Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Pitching speed

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by ontheblack » Sun May 26, 2013 12:20 pm

8u/10udad wrote:Okay, so, now here is a question. You have two girls trying out. One throws in the upper 60's, some movement, but, doesn't know where it it going to go. The other girl thows in the low 60's, has a lot of spin and movement, hits her spots. Which girl would you take and why. Can only have one.

Seriously?
ontheblack

by blue1956 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:00 pm

ontheblack wrote:
8u/10udad wrote:Okay, so, now here is a question. You have two girls trying out. One throws in the upper 60's, some movement, but, doesn't know where it it going to go. The other girl thows in the low 60's, has a lot of spin and movement, hits her spots. Which girl would you take and why. Can only have one.

Seriously?

So which one is your daughter? mine is the wild thing throws hard never know where its going very scary for hitters!! Lol
blue1956

by DonnieS » Sun May 26, 2013 1:21 pm

ontheblack wrote:

Seriously?

Come on, otb, you get a snow cone if you get it right.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Sun May 26, 2013 3:21 pm

DonnieS wrote:
ontheblack wrote:

Seriously?

My kid has lived on her ability to hit her spots. But as important is her knowledge of the game. She learned early on the importance of knowing the game and how to set up a hitter based on the hitter's strengths and weaknesses,

I will take the pitcher who is smart, doesnt let the world get into her head, and can get outs. I dont care if its by overpowering the hitter or setting them up and making them look stupid. I am also a fan of having a great defense behind her and a catcher who can finish the sentence for her because they are always on the same page.

If that kids happens to be a Rachel Nasland or a Rachel Garcia, even better.

I cant tolerate wild. Walks kill, and neutralize and demoralize a defense.

Is there ice cream at the bottom of the snow cone?
ontheblack

by DonnieS » Sun May 26, 2013 3:43 pm

ontheblack wrote:
DonnieS wrote:
ontheblack wrote:

Seriously?

My kid has lived on her ability to hit her spots. But as important is her knowledge of the game. She learned early on the importance of knowing the game and how to set up a hitter based on the hitter's strengths and weaknesses,

I will take the pitcher who is smart, doesnt let the world get into her head, and can get outs. I dont care if its by overpowering the hitter or setting them up and making them look stupid. I am also a fan of having a great defense behind her and a catcher who can finish the sentence for her because they are always on the same page.

If that kids happens to be a Rachel Nasland or a Rachel Garcia, even better.

I cant tolerate wild. Walks kill, and neutralize and demoralize a defense.

Is there ice cream at the bottom of the snow cone?

Yes, your answer wins the snow cone with the ice cream at the bottom and that's not all !!!!
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 8u/10udad » Sun May 26, 2013 6:11 pm

And I guess most of you that want the overpowering, don't know where it is going, would not have taken the Oregon pitcher Hawkins, who pitched only 61, but, with a lot of spin, comes in and shuts Neb down.
8u/10udad

by ontheblack » Sun May 26, 2013 6:32 pm

8u/10udad wrote:And I guess most of you that want the overpowering, don't know where it is going, would not have taken the Oregon pitcher Hawkins, who pitched only 61, but, with a lot of spin, comes in and shuts Neb down.

Who here has said they want a pitcher with no control?
ontheblack

by DonnieS » Sun May 26, 2013 6:53 pm

uudad, your question was silly - that's why it was ignored. Some time when you have time, google Kat Osterman, one of the most successful pitchers. She played for Texas, then she played on the USA Olympic team (yes, we had one) , played a lot of pro ball, and she rarely hit 62 mph, and had movement that could only be described - as unfair.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Mon May 27, 2013 6:57 am

One of the college coaches interviewed between innings over the weekend talked about his team "losing the freebie war" the day before, meaning they gave up too many walks, HBP's, and errors to the other team. Putting runners on base is a recipe to lose.

No doubt that some rec league and TB coaches want the power and will live with wildness, but it doesn't cut it at the higher levels.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CoachJaimie » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 am

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "when she is on, she is great", I would be a rich person. I asked once, how often is she on? Can I have a percentage. I will take control over inconsistent every time. That is if you can't have both.
CoachJaimie

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball