Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Missed calls

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by DonnieS » Sun May 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Watching the blues miss the second consecutive call in the Oregon Ducks vs Nebraska game - first on a stolen base, blue probably was blocked from seeing the tag that we could see in slow mo video. Second was a play at first , throw beat the foot by prob half a count, again shown in slow mo, definite out, blue just missed it, again we have the view that the blue doesn't.

What aggravates me is the announcer , after seeing the missed call, calls it 'a close call' - no , its not, it was a missed call. No doubt the blue wants to get it right - but didn't - that's just the way it is, just announcer, be honest.

If errors can be called on defensive players, a poor at bat for the offensive player, a passed ball by the catcher, then call a missed call a missed call.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Sun May 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Agree 100%. Those calls were simply wrong. Wonder if announcers are encouraged to be only positive with regard to umpires.
Fredegar

by 4s dad » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm

DonnieS wrote:Watching the blues miss the second consecutive call in the Oregon Ducks vs Nebraska game - first on a stolen base, blue probably was blocked from seeing the tag that we could see in slow mo video. Second was a play at first , throw beat the foot by prob half a count, again shown in slow mo, definite out, blue just missed it, again we have the view that the blue doesn't.

What aggravates me is the announcer , after seeing the missed call, calls it 'a close call' - no , its not, it was a missed call. No doubt the blue wants to get it right - but didn't - that's just the way it is, just announcer, be honest.

If errors can be called on defensive players, a poor at bat for the offensive player, a passed ball by the catcher, then call a missed call a missed call.

I agree. I only saw the steal once, but it looked like the throw was off, so the tag was about 5 feet from the base when the hand was very close to 2nd. So I imagine by the time the umpire rotated his vision between the tag and the base the hand was on the bag. The call at first was missed.

If memory serves me correctly, both runners later scored. However, Nebraska won 4-2 and advanced to OKC.
4s dad

Return to College Softball