Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Bat Testing at PGF

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by kevin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:07 pm

I am happy bat testing finally took place at PGF this year. It was like the end of the steroid era in baseball. Much more realistic performances this year. Still remember watching 12u PGF two years ago and in the short time I spent watching games there must of been 8-10 homeruns hit, same at 14u. Kudos to PGF.

Now when the fall showcases start and all of a sudden the home run power returns miraculously :lol:
kevin

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Although I wasn't in attendance I followed the PGF Nationals both weeks closely thru Pointstreak and by watching many games on FloSoftball and it definitely occurred to me that there were a LOT less balls not only flying out of the park but also any extra base hits at all seemed to be at a premium. Even the HRs I saw seemed to not have the distance I have seen in the past.

If they were truly able to catch altered bats then kudos to PGF. I know there are plenty of college coaches with "buyers remorse" wondering where that recruit's power went now that she's there.

P.S. Go Steelers! :D
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 10GatorCoach » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Did not hurt that the fences were set at 215' or 220' this year instead of 200' either. I would say that played much more of a role. I saw many balls that would have went out on 200' fences, but doubles/triples instead.
10GatorCoach

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:33 pm

10GatorCoach wrote:Did not hurt that the fences were set at 215' or 220' this year instead of 200' either. I would say that played much more of a role. I saw many balls that would have went out on 200' fences, but doubles/triples instead.

If that's true that the fences were set back further then that would definitely be a factor. However that wouldn't explain the lack of times I saw batters truly "square up" on the ball.

I'll tell you what I did see was a lot of great diving catches by outfielders on balls hit in front of them.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 10GatorCoach » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Was there for some of 12/18 and all of 14/16 and fences were definitely back to 215' maybe 220'. Very high level offense and defense both weeks! The ball seemed different as well. There was alot of talk around the parks about it sounding dead, or like a mush ball. I have to say there were still some absolute bombs hit as well. All in all I thought it was great. Cannot wait until next year!
10GatorCoach

by jmo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:50 pm

10GatorCoach wrote:Did not hurt that the fences were set at 215' or 220' this year instead of 200' either. I would say that played much more of a role. I saw many balls that would have went out on 200' fences, but doubles/triples instead.

Fences were 200' - same as they are always set at. Cities don't change the distance.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 10GatorCoach » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

You are wrong. It was clear they were set back from thw normal 200' There are lines in the grass at HBSC at the 200' mark and lines painted in the grass at FV. The fences were 15-20' farther than those lines. We asked a PGF rep and they said yes, the fences are back. I think it is great setting thwm at 215' for an elite event like PGF. It made for even more great OF play among other things. I hope PGF makes this the norm at all events.
10GatorCoach

by SeeBallHitBall » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Those lines are for Coed slowpitch softball. They are not the 200' fence lines
Don;t doubt JMO. He knows of what he speaks.

He may know what he speaks but there were inconsistencies between those fields with temp fences and those with set fences. I marked off Field 8 at FV and it was 240. It was had set dimensions. I marched of 80 large paces from home place down to the left field fence after a player hit a towering drive caught at the base of the fence.

I'm sure Deanna Manning was the standard 200-215 and the majority of temp fences at HB, FV and BB were 200, but any teams that were using a set configuration that was not adjustable was enjoying a large outfield. Thankfully, my DD's team only played on that field during pool/practice games.
SeeBallHitBall

by jmo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:10 pm

SeeBallHitBall wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Those lines are for Coed slowpitch softball. They are not the 200' fence lines

He may know what he speaks but there were inconsistencies between those fields with temp fences and those with set fences. I marked off Field 8 at FV and it was 240. It was had set dimensions. I marched of 80 large paces from home place down to the left field fence after a player hit a towering drive caught at the base of the fence.

I'm sure Deanna Manning was the standard 200-215 and the majority of temp fences at HB, FV and BB were 200, but any teams that were using a set configuration that was not adjustable was enjoying a large outfield. Thankfully, my DD's team only played on that field during pool/practice games.

Field 8 at FVSP was only used for pool play. Those are used for baseball during the year are not the 200' fences as set on the softball fields used for bracket play - fields 1-7.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SeeBallHitBall » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:47 pm

jmo wrote:
SeeBallHitBall wrote:

Field 8 at FVSP was only used for pool play. Those are used for baseball during the year are not the 200' fences as set on the softball fields used for bracket play - fields 1-7.

Thank you for confirming my obvious findings. Spaz, stick to what you know....and don't doubt the 80 pace march :-)...If you saw three HRs at that field, they were shots by some corn-fed midwest girl
SeeBallHitBall

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch