Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

PALM SPRINGS CLASSIC

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jmo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Mizzou now up 5-3 on UCLA. T3
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by shockcoach » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Any word on how Kimi Pohlman is doing? I see she's not in the lineup today after her collision at 1st base yesterday during the Missouri game.
shockcoach

by AlwaysImprove » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Fresno State downs UCLA 6-3 with a base clearing triple in the top of 7.
Moses worked the outside of the plate all game and for the most part the Bruins did not adjust. That coupled with several infield errors led to the loss.
Cal Poly puts up 14 against Nebraska.

How can UCLA fail to adjust to the outside pitch. Bad enough when the 14U's fail to adjust.

Thanks for the updates, and the little bit of commentary. They have been awesome.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:00 pm

NumeroUno wrote:To all my so cal friends who will disagree with me here is my prediction:

Georgia or Oklahoma win a nationals title this year or next.

I brought up Oklahoma winning the title at the Palm Springs classic and I was shot down. The crowd around me said no chance with Patty Gasso coaching. What do you think that meant?

All that means, to me e, is that Gasso has had the talent a couple of times. Down the stretch Gasso gets very animated very excited and her teams underperform.

Thanks for the updates.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Is it to late for UCLA to recruit pitching? Carda does not appear to be the answer this year.

A few thoughts on the Carda situation -

What year did she verbal? was she a sophomore at the time?

If she was an early verbal and doesn't work out, might her case and others like her lead college coaches to re-evaluate the early verbal process? It seems the top pitchers in 12u aren't always the same top pitchers in 16u, some fall out and others come up, and the same thing happens from 16 to college. If colleges start recruiting their pitchers in 14s they are only asking for trouble. IMO

Not sure if she was meant to be the answer as a freshman. If Macon isn't hurt, it takes a lot of pressure off Carda. They also have Rodino (Jr) and Hall (So), so it's not like KIP was sitting back waiting for Carda to show up and save UCLA softball. If Macon is done and Rodino doesn't have it, then Hall has to be the one stepping up here. If she can't and it does fall to Carda, it might be rough season. On the other hand, it should make Carda stronger going forward.

Not sure if any P is recruited with the idea that they will take over as #1 in college as a frosh. Generally speaking most coaches would probably prefer an older pitcher as #1 and bring the younger pitcher along without that level of pressure. Some kids step into the #1 role but it's asking a lot of a freshman to put a top 10 (25?) team on her back.

On the other hand, as coaches recruit younger and younger, they will "miss" more often on their recruits, and end up looking earlier toward who they have coming in next year to bolster the staff. This will likely hold true across all positions, but most pronounced at P.

It's too early to really give up on anybody, unless they have been destroyed every time out, which is hardly the case with Carda. She will likely improve as the season progresses, and what matters is where she is at come May/June. By then February will be a distant memory. There is plenty of time for her to grow into her role.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by Trophy Hunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Syracuse leading UCLA 3-1 in the 5th.

Word is Macon is done and they obviously don't have much faith in Rodino based on the innings they are giving her.

This certainly appears to be the case.
Hall is doing well, considering more than half the runs she has allowed have been unearned. If she can continue as she's going they can bring Carda along, and get a few innings here and there from Rodino, they should be fine. It's a long season.

UCLA just put up 3 to take the lead 4-3 now in B6.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by NumeroUno » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:43 pm

A 2 out error for UCLA let Syracuse take a 3-1 lead.

Syracuse having a little problem making routine plays as well, a 2 out error for Syracuse cost them the lead, UCLA up 4-3
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by NumeroUno » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:49 pm

UCLA closes it out with a 6-3 victory
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Just curious, but why is it that no one mentioned Cal? Aren't they the #1 ranked team in the country right now?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fifteen's » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:Just curious, but why is it that no one mentioned Cal? Aren't they the #1 ranked team in the country right now?

Saw them last week in Las Vegas. They looked really good! They put a beat down on LSU!
Fifteen's

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball