Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

How to recruit to the Big Ten...

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by brentt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 am

Thought it'd be interesting to talk to a college coach who's battling everyone else and ask how you separate from the pack.

Michigan State is a good example: went 24-25 last year and is a "cold weather" school. So how do you recruit against warm weather schools, programs in the Pac-12 or SEC, or others who have had more recent success?

I spoke last night with Michigan State's Jacquie Joseph and she was a fun person to talk to, will tell you what she thinks and is an upbeat, positive personality.

So read this maybe with the thought in mind you are her and need to know how you'd try to "sell" your school against others.

Here's that article with her ideas on recruiting, motivating and even the Olympics here: Interview with Michigan State's Jacquie Joseph

--- Brentt Eads (StudentSportsSoftball.com)
brentt

by You don't say » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Don't know if they are a good representation of the Big 10. Probably one of the weakest programs and the school doesn't care. They lost every conference game a year ago and at the end of the season renewed the coaches contract. Obviously the AD doesn't care. Some of these old guard coaches need to move on and if they don't they need to be nudged.
They are also a State school so not on the academic level as the others so I don't know what she is "selling". A kid going to the Pac is not going to Michigan State.
You don't say

by exD1dad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey My Take...Michigan State is ranked 154th by forbes(out of 650), but there's another "State School" down in Ann Arbor that's ranked in the to 20 in several academic arenas' & they got a pretttty good team :lol: So before you start bashing MI you better watch out for Maize & Blue :lol:

Besides, every league has someone in last place.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by You don't say » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm

No that would be The University Of Michigan. If you don't think there is any difference between a U and a State school you must have went to a State school. :lol: :lol:
That would be like saying UCLA is equal academically to Cal State Bakersfield.
You don't say

by All-American SB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Or like comparing Ohio State with Ohio University.
All-American SB

by exD1dad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:28 am

My Take you seem like you are such a Cali guy, ever leave the state other than for a softball tourney :lol: ? Actually where did you go to college tough guy? Not many in the Country had what my little city school had when I was there (studly athletics & a top 10 ranked college of my major) U of Michigan duuuh I should have spelled it out cuz obviously you don't understand an inference. Only an idiot would compare one of the most competitive schools to get into numbers wise(UCLA) to a cow town State University with less than 8K students. Michigan State has over 40K students Read my post - top 20 (U of M) a state school & 150 (ahead of 500 other institutions)also a state school & same league.

Michigan is not California so you're comparing apples & oranges.

All American you're 1/2 right but different again OSU (yuck, pardon me while I vomit ..oh my puck looks like, like well buckeyes) is twice the size of OU (the 1st bar I ever drank in was there) & they're different leagues.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Softball