Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Adjusting to the Weather

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

Would love to hear some stories about how players moving to another part of the country adjusted to weather?(or did not adjust) I would think a California player playing the upper Midwest or Northeast would find the "Spring" conditions midseason quite an adjustment.

Deep south Heat & Humidity might pose some issues for any player from the North. Altitude might pose a problem for any "flatlander" playing in Utah or Clorado
jonriv

by PlayingfortheOCB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:17 pm

jonriv wrote:Would love to hear some stories about how players moving to another part of the country adjusted to weather?(or did not adjust) I would think a California player playing the upper Midwest or Northeast would find the "Spring" conditions midseason quite an adjustment.

Deep south Heat & Humidity might pose some issues for any player from the North. Altitude might pose a problem for any "flatlander" playing in Utah or Clorado

Fresno Calif to Knoxville, Tenn... The two biggest issues have been the 1) Severe Thunderstorms with the threat of Tornadoes and Hail storms... & 2) the humidity.

Being from Fresno, Melissa has had her share of summer heat but not much humidity.. Fortunately, she isn't in knoxville over the summer when the humidity can get pretty bad but still a couple months in the fall and a couple months in early spring can be pretty humid. However, the spring thunderstorms with the threat of tornadoes and hail get pretty crazy. Her car had 6K of hail damage during the bad spring storms of 2011. She had a teammate .... Shelby Burchell... would tell Melissa.... OK... It's time to seek shelter.... otherwise Melissa would be freaking out over every threatning cloud... the storms do get pretty intense!
PlayingfortheOCB

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am

Cal to Massachusetts... humidity... massachusetts drivers.... and fresh fruit. Dammit... FRESH fruit, as in F-R-E-S-H fruit. oh... sorry... drifted off the weather... apologies.
fasterpitch92701

by 3'sDad » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 am

92701: They do grow very nice cranberries, blueberries, apples & other produce such as corn & tomatoes in Mass. The cold water atlantic lobsters, clams & fish are beyond fresh as they can go from pot to pot in a few hours.

The world's best cheddar is made just across the border in VT.
3'sDad

by hit4power » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:56 pm

We'll be heading up to the NE a week from tomorrow (Monday). Been buying the cold weather gear for DD and looking forward to some good corn on the cob and fresh lobster. Gonna drop off DD and head to Maine for a mom-and-dad-only, and well earned, long weekend. DD visited her school last fall and it was beautiful. Don't know what it will look like with a foot of snow on the ground...
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:24 am

We will be heading to the East Coast in about a week. My kids loves the cold and the rain (so do I) so I think she will be just fine, especially since she has been wanting this since the 8th grade. We shall see!!!
Sftbll4ever

by 3'sDad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 am

I'll trade the cold, snow, sleet and slush for 300 days of 74 and sun with no humidity. Maybe I'd tire of the nice weather but let's give it a shot and see.

You all coming East will have the have the chowdah - made with clams, fresh milk & cream & potatoes. Chowder made with a tomato base with lots of vegetables isn't found much north of NY.
3'sDad

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:21 am

3'sDad wrote:I'll trade the cold, snow, sleet and slush for 300 days of 74 and sun with no humidity. Maybe I'd tire of the nice weather but let's give it a shot and see.

You all coming East will have the have the chowdah - made with clams, fresh milk & cream & potatoes. Chowder made with a tomato base with lots of vegetables isn't found much north of NY.

My kid HATES seafood, but she will only have chowdah if is it on the east coast!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!
Sftbll4ever

by hit4power » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 am

I'll trade the cold, snow, sleet and slush for 300 days of 74 and sun with no humidity.

My older one went to school in LA and he actually did complain (once) about how monotonous the weather was - now he's in SF and missing it.

I grew up in the NE and I do miss fall - down here in "Yews-ton" we just don't get the pretty colors and crisp mornings. I don't miss winter a bit, and you betcha I'll have some chow-dah as soon as I can find some good silver queen corn...
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3'sDad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:58 pm

My in-laws are in Houston....The Woodlands actually. We ship them Taylor Pork Roll a few times a year as it is impossible to find at HEB's.

Whe the DD was younger we timed our annual Spring visit for the HLSR. I had never been and chuckled the 1st time we went. After that 1st trip I loved going; rodeo is a blast with 70,000 of your best friends at the Astrodome or Reliant.

The Woodlands reminds me of where we live.
3'sDad

Next

Return to College Softball