum and is showing registered for Platinum. Sure does pay to know people!! I thought the idea was to get the best teams to Premier and the less fortunate attend Platinum?
How is that fair to parents that will be spending the monies for their kid to travel the country to obtain a berth, while some teams with "who you know" don't have to travel to get the berth! Should be no invites during the summer run, qualify to play the best or play USSSA!

Lil Saints didn't get an invite. They traveled and qualified in FL. Nice rant though. :lol:

I recommend checking the PGF National Qualifier & Championship info page to see how teams got their berths.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 am

thecloser02 wrote:ASA nationals are more realistic than PGF or TCS combined. PGF has almost one half of the teams California teams. Besides that you can't have a national event when they hand out invites like Texas troopers hand out speeding tickets. PGF is a California event that favors the Good Ol Boys Club. TCS nationals are great and well ran just like PGF, once again ran by the Good Ol Boys club with the ranking system favoring da homies. When you go to ASA nationals there are teams from all over the country, good or bad they qualified in the state they live in and they come compete at a national event to the best of their ability.

For me, PGF favors teams, specifically competitive teams. This includes competitive teams across the nation. From the FC, Socal A' to the Jersey Intensity, East Cobb Bullets, Team North Florida, Washington Ladyhawks.

ASA more favors umpires, and the umpires desire for a free samwich.

Both hand out invites. PGF is just a more competitive field, and more optimized for teams. ASA is more optimized for umpires and dragging you to a remote location where they can maximize cash extraction.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch