Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

5 schools that should have softball but don't

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by Schmick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:40 pm

It's 2019, title ix has been around for 40 years and softball is easily one of the top 3 sports played by females in this country. So why are there still so many major division 1 universities that to don't have softball programs?

Who are the 5 Division 1 schools that you think it would make the most sense to have a softball program?
List them 5-1

5. Pepperdine. This would be a slam dunk, softball crazy Southern California, a top flight education and a school in the hills of Malibu. Our pitching coach, after playing at Arizona and professionally was looking for a place to earn her master's and be A graduate assistant coach, she said she would have loved to coach the waves and was shocked they didn't have a softball team

4. UC Irvine. I don't think many states in this country can produce the amount of d1 softball players year in and year out as the county of Orange. How does Orange Counties best University not have a softball team? They have plenty of space for the facilities and until they're built the school could use the legit softball stadiums at Bill Barber park or The Great Park, both in Irvine.

3. Clemson. The ACC is emerging as a softball power and with Florida State fresh off a national title it's time for the other ACC schools to get on board. Clemson has the money from their recent football success and have ling been a power in baseball. Tiger softball makes sense, especially with all the girls doing the Dabb and not having a clue who it's named after.

2. Miami. See ACC and FSU remark about Clemson and then multiply it by infinity for instate rival Miami Hurricanes. Miami has long been the state's standard bearer for college baseball so having a college softball team should be expected.

1. USC. The Trojans have twice as many National Titles in baseball as the next closest school. They are also the cross town rival of the ucla ruins, who are the most successful college softball program in the nation. USC leads all universities in National Championships in men's sports but lag way behind Stanford and ucla in women's championships and thus are third in the nation overall. In the last decade USC has added several women's athletic programs and have song of competed for national titles in them right away, softball would be no different. Southern California produces the most softball players Inn the country, nobody will argue that. It only makes sense that the University of Southern California fields a softball program
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Schmick wrote:It's 2019, title ix has been around for 40 years and softball is easily one of the top 3 sports played by females in this country. So why are there still so many major division 1 universities that to don't have softball programs?

Who are the 5 Division 1 schools that you think it would make the most sense to have a softball program?
List them 5-1

5. Pepperdine. This would be a slam dunk, softball crazy Southern California, a top flight education and a school in the hills of Malibu. Our pitching coach, after playing at Arizona and professionally was looking for a place to earn her master's and be A graduate assistant coach, she said she would have loved to coach the waves and was shocked they didn't have a softball team

4. UC Irvine. I don't think many states in this country can produce the amount of d1 softball players year in and year out as the county of Orange. How does Orange Counties best University not have a softball team? They have plenty of space for the facilities and until they're built the school could use the legit softball stadiums at Bill Barber park or The Great Park, both in Irvine.

3. Clemson. The ACC is emerging as a softball power and with Florida State fresh off a national title it's time for the other ACC schools to get on board. Clemson has the money from their recent football success and have ling been a power in baseball. Tiger softball makes sense, especially with all the girls doing the Dabb and not having a clue who it's named after.

2. Miami. See ACC and FSU remark about Clemson and then multiply it by infinity for instate rival Miami Hurricanes. Miami has long been the state's standard bearer for college baseball so having a college softball team should be expected.

1. USC. The Trojans have twice as many National Titles in baseball as the next closest school. They are also the cross town rival of the ucla ruins, who are the most successful college softball program in the nation. USC leads all universities in National Championships in men's sports but lag way behind Stanford and ucla in women's championships and thus are third in the nation overall. In the last decade USC has added several women's athletic programs and have song of competed for national titles in them right away, softball would be no different. Southern California produces the most softball players Inn the country, nobody will argue that. It only makes sense that the University of Southern California fields a softball program

Take Clemson off your list. They must have heard you.

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/softball/
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
Schmick wrote:It's 2019, title ix has been around for 40 years and softball is easily one of the top 3 sports played by females in this country. So why are there still so many major division 1 universities that to don't have softball programs?

List them 5-1

Take Clemson off your list. They must have heard you.

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/softball/

Then remove the clemmens and replace them on the list with Washington State
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Vanderbilt
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm

PairOfAces wrote:Vanderbilt

Would you rank them over the other schools?

Why?

Does Tennessee develop enough players to have a second major college program in the state?

Compared to USC, Miami, UCI, how would you rank Vanderbilts ability to field a decent program right away?
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 am

USC is a bummer. I heard that space for a field was the reason. Is that the case?
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am

eclipse09 wrote:USC is a bummer. I heard that space for a field was the reason. Is that the case?

Heard that excuse for USC and UCI.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:51 am

Schmick wrote:

Why?

Does Tennessee develop enough players to have a second major college program in the state?

Compared to USC, Miami, UCI, how would you rank Vanderbilts ability to field a decent program right away?

I wouldn't necessarily rank them over the schools mentioned, but on a par. UCI doesn't generate that much interest in any sport so I don't think they would automatically be successful in softball, and I don't think USC's location is great for softball.

I think Vandy could recruit from all over the south and Midwest, not just in state, and I think they would take away a lot of recruits from the mid-majors in the region and probably snag a couple of 3, 4, and 5 star recruits from UT. It's a great school in a great city - one of the fastest growing areas of the country.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:USC is a bummer. I heard that space for a field was the reason. Is that the case?

Heard that excuse for USC and UCI.

Space is not a problem for UCI, there is more than enough space near the baseball stadium or across the street from Crawford Field near the medical complex. Also, across University, and over the creek is a massive open area that could house 10 softball fields.

USC does not have space on campus for a softball field, but Expo Park is across the street from USC, it is where the Colliseum is at, and it has plenty of room for a softball facility.
Where I feel USC dropped the ball was when they allowed Will Ferrell to come in and take the Sports Arena location and build a soccer stadium. USC should have taken that location and built a new baseball stadium then taken the current baseball stadium on campus and make that in to a softball stadium and the extra space they could have enlarged the football practice facility.
Right now USCs soccer and lacrosse teams play at McAllister Field, blocks away from campus, but close to the frat houses, that facility could be converted to a softball field as well if the soccer and lacrosse teams start to use the soccer stadium or other soccer fields at Expo Park.
USCs campus is small, fits in a one block area in LA, so on campus space is limited but how many schools across the nation have all of their facilities on campus?
Plus, the area will need an Olympic Softball venue with LA getting a summer games bid.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 pm

PairOfAces wrote:
Schmick wrote:

Why?

I wouldn't necessarily rank them over the schools mentioned, but on a par. UCI doesn't generate that much interest in any sport so I don't think they would automatically be successful in softball, and I don't think USC's location is great for softball.

I think Vandy could recruit from all over the south and Midwest, not just in state, and I think they would take away a lot of recruits from the mid-majors in the region and probably snag a couple of 3, 4, and 5 star recruits from UT. It's a great school in a great city - one of the fastest growing areas of the country.

USCs location is in Southern California, how is that not a great location for softball?
Same with UCI, I'd bet that Orange County produces more D1 softball players every year than the entire state of Tennessee, probably more than Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama combined. How is that not a great location for softball? Saying Southern California is not a good location for softball is like saying that Hawaii is not a good location for surfing
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to College Softball