Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

2013 Approved Bat List

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am

https://sup.arbitersports.com/Groups/10 ... t_List.pdf

Perhaps PGF or ASA will decide to use this list for their tournaments?
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm

But they do field test:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... n+softball

and there are penalties:
https://nfca.org/index.php/front-page-n ... -penalties

I agree many of the bats on the list are not there due to age, but it is certainly a more restrictive list than what is currently being enforced in TB..JMO but girls playing in a college showcase should have to use only NCAA approved bats
jonriv

by Anti-Clone » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 am

Spazsdad wrote:
jonriv wrote:https://sup.arbitersports.com/Groups/104484/Library/files/NCAA_Approved_Softball_Bat_List.pdf

Perhaps PGF or ASA will decide to use this list for their tournaments?

Why? At least ASA has standards that the bats are tested to, not just relying on the manufacturers word that it will pass. It is basically nothing more than a list of their current product since they don't submit older bats to be on the list.

Bat models listed herein are placed on the list by the manufacturer because the manufacturer believes them to be appropriate
to the collegiate fastpitch game and in compliance with the batted ball exit speed standard of less than 98 mph.
Placement of bats on the NCAA Approved Softball Bat List does not guarantee, or otherwise mean, compliance with ASA/NCAA standards.

ASA does the same thing. Rubberstamps bats based on the manufacturer's specs. NCAA actually tests many bats afterward and bans them if they don't meet the requirements.
Anti-Clone

by Trophy Hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 am

jonriv wrote:But they do field test:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... n+softball

and there are penalties:
https://nfca.org/index.php/front-page-n ... -penalties

I agree many of the bats on the list are not there due to age, but it is certainly a more restrictive list than what is currently being enforced in TB..JMO but girls playing in a college showcase should have to use only NCAA approved bats

Baloney. The idea of a showcase is to look good for college coaches by hitting 300' foot bombs, the more the better, obviously. F-7 after F-7 doesnt get the job done. Girls should use the hottest bat in their arsenal, anything else defeats the purpose.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:57 am

If they are using equipment that is "illegal" in college competition then why should it be allowed to use it in a showcase to get to play in college? If the argument "for many" that it is a safety issue than even more of a reason. I just think there should be some consistency-JMO
jonriv

by Trophy Hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am

Because a showcase isnt college. They are two entirely different animals, and serve entirely different purposes.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 am

The purpose of the showcase is to show that you can play in college.... Would it not make sense to use the same allowable equiptment? The idea is not to see who can hit the farthest with a hot bat, but to see who can be a player at the next level. What else would a showcase be for?
jonriv

by jonriv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Eliminating kids with "hot" bats would sure open up the field availability :o

The reason you can use bats in showcases that you can't in college is because they are legal in showcases. Parents don't all run out and buy a new bat every year just to keep up with the current college approved bat list, nor should they have to. My kid has swung the same bat for the last 3+ years and I don't think it is on the list. It is on the list for ASA, PGF, and NFHS though so she will use it until her school gives her a new bat.

I hear you on the expense side. I am certainly aware of the shortfalls of the NCAA list(favoring new bats) as well as the shortfalls of the other lists. Would make sense if they matched. BTW Spaz-not all teams supply bats
jonriv

by Trophy Hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm

jonriv wrote:The purpose of the showcase is to show that you can play in college....

What? Schools are recruiting 14, 15 and 16 year old children at these showcases, and I'd wager that hardly any, if any, of them can play in college with their current skill set. Coaches compare players against their peers, and if one kid is hitting bombs and the other is hitting routine fly balls, who do you think has the upper hand?
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:
jonriv wrote:The purpose of the showcase is to show that you can play in college....
- perhaps I should reword to the "potential" to play in college

What? Schools are recruiting 14, 15 and 16 year old children at these showcases, and I'd wager that hardly any, if any, of them can play in college with their current skill set. Coaches compare players against their peers, and if one kid is hitting bombs and the other is hitting routine fly balls, who do you think has the upper hand?

Which is why they should have similar(legal) tools- remember TH, they are called COLLEGE showcase. COLLEGE coaches are looking for potential players to play in COLLEGE. There is a reason certain bats are allowed and others are not etc... JMO but the rules should be the same.
jonriv

Next

Return to College Softball