Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Silly D1 Coach Talk to Freshman

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by 93players » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Serious D1 Team -- Freshman you have a bad attitude because you want to play and take the position of an upper class player

Now, what does this coach want? A player who wants to ride the pine. "I dont want to start, I dont want the pressure situation. Please dont put me in" Get with it coaches, that is the bad attitude. You want every kid confident saying to you put me in coach. I think I can contribute.

Another D1 Coach ranking players in terms of talent before they played one game and announcing depth charts to the team. And, the games do not bear out the ranking but the new players have completely lost confidence in the coach's ability to be fair and give players a chance to show their stuff in game day situations.

Ask a lot of questions before you commit. There are some seriously weak D1 coaches out there. Personally, I think it is an intelligence issue, but it could just be they cannot manage people.
93players

by Battle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:06 pm

93players wrote:Another D1 Coach ranking players in terms of talent before they played one game and announcing depth charts to the team. And, the games do not bear out the ranking but the new players have completely lost confidence in the coach's ability to be fair and give players a chance to show their stuff in game day situations.

Real world...conversation with a D1 coach about a player wanting more playing time, or at least some...
Player says hey coach, if you put me in the game I know I can do well and win a starting position.
Coach says, start with winning practice first....
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by DonnieS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 am

;)
Last edited by DonnieS on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 am

Couple of things at play here:

1) We do not know what goes on at practice and the effort given.

2) Is it the freshman is "anxious to play" or just miserable and mopping because they are not playing?

Sometimes it is tough for kids who have been stars their whole lives to adjust to being "just" a player and not understanding that they have to earn playing time and trust. The thing to remember about softball(or any sport) at the college level- every kid on these teams was on of the best(if not the best) in their hometowns
jonriv

by hit4power » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:30 am

Ask a lot of questions before you commit. There are some seriously weak D1 coaches out there

Yes, you should, and Yes, there are. But...

My DD surprised me the other day when she said "I guess I ought to go back and thank all the TB coaches who I thought were mean to me and criticized my technique, my hustle, whatever...because it's the same here and now I can handle it whereas some of my (freshman) teammates are really struggling"
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 am

hit4power wrote:
Ask a lot of questions before you commit. There are some seriously weak D1 coaches out there

Yes, you should, and Yes, there are. But...

My DD surprised me the other day when she said "I guess I ought to go back and thank all the TB coaches who I thought were mean to me and criticized my technique, my hustle, whatever...because it's the same here and now I can handle it whereas some of my (freshman) teammates are really struggling"

Great point!!!!
jonriv

by freetacos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:22 pm

It's a job. You do what the boss(coach) says to do or you quit. Calling the boss stupid is probably not what a freshman or freshman parents should do. Upper classmen are a proven product..freshmen are johnny come latelies.

hello

ft
freetacos

by Fredegar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 am

93players wrote:Serious D1 Team -- Freshman you have a bad attitude because you want to play and take the position of an upper class player

As JR said, for a Freshman wanting more playing time, it can come across in a couple different ways to the coach: 1) Whining and moping that you're not starting, 2) Quietly working your tail off in practice with an outstanding attitude and trying to be the player the coach WANTS to give a pinch-hit opportunity to. Yes, it's frustrating to not start, but the coach can tell if the frustration is leading to bad attitude or good focus on improving.

93players wrote:Another D1 Coach ranking players in terms of talent before they played one game and announcing depth charts to the team.

Nothing wrong with that. Coaches SHOULD rank players and have an idea of a starting lineup based on all the Fall/Spring practices, before the first game starts. Some coaches will have quick hooks for kids who aren't performing right away, while others will have longer leashes.

93players wrote:Ask a lot of questions before you commit.

Always good to ask questions. But remember, when coaches are recruiting your kid, they'll shed things in the best light possible. Don't ask: "Does my freshman DD have a chance to start if she's good enough?" Ask: "How many freshman started last year, and the year before?" Or better yet, do your own research. Find out how many kids on the team play your DD's position. Look at stats/rosters from past seasons to see for yourself if many freshmen got to start.
Fredegar

by DonnieS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:04 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 am

You could ask as many questions as you like but it doesn't necessarily mean they will tell you the truth. For instance at my DD school when a recruit comes in they're told to tell that recruit how much they love it there and practices tend to "be fun" so the recruit can feel at home. Once you get there it's a whole other story. What I've learned is these are life lessons that the girls need to learn on their own and how they deal with each situation. Some weeks my kid wants to come home and other weeks she loves it. It is a job and if you're on a scholarship then yes you are being paid so you need to work.
dodgerblue

Next

Return to College Softball