Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Best Schools for Nursing-mentioned i another post

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:Arizona State University has a nursing program and allows its softball players to pursue this degree and play softball.

Some of the other schools listed do not allow you to choose this path.

I hate to question you since you could kick my arse but do you know of any ASU players that graduated through the nursing program? Just doesn't seem like the two would coexist there.

Well, no Sir, I do not. They do currently have a player going through the program, so maybe in about 3 years we will see how it goes. Although, at a lot of these larger DI programs, most of their players do not graduate in the typical 4 years. Mostly because of the time contraints of their sport, but also because of the degree they have chosen.
Sftbll4ever

by Softball Swami » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 am

freetacos wrote:I wouldn't touch ULL with a 10' pole. Softball wise anyway. Lotief is a total ass. Carries a roster of 30 then weeds them out in thier first year. One of my former players verballed her junior year and was thrilled with her decision. She left after her freshman year having been basically pushed off the team. She was told she could stay on the team but no money and don't plan on playing. He gets alot of girls to commit for basically little to no scholorship money.
He is a great coach but cutthroat to the extreme.
I know it's his job but ya know what, it's also someones dream and education.

Dam, makes me mad just thinking about it. I have known about 6 girls that went to school there and only one graduated. Yes all softball players.
Word to the wise ...if the university of your choice carries 30 or so players...run like hell the other way.

ft

Do you expect the starting catcher to catch all of the bullpen practices for the pitchers? Do you expect the starting pitchers to also throw BP to the field players? To me, a major D1 program has to carry a lot of players for things like I mention above. Also, the State of Louisiana is unique in that it has a "TOPS" program in which the state pays the tuition for residents who qualify in of high school. ULL has a lot of in-state walk-ons who just want to be part of the program and who are getting their tuition paid for by the state. It is not costing Lotief any of his allotted scholarships for these girls to be on the roster. Most of these girls will never see an inning of a regular game but they help with practices on a daily basis.

In regards to graduation rates, it is my understanding that ULL has a graduation rate of approximately 95% for the girls that stay and play there for 4 years. Lotief has always said that no position is secure and that every girl will have to continuously compete for her position. I don't know the circumstances surrounding your former player, but is it possible that she didn't want to have to compete for playing time or that a girl came to the program that was just simply a better player than her?
Softball Swami

by 3'sDad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 am

One of my very good friends from college (On the Banks of the Olde Raritan) has a daughter at Gwynedd Mercy College, just outside of Doylestown, PA.

Many of the softball players (including my buddy's daughter) are nursing majors. The coach adjusts practice time to allow for labs, etc. The nursing program and softball program co-exist peacefully and work together.

Will these players ever play on ESPN; probably not. If they complete their nursing degrees, will they all graduate employed - probably.
3'sDad

by freetacos » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 am

Drink that koolaid swami....grad rates don't apply to the kids that quit.

Listen...lotief dosen't give a crap about you defending him. He and his wife own Lafayette. What's in it for you? Do you have extensive knowledge of the program or are you just running your mouth to hear yourself talk (or type in this instance).

Leave it alone unless you really know what you are talking about. By the way all the girls I was talking about were out of state.

ft
freetacos

by Softball Swami » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 am

freetacos wrote:Drink that koolaid swami....grad rates don't apply to the kids that quit.

Listen...lotief dosen't give a crap about you defending him. He and his wife own Lafayette. What's in it for you? Do you have extensive knowledge of the program or are you just running your mouth to hear yourself talk (or type in this instance).

Leave it alone unless you really know what you are talking about. By the way all the girls I was talking about were out of state.

ft

I know what I am talking about and yes, I do have extensive knowledge of the program.
Softball Swami

by Fredegar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 am

freetacos wrote:I wouldn't touch ULL with a 10' pole. Softball wise anyway. Lotief is a total ass. Carries a roster of 30 then weeds them out in thier first year. One of my former players verballed her junior year and was thrilled with her decision. She left after her freshman year having been basically pushed off the team. She was told she could stay on the team but no money and don't plan on playing. He gets alot of girls to commit for basically little to no scholorship money.
He is a great coach but cutthroat to the extreme.
I know it's his job but ya know what, it's also someones dream and education.

I apologize in advance for my part in continuing to hijack this thread, but ...

FreeTacos, just to play devil's advocate here, you say the coach is "cutthroat". A lot of college coaches are. In every sport. 1) You say he "gets alot of girls to commit for basically little to no scholarship money". That's a GOOD thing for the program. Limited scholarship money is spread thin. He's a genius if he can get kids to play for free. No one's arm is being twisted. If you don't like his offer, don't verbal. 2) Always sad to hear about players where the situation doesn't work out. But it sounds like the player wasn't cutting it (coach must not have been happy with either the ability, effort, attitude ... who knows). In any case, he chose to reduce her scholarship and reward others who performed. Yes, it's cutthroat, but if someone's not contributing, should they still get their scholarship? Some will argue yes (girl's dream, scholarship was made in good faith, etc). But others will argue that money should be taken from non-contributors and reward those who are deserving. Because it doesn't seem fair that a Walk-on, who worked hard to get into the starting lineup, continues to get no money, while a bench player is getting 75%.

Yes, some coaches are known for reducing scholarships based on performance. Others are not. That is definitely one of the factors that should be considered when choosing a school. Along with roster-size, as you said. And whether or not you can major in Nursing (my feeble attempt to bring this back to the topic). :D
Fredegar

by freetacos » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:50 am

I gave a heartfelt opinion of ULL and the coach there. If you choose to ignore it or not believe it fine. It is not going to effect me in any way at all.

Good luck to you and you kid finding the right fit in college.

Actually I have a personal vendetta against the coach and made all this crap up.(sarcasm)

ft

I still say that walking into a situation where the roster is 30 or so is a fools game.
freetacos

by jonriv » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 am

freetacos wrote:I gave a heartfelt opinion of ULL and the coach there. If you choose to ignore it or not believe it fine. It is not going to effect me in any way at all.

Good luck to you and you kid finding the right fit in college.

Actually I have a personal vendetta against the coach and made all this crap up.(sarcasm)

ft

I still say that walking into a situation where the roster is 30 or so is a fools game.

30 SEEMS LIKE A LOT- DDs college roster was 19 and playing time was thin for some. I can understand while a coach would like a big roster, but it should at least raise a flag for a prospective student-athlete
jonriv

by DonnieS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm

3'sDad wrote:One of my very good friends from college (On the Banks of the Olde Raritan) has a daughter at Gwynedd Mercy College, just outside of Doylestown, PA.

Many of the softball players (including my buddy's daughter) are nursing majors. The coach adjusts practice time to allow for labs, etc. The nursing program and softball program co-exist peacefully and work together.

Will these players ever play on ESPN; probably not. If they complete their nursing degrees, will they all graduate employed - probably.

Damn straight and on top of that, they can live any where they want to. Nurses are needed every where - even Breckenridge Colorado. Its a tough place but someone has to live there.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:33 pm

:D
DonnieS wrote:
3'sDad wrote:One of my very good friends from college (On the Banks of the Olde Raritan) has a daughter at Gwynedd Mercy College, just outside of Doylestown, PA.

Damn straight and on top of that, they can live any where they want to. Nurses are needed every where - even Breckenridge Colorado. Its a tough place but someone has to live there.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Steady work = alcohol + skiers+idiots
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball