Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Weight Lifting

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by Fredegar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Keep in mind that some schools have frequent turnover with their Strength/Conditioning coaches. And if they change, the new guy's philosophy may be different.

So at the unofficial visit, if you ask about weightlifting, you might also ask how long that particular Strength/Conditioning coach has been there.
Fredegar

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 am

My DD1 (who was the graceful one that clipped her chin) has tried for years to gain weight. Entered her freshman year at 117. Her school was not trying to BULK her up, but since she is a lefty slapper/OF, they were working on her core, her upper body strength, and her legs. She gained 10 lbs. She is a Junior now, and still is trying to stay at 127, but is fit, not bulky and not trying to be. Her coaches work differently for the position played.

DD2, went to school a little heavy, but came home 20lbs lighter, but much more fit. They lift, work core, she rides a bike and they swim. The swimming is great as it works so much of her upper body for her pitching. They work on the backstroke to work the muscles in her back. She says its a lot of work, but she is doing it.

One I had to get clothes bigger, the other cloths smaller. I like that the coaches are all doing their workouts according to the position and what will help them.
Sftbll4ever

by dodgerblue » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 am

All of this would've been good to ask specific questions on the official and unofficial. At my DD school they all do the same workouts except the pitchers and it's based on height and weight. I'm sure there is a high turnover for these strength and conditioning coaches but when the same guy works with the football and basketball teams and expects girls to do the same workout I think he's an idiot in my opinion. But it's time for my DD to grow up and just do as she's told and hopefully it get's better over the years.
dodgerblue

by Kool-Aid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:23 pm

dodgerblue wrote:All of this would've been good to ask specific questions on the official and unofficial. At my DD school they all do the same workouts except the pitchers and it's based on height and weight. I'm sure there is a high turnover for these strength and conditioning coaches but when the same guy works with the football and basketball teams and expects girls to do the same workout I think he's an idiot in my opinion. But it's time for my DD to grow up and just do as she's told and hopefully it get's better over the years.

Very good point! Also at a lot of schools "strength and conditioning" guys/gals are graded (evaluated) and the better the evaluation the better/or more desired sport you get to choose from next season. So in other words softball is like probably somewhere down the line on desired sports to work with. So when a football guy is "demoted" to softball, he/she is NOT happy and the workout remains the same or similar to football, and hip flexur injurys happen, shoulders start going out, etc etc.... I know for a fact this happens, as I hear it from guys in the profession.

Softball players do not need to be power lifting!!!
Kool-Aid

by exD1dad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm not worried about my DD's HS lifting, she is very lucky that her weightlifting/conditioning coach sets up programs that are sport specific & isn't a teacher that's all the conditioning staff does. The softball team now has the head of the dept training them because the other one just got a great job offer down in OC. She was a 3 time all american volleyball player who got into power lifting after college was was ranked in the top 10 in the world for a couple of years, last Dec while at a tourney we saw her on ESPN competing in this strength/endurance competition that was amazing to watch.

Some team Dad's think weight training is too much, I believe it's a necessity on the road to be a champion.

Granted DD goes to a school that has 51 sports teams that recently had 4 alumni in the London Olympics,,,,oh yeah the asst mens track coach won a Gold in the high hurdles.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Softball players do not need to be power lifting!!!

Why not?

Done properly it's great exercise, works the large muscle groups, works the **** of out of your core. I don't think softball players need to work out like guys (lots of arm, shoulder, chest) but working legs, back, core can not be a bad thing, and that's what power lifting works
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 am

Spazsdad wrote:I have to chuckle at the girls, and parents, that think they will bulk up like a bodybuilder if they hit he weights. It ain't gonna happen without some "help". No need to worry ladies, you will not look like Arnold.

The "help" you refer to might just be the usual "freshman 15" :D
jonriv

Previous

Return to College Softball