Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Live from Eau Claire, WI

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by hit4power » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 am

The big difference between a top 50 D1 and a top 25 D3 is the time involved in the sport.

Although I'd like to believe that, I think the reality is that those top 50 or so programs end up with the best athletes overall and that factor, more than time spent practicing is what drives the difference. I do agree that once you drop down past those top programs the differences, if any, amongst a wide range of the smaller DI, DII, and stronger DIII programs are not significant from what I've seen.

As far as time invested, if I compare what my kid (DIII) did this year vs some of her former TB teammates (now small DI's) did, there was very little if any difference in time spent per week in the weight room, practicing, etc. The DI's play a longer season, but in terms of hours/week, it seemed pretty comparable other than travel time here and there (DI's had some more overnight trips and missed a few days more of classes)
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 am

hit4power wrote:
The big difference between a top 50 D1 and a top 25 D3 is the time involved in the sport.

Although I'd like to believe that, I think the reality is that those top 50 or so programs end up with the best athletes overall and that factor, more than time spent practicing is what drives the difference. I do agree that once you drop down past those top programs the differences, if any, amongst a wide range of the smaller DI, DII, and stronger DIII programs are not significant from what I've seen.

As far as time invested, if I compare what my kid (DIII) did this year vs some of her former TB teammates (now small DI's) did, there was very little if any difference in time spent per week in the weight room, practicing, etc. The DI's play a longer season, but in terms of hours/week, it seemed pretty comparable other than travel time here and there (DI's had some more overnight trips and missed a few days more of classes)

Sounds similar to my DDs experiences compared to some of her friends that play D1. Practice time etc was similar- she did have FAR less travel time etc than her D1 friends and missed no classes or tests due to playing. I would also agree that top 50 programs attract more talent and have more depth(as opposed to just more playing/practice time) We have also seen a dramatic increase in talent playing at the DIII level here in New England(not sure why)
jonriv

by sbparent12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 am

I have 2 daughters that both played dIII softball this year. I would guess their "softball related" schedule was very comparable to most dI programs. In fact it might have been busier; yes they played fewer games but that did not mean fewer days off. They either played or practiced 6 days a week and got their mandatory 1 day off a week. Plus they had weights, workouts and study hall.
sbparent12

by CheckWriter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:50 pm

I dunno, I have one in Ivy and the other just graduated Pac 12. Night and day difference in time spent and accommodation for class schedule and the Pac 12 school was, I think academically on par with Ivy.

JMO
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm

CheckWriter wrote:I dunno, I have one in Ivy and the other just graduated Pac 12. Night and day difference in time spent and accommodation for class schedule and the Pac 12 school was, I think academically on par with Ivy.

JMO

Ivies are a whole different ball game. Dd's friend at Yale had similar practice/play time as her diii team. Are athletes at Stanford taking the same course load as non-athletic students? Not sure how elway went to any classes playing football and baseball
jonriv

by CheckWriter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:55 pm

I am pretty sure that graduation requirements are not relaxed for athletes. You sure Elway got a degree? Tiger the Lion Cheetah left before he got a degree.

Vast majority finish in 4 years. That said, during DD's tenure, 13 girls quit the team.

DD not normal, granted, but she received two diplomas, BS Biology AND BA Philosophy, in 4 years. 1,701 baccalaureates, only 23 got two degrees. Sorry, haven't crowed much about my kids over the years. Had to do it once!
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 90066DAD » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:29 pm

CheckWriter wrote:I dunno, I have one in Ivy and the other just graduated Pac 12. Night and day difference in time spent and accommodation for class schedule and the Pac 12 school was, I think academically on par with Ivy.

JMO

Hey CW,

That is an accurate statement in all respects. However, I thought the discussion was centered on comparing "time spent on softball" between D-III and smaller D-1.

'66DAD
90066DAD

by hit4power » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:32 am

Night and day difference in time spent and accommodation for class schedule

So which school required more time and which school was most accomodating around class/sport conflicts?

Oh, and congrats to you and your DD - getting it done on time, double major, and softball - that's impressive!
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 am

CheckWriter wrote:I am pretty sure that graduation requirements are not relaxed for athletes. You sure Elway got a degree? Tiger the Lion Cheetah left before he got a degree.

Vast majority finish in 4 years. That said, during DD's tenure, 13 girls quit the team.

DD not normal, granted, but she received two diplomas, BS Biology AND BA Philosophy, in 4 years. 1,701 baccalaureates, only 23 got two degrees. Sorry, haven't crowed much about my kids over the years. Had to do it once!

It says Elway got an exconomics degree (I guess because of the big contract?!?!?!)

My daughter has a friend who plays hockey for one of the Ivies- she said that their were "jock" classes that other students tried to ge into for the "easier" grade
jonriv

by CheckWriter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Ivy more accommodating than Stanford. Welcome to pm me if you like. There are whole departments that pride themselves on making things difficult for athletes just to prove the point that students should be there for an education, not to play sports.

I think every school has easier (or less hard) general classes that students (not just athletes) can find out about to fill in units for graduation. The collection and dissemination of that info is probably more organized among athletes.

Although probably not as organized as in the greek system. Speaking from prehistoric times, when I was an undergrad, I had a couple of good friends in a fraternity. Lots of info on classes including, in some cases, old tests, etc. As I was not in the fraternity I did not benefit from the info although, as a physics major, I think they said not too many of my classes were on the list.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to College Softball