Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

What team is going to win the College World Series?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 am

What a game, Ralphy boy why would you pitch her :?: :?: :lol:
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by ontheblack » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 am

I hope this goes 3 games.
ontheblack

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:05 am

All of the back and forth about pitching to Chamberlain is moot if the TN center fielder is in the correct position and doesn't allow the freaking ball to go over her head for a triple...
SoCalASABlue

by Fredegar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 am

SoCalASABlue wrote:All of the back and forth about pitching to Chamberlain is moot if the TN center fielder is in the correct position and doesn't allow the freaking ball to go over her head for a triple...

I disagree. OFs are in because the odds of Turang hitting a ball over their head is less likely than dropping one in, if they play deep. That strategy was working fine for them the first 11 innings. Besides, even if bases were empty, we might still be having the discussion of whether to pitch around Chamberlain. It's just more obvious when 1st base is open, winning run at 2nd, and her being at 1st would mean nothing more than setting up force-plays, double-plays, etc.

How many people would occasionally love to have 5 minutes with your college coach (or another college coach) just to ask, "Coach, honestly, what were you thinking there?"
Fredegar

by ontheblack » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 am

Fredegar wrote:
SoCalASABlue wrote:All of the back and forth about pitching to Chamberlain is moot if the TN center fielder is in the correct position and doesn't allow the freaking ball to go over her head for a triple...

I disagree. OFs are in because the odds of Turang hitting a ball over their head is less likely than dropping one in, if they play deep. That strategy was working fine for them the first 11 innings. Besides, even if bases were empty, we might still be having the discussion of whether to pitch around Chamberlain. It's just more obvious when 1st base is open, winning run at 2nd, and her being at 1st would mean nothing more than setting up force-plays, double-plays, etc.

How many people would occasionally love to have 5 minutes with your college coach (or another college coach) just to ask, "Coach, honestly, what were you thinking there?"

I'm guessing Renfro's parents would be first on that list.
ontheblack

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:39 am

Fredegar wrote:

I should have clarified - I was talking about the ball Martinez hit AFTER Gibson dropped the Ricketts pop fly that allowed her to get to 2B. It may have worked for the 1st ten innings but when you've just given yourself a 3 run lead with a lineup like Oklahoma's from top to bottom, the last thing I want is any ball going over my CF's head. JMHO.
SoCalASABlue

by PDad » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 am

SoCalASABlue wrote:
Fredegar wrote:

I should have clarified - I was talking about the ball Martinez hit AFTER Gibson dropped the Ricketts pop fly that allowed her to get to 2B. It may have worked for the 1st ten innings but when you've just given yourself a 3 run lead with a lineup like Oklahoma's from top to bottom, the last thing I want is any ball going over my CF's head. JMHO.

First priority is keeping the tying run off base and playing the OFs shallow was the percentage play in that scenario (i.e. slapper). A strategy isn't wrong just because it didn't work out - percentages are not guarantees. Protecting against extra-base hits is proper in other scenarios.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:59 am

Battle wrote:How fast is Brianna Turang? Wow!!

I was shocked Turang didn't score in the 3rd inning on Chamberlain's double. Gasso had to be kicking herself later in the game for holding Turang at 3rd with 2 outs.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm

PDad wrote:

I was shocked Turang didn't score in the 3rd inning on Chamberlain's double. Gasso had to be kicking herself later in the game for holding Turang at 3rd with 2 outs.

I was thinking that throughout the game. I think the aggressive way the the OFs converged on the ball and got it in quickly gave the 3b coach some second thoughts?
jonriv

by PDad » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:05 pm

jonriv wrote:
PDad wrote:

I was thinking that throughout the game. I think the aggressive way the the OFs converged on the ball and got it in quickly gave the 3b coach some second thoughts?

LF did a good job of getting a gapper to the wall in to the cutoff about as quickly as possible. Chamberlain was going into 2B standing up when that happened. Gasso had 2nd thoughts because she knew SS had a strong arm.

Replay showed Turang hit 3B same time as ball got to SS out on the grass. MLB 3B coaches use that as their baseline for deciding whether to send a runner or not - with adjustments for speed of runner and arm/position of fielder. SS had her back to IF and it would have taken a perfect throw while wheeling around to get Turang at home. Late holds like that sometimes result in the runner being put out because it takes a while for them to stop and get back to 3B.

It ended up being a tougher decision than I initially thought it would be, so I'm not second-guessing Gasso. My point was strictly Gasso had to be ruminating over it as the game went on. In fact, it may have played a part in Parsons going for 3B on her similar hit in the 11th.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball