Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

How many Classes did your DD miss?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

How many classes did your daughter miss last college season?

24%
1-5
12%
5-10
12%
10+
53%

Total votes : 17

by DonnieS » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 pm

jonriv wrote:Which it were the case, but a dd's school seniority is the only priority for scheduling. Athletes to not get any extra priority

Don't matter what class of athletics, from juco, to naia, to d/x/ - that is a question I would be sure is asked at the visit. Not having to worry about getting classes gets to be a bigger deal the further up the seniority level you get.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
jonriv wrote:Which it were the case, but a dd's school seniority is the only priority for scheduling. Athletes to not get any extra priority

F that.

Has not been a problem-plus athletes make up a significant percetage of the undergrad population. It is also common for some professors to attend hsmes
jonriv

by Fredegar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm with Donnie ... figured most schools with athletics offered priority scheduling for athletes. In your case, JR, it sounds like it's not really needed, if most athletes get morning classes and avoid Fridays.

At other schools, including my DDs, missing class isn't that much of a problem. In the Fall, most schools don't travel (much), and priority scheduling helps kids avoid practice conflicts. So no one misses classes in the Fall. In the Spring, some kids take lighter loads, and all try to avoid Friday classes if possible.

In any event, it doesn't seem to be a problem missing Friday classes or an occasional midweek class, when traveling. It teaches kids to be proactive with assignments, work together with classmates to collect the notes, etc.
Fredegar

by jonriv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Fredegar wrote:I'm with Donnie ... figured most schools with athletics offered priority scheduling for athletes. In your case, JR, it sounds like it's not really needed, if most athletes get morning classes and avoid Fridays.

At other schools, including my DDs, missing class isn't that much of a problem. In the Fall, most schools don't travel (much), and priority scheduling helps kids avoid practice conflicts. So no one misses classes in the Fall. In the Spring, some kids take lighter loads, and all try to avoid Friday classes if possible.

In any event, it doesn't seem to be a problem missing Friday classes or an occasional midweek class, when traveling. It teaches kids to be proactive with assignments, work together with classmates to collect the notes, etc.

Great question to ask, I think most people assume athletes have priority scheduling(I did)
jonriv

by CheckWriter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:17 am

No priority for either of my DDs. If you are a science major you often have Friday classes. Then there is that language requirement. Language classes are often 5 days a week.

Older DD often had to be on a bus Thursday mornings not to mention the addition of the Pac 9 mid week series.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 am

DD 1 only had priority registration at freshman orientation. After that, nothing, until this year and that was only because she is a Senior. She never had a problem with it. She always got the classes she wanted. They always have school on Friday's so they do miss a lot of school during season. The Math department at her school would not change tests for anyone. She had elbow surgery her freshman year and the professor would not change a test (non final or mid term) and she had to take a zero on it.

DD 2, had priority registration. Coach told them what time practice was and the girls tried to work around it. Coach said academics was priority, but when DD told her that she would be half hour late on Friday's, she was told she had to drop the class. Needless to say, classes were not top priority as was stated to her.
Sftbll4ever

by DonnieS » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 am

I know of a case where a brilliant young softball player was allowed to change her major from engineering (her dream since she was little, I was told) to softballology - because of softball.

I believe and I hope I am right that my dds coaches would have hit the ceiling if that was even considered - to be specific - a change out of something like engineering - because of softball.

I told the story on here before about being invited to sit at the coaches table on an out of town trip - I overheard one of the coaches say to another - 'Some issues have come up and we need to discuss xxxx'. I leaned away, thinking damn right, the little sxxx struck out 3 times, and with RISP twice. Then I heard the first coach say, "sxxx wants to change majors from xxx (good one ) to yyy (better one (imo)), who do we need to get together to help her think that through." I am thinking "WTH, we could have won that game if .... and they are talking Majors ?" Then I calm down, pull my head out of where it is, and go "Wow - this is what it is really about".
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by etx bd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:52 am

DD has 2 counselors, one in her major and one in the athletic dept. She goes to her Major Counselor and gets which classes she should take that semester then the athletics counselor schedules her classes for her. How do other schools handle it?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books
etx bd

by DonnieS » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 am

etx bd wrote:DD has 2 counselors, one in her major and one in the athletic dept. She goes to her Major Counselor and gets which classes she should take that semester then the athletics counselor schedules her classes for her. How do other schools handle it?

That's about it.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm

DDs planned out their classes for their majors (older DD got two degrees) and signed up for all their clashes for themselves.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball