Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

WCWS Game 1 - Key Play

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by Coach Paul » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 pm

There were many clutch plays in the last two innings of Game 1. Both for Tennessee to take the lead, and for Oklahoma to make their comeback. But, I think the key play was characterized by a strong mind and not giving up.

After the 3 runs scored in the top of the 11th, it would have been so easy for Keilani Ricketts to hang her head and hope for better luck in the next game. Honestly, I thought the game was over for Oklahoma. But obviously she didn't think so and was running hard on a routine pop fly and ended up on 2B to spark the rally.

Amazing!
Coach Paul

by Fredegar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Agreed...many kids would give up on that kind of popup. Plus, she surprised Tennessee with a sneaky bunt. And she stole a base. Oh, and she pitched a helluva game. Certainly seems deserving of being named Player of the Year.
Fredegar

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm

The best college game I have ever seen
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by DonnieS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:10 pm

NumeroUno wrote:The best college game I have ever seen

I wish - my normal bed time is 08:30 (alarm goes off at 3:40) and I managed to stay up until Tennessee won the game with the 3 run home run. I said, "thank you Lord" and fell asleep, thinking about how happy the Tennessee folks were.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bart16761 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 pm

DId not wirte this I stole it from another ..... anyway it was pretty good thought you all might like a read at it

Originally Posted by LMUfan
Here are my observations on last night's game, one of the finest in WCWS history. I have no dog in the fight so I believe I can be objective.

- I saw no arrogance on either side. Both showed very high level of sportsmanship.

- This pitcher's duel surprised every single one of us. Yes, Ellen Renfro is good but did anyone believe she'd shut out Oklahoma for 10 innings? Nope, not a single person did. What she did was so beyond anything she'd done before that it can only be described as amazing.

- When TN went ahead by 3 in the 11th I think we all thought it was over. Renfro had things under control and OK was going down.

- What OK did in the bottom of the 11th was more devastating than what TN did in the top of the 11th. Tennessee struck with lighting. A big hit, went ahead by 3 on one pitch. What Oklahoma did in the 11th was decipher Renfro. She was no longer amazing. I don't know if she was tired or Oklahoma cracked the code but it was hit after hit that took her apart.

- Oklahoma gets out at third on an overzealous runner. The third out. First rule of softball: Never make the last out at third base. Especially when that runner was the winning run. For most teams this would have been a devastating letdown. But, instead the team clears the dugout as if she hit a home run and cheers her on because her hit tied the game. The only thing they didn't do was carry her on her shoulders. It was at that moment that the Sooners won the game, not the next inning. This game is 90% mental and their minds were made up. Destiny was decided then. The Chamberlain home run was just an anecdote after that. This was an amazing and inspirational moment like is seldom seen.

- With their spirits broken, Tennessee was shut down in the 12th.

- In the bottom of the 12th Oklahoma continued on where they left off in the 11th. Yes the pitch to Chamberlain was a mistake. A real bonehead move. Nobody watching or in the stadium expected such a move. And, as was said by the announcers, Renfro trusts the coaches and does whatever they say. So, I doubt it was her doing, it came from the bench. But that didn't really matter. Oklahoma had broken the code of Renfro. They were going to win. It was destined by that point in the game.

- As to umpires making bad calls: There are a ton of calls during a game. Some bad but most are good. To try to pick out just one and say it cost one team the game is short sighted. Bad calls occur on both sides. The way to overcome the bad calls that occur in any game is to outplay the opponent. Move on and get ready for the next game. This one is over and any particular call is water under the bridge. Lamenting about it only distracts from the task at hand: win today's game.
bart16761
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

NumeroUno wrote:The best college game I have ever seen

By far the best WCWS ever. I want Tennessee to win tonight just so I can watch them play again tomorrow.

What a great couple weeks of softball.

WRT Ricketts, I doubt she has ever hung her head thinking a game was over before the last out has been recorded. She is a warrior.
ontheblack

Return to College Softball