Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Input on Colleges...Where to go?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by PDad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm

dodgerblue wrote:In my DD case it was written. Don't know how it went down at the other school. We won't know till next year if the new coach will honor the 4 year agreement.

I don't see how the new coach can renege on the agreement without just cause. You should talk to someone in the school's NCAA compliance office to get trustworthy information.

Some excerpts from NCAA Div I Manual:

15.3.4.2 Reduction or Cancellation Permitted. Institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability may be reduced or canceled during the period of the award if the recipient: (Revised: 1/11/94, 1/10/95)
(a) Renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition;
(b) Fraudulently misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement (see Bylaw 15.3.4.2.3);
(c) Engages in serious misconduct warranting substantial disciplinary penalty (see Bylaw 15.3.4.2.4); or
(d) Voluntarily (on his or her own initiative) withdraws from a sport at any time for personal reasons; however, the recipient’s financial aid may not be awarded to another student-athlete in the academic term in which the aid was reduced or canceled. A student-athlete’s request for written permission to contact another four-year collegiate institution regarding a possible transfer does not constitute a voluntary withdrawal.

15.3.4.3 Reduction or Cancellation Not Permitted. Institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability may not be reduced or canceled during the period of its award: (Adopted: 1/16/93, Revised: 1/11/94, 12/11/07)
(a) On the basis of a student-athlete’s athletics ability, performance or contribution to a team’s success;
(b) Because of an injury, illness, or physical or mental medical condition (except as permitted pursuant to Bylaw 15.3.4.2); or (Revised: 1/14/08)
(c) For any other athletics reason.

15.3.4.3.2 Decrease Not Permitted. An institution may not decrease a prospective student-athlete’s or a student-athlete’s financial aid from the time the prospective student-athlete or student-athlete signs the financial aid award letter until the conclusion of the period set forth in the financial aid agreement, except under the conditions set forth in Bylaw 15.3.4.2. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 4/2/03 effective 8/1/03)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm

FYI Hey Dodger Blue go to the top of the compliance Dept, here's the title my cousin had @ Univ Michigan & now @ U South Carolina

Senior Associate Director of Athletics/Senior Woman Administrator

Or the trade group might have pro bono type info - National Association for Athletics Compliance
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 am

They honored this year per her written offer but said it was up to new coach to accept the final 2 years so I won't know till next year. We will fight it if the try to not honor the written offer. But I think once you go there that they will make your life a living hell until you quit.
dodgerblue

by PDad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 am

Based on her being a sophomore, what you have in writing isn't a formal financial aid agreement that the NCAA would recognize because this year's freshman class were the first to get them with their NLI.

I hope things work out for your DD.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rdelawder12 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:44 pm

News just in, a MID MAJOR, who's previous coach went on to coach at a Major D1 out west, pulled the previous coaches offer to a kid that would be signing her NLI in 60 days after being contacted by the School to confirm she will keep her commitment, but new Head Coach after being hired PULLED IT! WOW, cant wait to talk about this one in 30 days, as no kid should commit to this school, they are too small to pull a kids offer after she's had it for 18 months and knowingly the kid hasn't solicited any other schools for 18 months since committing! WOW is all I can say!!!
rdelawder12

by FP FAN » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

Unlike the original poster's criteria, education came first for our DD. Her requirement was that she get a full ride at a D1 with her choice of degrees (that eliminated several schools from the start), and do it in 4 years. If this is important to your DD, make sure to ask coach what percentage of the players during her/his tenure graduated in 4 years. It made DD's choice easier when coach said "all but one". Although she'd like to keep playing, she is eager to move on after her senior year to start her master's degree while working/interning.
FP FAN

Previous

Return to College Softball