Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF/Surf City Shootout Tournament

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:14 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
jonriv wrote:Just curious-does the fact that these coaches attended on Friday(a school day) put into question their commitment to their player's academics?

If any DD can't handle missing a single day of high school then she has no business being a college athlete at any level. I've asked that question and that was the universal reply I have received in a nut shell.

I would flip it and say the DD's commitment to her sport should be put into question... Just sayin!

"Family, school, softball" means little to some.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by jonriv » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
jonriv wrote:Just curious-does the fact that these coaches attended on Friday(a school day) put into question their commitment to their player's academics?

If any DD can't handle missing a single day of high school then she has no business being a college athlete at any level. I've asked that question and that was the universal reply I have received in a nut shell.

I would flip it and say the DD's commitment to her sport should be put into question... Just sayin!

Obviously from your ignorant group that put the sports above the academics. The difference in college is that when the players are away from campus they have the support of tutors, advisors etc... Here they are just missing school- and probably not the only day either. At the end of the day- it is the academics and the type of degree the player receives that are really important- softball is just a means of achieving that.
jonriv

by as the world turns » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:22 pm

tbjd33 wrote:

You got it, Sport, it's all about commitment to the sport, screw the education! Just sayin!! :lol: :lol:
D e l u s i o n a l
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by tbjd33 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:18 pm

jonriv wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

Obviously from your ignorant group that put the sports above the academics. The difference in college is that when the players are away from campus they have the support of tutors, advisors etc... Here they are just missing school- and probably not the only day either. At the end of the day- it is the academics and the type of degree the player receives that are really important- softball is just a means of achieving that.

Man you never miss a chance do you. Again, you don't get it. It's not about school or softball. It's about both!

Doesn't matter what school or major any DD attends, bottom line they are going to have to deal with lack of time and a cramped schedule. No one cares they must juggle competing in a sport and in the class room. Their degree doesn't have a softball sticker on it!!

That being said, damn right a college coach evaluates when a DD is there on a Friday or wimps out cause they don't want to have make up work or resourceful enough to find out what was taught in a single 1 HR class that day. Wait here's a thought, maybe they could communicate with the teacher and make arrangements so it makes it easier. Oh I don't know!

One thing I've seen is its the person behind the paper not the paper itself. I've seen DD's and Son's attend top flight education schools and have nothing when they get out and I've seen our local State school sure to thrive. That's regardless of sport or not.

So yes I absolutely encourage my DD to not worry about it and press on. The world doesn't allow for excuses... They still want an A!!
tbjd33

by BB2830 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:27 am

Disagree. Have a player on our team that had a grade lowered due to number of missed days last year due to Fall travel. Not all teachers get the travel thing. That A to a B could affect entry into a school. Education HAS to come first and I would question a coach/school that didn't understand why a kid couldn't make an 8 a.m. game due to a test or other class commitments.
BB2830

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 am

tbjd33 wrote:
jonriv wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

Man you never miss a chance do you. Again, you don't get it. It's not about school or softball. It's about both!

Doesn't matter what school or major any DD attends, bottom line they are going to have to deal with lack of time and a cramped schedule. No one cares they must juggle competing in a sport and in the class room. Their degree doesn't have a softball sticker on it!!

That being said, damn right a college coach evaluates when a DD is there on a Friday or wimps out cause they don't want to have make up work or resourceful enough to find out what was taught in a single 1 HR class that day. Wait here's a thought, maybe they could communicate with the teacher and make arrangements so it makes it easier. Oh I don't know!

One thing I've seen is its the person behind the paper not the paper itself. I've seen DD's and Son's attend top flight education schools and have nothing when they get out and I've seen our local State school sure to thrive. That's regardless of sport or not.

So yes I absolutely encourage my DD to not worry about it and press on. The world doesn't allow for excuses... They still want an A!!

I call total BS on that statement. No coach is going to penalize a top recruit for choosing not to miss a HS class over a travel softball game. And if they did this to any recruit you wouldn't want your kid playing for someone with such low moral character anyway.

33, you never fail to amaze me on the lengths you will go to convince yourself you're right when you've taken a stand on something. It's okay to be wrong sometimes.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dsks3030 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:14 am

I think 33 is just playing devils advocate, any normal or sane parent would disagree with the statements. I think it is a balance and dependent on the classes the student/athlete takes. If you are taking general courses just to make sure they keep their GPA up then you can miss class and still maintain that GPA (theoretically). For most though I am sure they are taking Honors or AP classes which are much more difficult to stay on top of. Knowing how educated most everyone is on heybucket about the college process knows if a college can save athletic money they will unlike male sports where GPA has no factor in scholarships. I 100% agree with jonriv, if a coach marks a player down because of putting academics in front of a fall showcase then I don't want my kid playing for that coach.

At the end of the day it is about that college degree and as jonriv put it, softball is just a means of getting there.
dsks3030
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:33 am

Nothing like pimping the DD at the whim of a tournament director, or at the direction of a college coach.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by tbjd33 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:31 pm

dsks3030 wrote:I think 33 is just playing devils advocate, any normal or sane parent would disagree with the statements. I think it is a balance and dependent on the classes the student/athlete takes. If you are taking general courses just to make sure they keep their GPA up then you can miss class and still maintain that GPA (theoretically). For most though I am sure they are taking Honors or AP classes which are much more difficult to stay on top of. Knowing how educated most everyone is on heybucket about the college process knows if a college can save athletic money they will unlike male sports where GPA has no factor in scholarships. I 100% agree with jonriv, if a coach marks a player down because of putting academics in front of a fall showcase then I don't want my kid playing for that coach.

At the end of the day it is about that college degree and as jonriv put it, softball is just a means of getting there.

Finally a reasonable sound person... Hey I just forward info that has come to us through our journey. I ask a ton of questions. I give you guys the answers and you guys hate what it is. Keep believing what you want!

Everything is evaluated in the game and offers.
tbjd33

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:35 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
dsks3030 wrote:I think 33 is just playing devils advocate, any normal or sane parent would disagree with the statements. I think it is a balance and dependent on the classes the student/athlete takes. If you are taking general courses just to make sure they keep their GPA up then you can miss class and still maintain that GPA (theoretically). For most though I am sure they are taking Honors or AP classes which are much more difficult to stay on top of. Knowing how educated most everyone is on heybucket about the college process knows if a college can save athletic money they will unlike male sports where GPA has no factor in scholarships. I 100% agree with jonriv, if a coach marks a player down because of putting academics in front of a fall showcase then I don't want my kid playing for that coach.

Finally a reasonable sound person... Hey I just forward info that has come to us through our journey. I ask a ton of questions. I give you guys the answers and you guys hate what it is. Keep believing what you want!

Everything is evaluated in the game and offers.

33, you may want to read dsks3030's post again. Particularly the part that states, "any normal or sane parent would disagree with the statements." I'm pretty sure you are being referred to as an insane devil.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch