Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Best Schools for Nursing-mentioned i another post

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by DonnieS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:18 pm

jonriv wrote::D
DonnieS wrote:
3'sDad wrote:One of my very good friends from college (On the Banks of the Olde Raritan) has a daughter at Gwynedd Mercy College, just outside of Doylestown, PA.

Many of the softball players (including my buddy's daughter) are nursing majors. The coach adjusts practice time to allow for labs, etc. The nursing program and softball program co-exist peacefully and work together.

Will these players ever play on ESPN; probably not. If they complete their nursing degrees, will they all graduate employed - probably.

Damn straight and on top of that, they can live any where they want to. Nurses are needed every where - even Breckenridge Colorado. Its a tough place but someone has to live there.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Steady work = alcohol + skiers+idiots

An ER's dream. (my bro is an ER doc - he and his partners once joked about starting a business renting out 4 wheelers - I think the liability insurance changed their minds)
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

3'sDad wrote:One of my very good friends from college (On the Banks of the Olde Raritan) has a daughter at Gwynedd Mercy College, just outside of Doylestown, PA.

Many of the softball players (including my buddy's daughter) are nursing majors. The coach adjusts practice time to allow for labs, etc. The nursing program and softball program co-exist peacefully and work together.

Will these players ever play on ESPN; probably not. If they complete their nursing degrees, will they all graduate employed - probably.

What do they do when clinicals start? That would seem a bit much to work around.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by 3'sDad » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:24 am

My buddy described the progam as a 2+2. His DD is only a freshman so I'm not sure of the answer.

Here is a link to the School of Nursing website.

http://www.gmc.edu/academics/nursing/
3'sDad

by DonnieS » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Battle wrote:

What do they do when clinicals start? That would seem a bit much to work around.

B, I was on the outside of the talk that was held where the nursing major was discussed. The question was 'do you have an interest in a nursing career, because any other major we can handle '. And I think I heard them talking about the problems involved with clinicals.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Donnie
Yeah, labs I can see them working around although it would be hard but clinicals would seem a lot to work around.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by DocCroc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 am

Just went through this with my DD who wants to get her BSN. She has played JUCO ball (pitcher) for 2 years, and was looking to transfer to a university where she could continue to play as well as pursue nursing. Most schools who showed interest in her athletically became uninterested as soon as she told the coach what her major would be, and told her to contact them if she decided to change her major. She finally did get a decent offer from a DI school that has a history of middling performance and is in a middling conference, but has an excellent nursing program. Coach has had multiple nursing majors graduate, and is willing to work with the players. So my thoughts are: Unless your DD has a .500 batting average, or a 71 mph curveball that she can throw around a corner, look for a less competitive (athletically) university. The more top tier the program, the less likely they are to want a nursing major on their team.
DocCroc

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 am

It's not just nursing. A LOT of your top tier DI universities will not let you do a lot of majors. Some of them will tell you what you can major in. Also, if you look at a lot of them, their graduation rate is not that great for their athletes. Some, if not most, need more than 5 years to get their degree. There is nothing wrong with that, but seeing that at a lot of the schools these girls (or their parents) are needing to take out a lot of loans to pay for school since the school usually will not pay too much for the first year.

One of my dd's went into school thinking she was going to double major, now, she has decided to major and minor (maybe double minor) and is hoping to still finish in 4 years.

At my other dd's school, she has girls on her team that are biochemical engineering majors, engineering majors...... They will be graduating in 4 years as the coach allows them to pursue this.
Sftbll4ever

by avilasoftball » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 am

avilasoftball

by Bleacher Creature » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:24 am

I personally know of one young lady that is in the nursing program at the University of Arkansas. Clinicals are what I heard are the issue .Apparently they seem to have worked something out?
"If you aint first your last"
Bleacher Creature
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Rocket8 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Dominican University of California, a D2 school that plays in the Pacific West Conference, has an outstanding nursing school. The coach is very flexible when it comes to scheduling practices to allow the girls to attend their classes and also play softball.
Rocket8

Previous

Return to College Softball