Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Input on Colleges...Where to go?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 am

There are many of the parents that criticize my DD's college coach- pitching changes, bunt calls etc......, but the fact is he runs a winning and successful program(it is a results based business) What I like about the coach is that he is like having a third parent watching over my daughter. He truly acts as though each one of these young ladies were his own daughters. He makes sure they are keeping their grades up, they are acting responsible, and provides caring person to seek advice. I am sure there are many coaches out there that are similar.

Winning is important, but having someone that is truly interested in the success of your daughter is even more important.
jonriv

by BAM2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 am

McLovin, being very fortunate that my dd met the first of those two requirements, we focused on majors and what felt was a right fit.
We've come across some of those schools,though our travels ,that met your later two stipulations, but i'm sure you'll get your answer on a pm. I'm hoping my kid can take a good program and make it better, and after her five years are done, have a great career to look forward to.
I got some great advice from some college coaches, and great parents from the bucket.
"There are going to be teams that want you, that you don't want, and there are going to be teams that don't want you that you want". It's about the right fit and where your dd can see herself spending 5 years going to school after her 4 is complete. My kid loves softball to death, but it's just an avenue to a great education,
Any way, our situation is new, and JMO. She is just a freshman in high school, and been though this conversation with a lot of people before making a early decision, which is a whole other topic.
My one question to these college coaches at the end of our negotiations was, " Other than softball, why do you want my daughter" ... if you ask this and get a only softball answer, that might help in finding a softball only school...
Good luck
McLovin wrote:I am hoping to get some opinions on this...Lets say your daughter could go anywhere she wanted to...
Full ride..5 years.... No major in college....just strictly softball
What two colleges in the Pac12 would you have her attend and why?
What two colleges in the Pac12 would you have her avoid and why?
Same question for SEC and Big 10.
Thanks in advance
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:21 pm

It's about the right fit and where your dd can see herself spending 5 years

What's wrong with 4 years?
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 pm

"Full ride..5 years.... No major in college....just strictly softball" (OP)

"What's wrong with 4 years"

Hummm... nothing wrong with 4 years. UC's have been having an issue recently with students being able to get classes to meet all degree requirements in 4 years, so, yes, there could be something in that vein. But it is not softball related. I have no idea where the OP is coming from much less why he thinks anyone is going to get a full ride for 5 years. Maybe he has an inside line to the NCAA eligibility committee and will let us all know the logic of why someone would get a 5 year full ride, including why a school would have anyone play 4 years at no cost and pay for the 5th out of the kindness of their heart. Or.... maybe it was a simple typo by the OP. Whoooooo knowwwwwws....

The OP was... unique... in of itself so I wouldn't make much of it. I hope his DD does well but it's obvious some groundwork need to be set in place if there is to be success.
fasterpitch92701

by BAM2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm sure it's not a typo, and i am most definite that it is available for those athletes that are out there.
In my discussion the 5th year was as to allow my dd to follow where ever softball may take her in her years in college.
Whether that might be a USA team, or something that would favor the sport of softball. The 5th year would allow for that and not stress in finishing her degree in 4. With a 4, if they are lucky or fortunate enough to play on a team, it might take up a lot of their extra time, and they might have to finish their degree at a community college or pay at the college they are at to finish their degree. Nothing is wrong with 4, 5 just offers a sense of not being weighed down and stressed. It would give them a chance to enjoy being there, less stressful. And like i stated before, if they go in with college credits, or take summer school, they will be working on their Masters degree( i believe that's after BS) in their 5th year, On Scholarship. Of Course this is only my experience, and one i'm just sharing.
tha
fasterpitch92701 wrote:"Full ride..5 years.... No major in college....just strictly softball" (OP)

"What's wrong with 4 years"

Hummm... nothing wrong with 4 years. UC's have been having an issue recently with students being able to get classes to meet all degree requirements in 4 years, so, yes, there could be something in that vein. But it is not softball related. I have no idea where the OP is coming from much less why he thinks anyone is going to get a full ride for 5 years. Maybe he has an inside line to the NCAA eligibility committee and will let us all know the logic of why someone would get a 5 year full ride, including why a school would have anyone play 4 years at no cost and pay for the 5th out of the kindness of their heart. Or.... maybe it was a simple typo by the OP. Whoooooo knowwwwwws....

The OP was... unique... in of itself so I wouldn't make much of it. I hope his DD does well but it's obvious some groundwork need to be set in place if there is to be success.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:08 am

There's only a such thing as a 1 year ride and after that it becomes a year to year deal. Factor in the coach that recruited you leaves for another school and takes coaching staff and new coach decides to blow up team and starts bringing a bunch of new players. Nothing especially in softball is guaranteed and if I were to do it all over again I probably would avoid softball altogether. You would think that the drama ended in 10U wait till you get to D1. I heard so many horror stories over the summer about college ball from my DD and her friends and all had similar stories no matter what school it was. Sad part is they're great players and now hate the sport that they used to love. Not saying this is everybody's opinion I would say the top 20% love it so much that they join the professional league then go on to try and coach the remaining 80% will use their college education and get a job. The 5th year thing is something that you will end up paying for out of pocket for because being in a sport especially in season you take the bare minimum of classes so either you take an extra class in the fall or summer school both options you will pay for out of pocket because an athletic scholarship only covers the minimum. These are just my opinions not saying this happens to all.
dodgerblue

by PDad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:16 am

dodgerblue wrote:There's only a such thing as a 1 year ride and after that it becomes a year to year deal. ...

No longer true - NCAA approved multiple year deals almost 2 years ago (first multiyear NLI's were last year). I doubt it's common, but it is available.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:11 pm

No longer true - NCAA approved multiple year deals almost 2 years ago (first multiyear NLI's were last year). I doubt it's common, but it is available.

They change it if they want. My DD received a multiple year offer but everything is up in the air after this year. New coach only has to honor 1st year after that it can go away and from what I heard. Heard from another parent at a different school that their school got a new coach and since most of the team were not her recruits she cut all the scholarships in half and when they tried to fight the decision it was a losing battle due to the coach making up lies. It's a tough business.
dodgerblue

by PDad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 pm

dodgerblue wrote:

They change it if they want. My DD received a multiple year offer but everything is up in the air after this year. New coach only has to honor 1st year after that it can go away and from what I heard. Heard from another parent at a different school that their school got a new coach and since most of the team were not her recruits she cut all the scholarships in half and when they tried to fight the decision it was a losing battle due to the coach making up lies. It's a tough business.

Was the written financial aid agreement for multiple years or was that just in a verbal offer? If not in the written agreement, they're at the mercy of the current coach - just like recruits that only have a verbal offer from a previous coach.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:32 pm

In my DD case it was written. Don't know how it went down at the other school. We won't know till next year if the new coach will honor the 4 year agreement.
dodgerblue

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball