Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

One Best Things about College Softball

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 am

Besides there being no time limits- it's running into players and families you new from HS and Travel Ball. Down at the NTC Spring Games in Florida- ran into several and many "familiar" faces as well
predoub.jpg
predoub.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 4866 times

In this picture my DD is about to hit a double off a girl she went to Italy with to play several years ago(she struck my DD out the first time up) Prior and after the games they were all smiles and hugs.
l&T.jpg
l&T.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 4866 times

This is my daughter's friend- they were co-captains for two years in HS and finally got to play against each other. A 4-3 game that went for 9 innings, 2 ITBs and runs scored in each!!!!
jonriv

by Tyler Durden » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 am

Agreed it is fun seeing the kids you watched growing up in TB now proudly wearing the uniform of some of our finest institutions of higher learning. And I must say, Babson is a fantastic school, one of the overlooked gems of East Coast Private Schools. (Well, overlooked by softball families, not by Fortune 500 CEO's) :D
And I see you hail from New Canaan. I am from Ridgefield, which for those who aren't familiar with the area, is the poor man's New Canaan. I always knew you and I had a lot in common JonBovi. :shock:
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Small World. Ridgefield is a beautiful place. We have played many, many softball games there. When did you move out west?
jonriv

by jonriv » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:59 am

Found this picture - DD with the town 12u All-Star team playing Ridgefield's All-Satr team in FCFSL competition in Ridgefield. FCFSL(Fairfield County Fastpitch Softball) was made up of Little League and Babe Ruth town teams-with a sprinkling of some local PONY travel teams. helped to catapult a lot of players into the world of TB(and for many college)

This was at one of the middle or elementary schools near the middle of town. for those who do not know- Ridgefield is a beautiful bucolic New England town that even had a Revolutionary War battle(with the americans led by Benedict Arnold early in his career)
Attachments
ridgefield.jpg
ridgefield.jpg (22.11 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
jonriv

by hit4power » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 am

Nice pics...

Another "best thing" is the opportunity to look back and reflect on the journey (and I admit I'm getting sentimental in my old age). Just back from SoCal and DD's first taste of college ball. One of my favorite memories will be the games against Chapman University. Not that anything special happened in the games other than lots of good action in two closely fought contests. But like some other small schools, Chapman doesn't have its own field and instead plays at a nearby city park. During our games, an 8u rec game took place on the field behind us and I couldn't help notice the parallels and reflect on the journey. Ten years ago, my kid was on a rec field playing in her first games of softball.
Both games were well attended by parents and there was plenty of cheering. Banners were hung in all four dugouts with team names and mascots. The rec league players were known only by their first names and numbers, #7 Maria, #27 Keisha, #00 Sara... .while the college game had an announcer, printed programs, and walk-up music. There were clutch hits, big plays, fist bumps, glove slaps, and high fives all around in each game. (The little kids doing glove slaps were sooo cute) One of the rec league teams wore the same colors as our team and several of our players stopped by their dugout between games to cheer them on. In turn they came to cheer for us when their game was done. At the end of the rec league game, everyone exchanged high fives, did a cheer and the "tunnel thing". Then the treats were passed out by the designated mom. At the end of the college game, players exchanged the usual "good game" and after coach lectures the teams headed off for dinner - the college version of the mom treat. Several of us had the chance to talk with some of the 8u parents and we all enjoyed reminiscing. This is a great sport full of nice people – I couldn’t be happier to be a (small) part of it.

I did conclude that being an 8u coach is way harder than being a college coach – the pressure of having to pitch to (and strike out) your own players is intense. And I’m pretty sure the lone blue calling the 8u game took way more crap than the NCAA umps did.

Also, I didn’t get the team name, but the pitcher for the red and black team was pretty darn good – nice form and a lot of speed. I’m guessing class of ’22 but it’s never too early to start recruiting…
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am

I find myself far more relaxed during my daughter's college games than any of her Travel, rec or HS games. Maybe I am getting soft. My wife on the other hand has gotten more intense- she is impossible to be with after a tough loss! I see college ball as kind of the end of the softball journey and I am going to try to enjoy every minute oft it.
jonriv

by DonnieS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 am

jonriv wrote:I find myself far more relaxed during my daughter's college games than any of her Travel, rec or HS games. Maybe I am getting soft. My wife on the other hand has gotten more intense- she is impossible to be with after a tough loss! I see college ball as kind of the end of the softball journey and I am going to try to enjoy every minute oft it.

Same here - dont know why other than I see the end and its not that far away now. They are where they are - and I am enjoying each day for what it is. Last night DD1 hit well I think 4-8 in a dh, DD2 1-6 with 2 intentional walks, - the one thing I am glad about is she is not in my hotel room right now. I hope they win this afternoon because they are going home with us and I dont 8 hours of "I suck" ahead of me. But on the other hand, this time, I didnt forget my headphones.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by THE GODFATHER » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 am

DonnieS wrote:
jonriv wrote:I find myself far more relaxed during my daughter's college games than any of her Travel, rec or HS games. Maybe I am getting soft. My wife on the other hand has gotten more intense- she is impossible to be with after a tough loss! I see college ball as kind of the end of the softball journey and I am going to try to enjoy every minute oft it.

Same here - dont know why other than I see the end and its not that far away now. They are where they are - and I am enjoying each day for what it is. Last night DD1 hit well I think 4-8 in a dh, DD2 1-6 with 2 intentional walks, - the one thing I am glad about is she is not in my hotel room right now. I hope they win this afternoon because they are going home with us and I dont 8 hours of "I suck" ahead of me. But on the other hand, this time, I didnt forget my headphones.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
THE GODFATHER

by DonnieS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Damn , they lost. But one of the old standbys, a hour visit at a yogurt place , and things were ok again. Except, instead of going to the beach this weekend, they are getting the Ts out and going to hit at the park.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 am

DonnieS wrote:

DD had a tough day at the plate- thought of Donnie and his daughters when I rec'd a barrage of "I suck" and "I can't hit" text messages from my DD. It is amazing how moods can change in a day- feel bad for their future husbands.......
jonriv

Next

Return to College Softball