Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Georgia drops three recruits

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by NumeroUno » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

I knew it was only do time, lets keep early recruiting :x :roll:

Georgia drops three recruits (8/12)
Aug 12, 2014

Ninety-nine percent of the time when we cover recruiting on this site, it’s happy news.

Recruiting, in most cases, culminates with the announcement of which university or college a player has decided to attend and the excitement that comes with knowing that not only will she be getting to play a sport she loves at the collegiate level, but likely get paid in some way to compete.

Then, there’s that one percent of the time when recruiting isn’t so pleasant, when it resembles a sport like football where it’s estimated that 10-15% of committed players either decommit or get dropped for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, that’s the situation that’s happened in the SEC within the last couple of days.

What we know

Last Friday, three recruits that had been offered and committed to the University of Georgia were told they no longer would be able to sign with the SEC school. In essence, their scholarship offers were withdrawn.

I’ve talked to no less than six sources close to the situation, including club and college coaches as well as people within the Georgia athletic administration, and there are differing opinions as to why the offers were rescinded.

What is agreed by almost all is who the three talented prospects are: a 2015 shortstop ; a 2015 pitcher/infielder) and , a 2016 catcher

None of those I spoke to, not surprisingly, want to be quoted on record because of the delicate situation facing both sides.

For the athletes, their families and club coaches, they want to try to find a new school as quickly as possible and fear speaking out will hurt these chances.

On the Georgia side, the sources I spoke to knowledgeable about the softball situation say the athletic administration is concerned about privacy issues and legal concerns and has instructions for higher ups to not discuss publicly.

Plus, whenever recruits are dropped, it draws criticism and the hope is that all parties can move on from this as seamlessly as possible and everyone will be able to move on.

Without dispute are the changes that have happened within the Georgia softball program this summer.

Assistant coach Gerry Glasco left to take a similar position at Texas A&M after being in charge of the Bulldogs’ recruiting efforts for several years. Shortly after, his daughter Geri Ann Glasco transferred to Oregon after hitting .297 with 10 homers and 42 RBI while going 16-5 as a pitcher.

Georgia Head Coach Lu Harris-Champer finished her 14th season at the helm of the SEC program highlighted by a 12th consecutive trips to the NCAA Championship.

The head coach has produced 20 All-Americans and 65 All-SEC honorees in her time at Athens, but as of early July found herself needed to overhaul her staff.

On July 16 Tony Baldwin was announced as an assistant, returning to Georgia where he was a volunteer coach in 2011 and 2012 followed by a stint at North Carolina the last two years.

One week ago, on August 4, Rick Pauly was also named as an assistant after serving as a volunteer assistant at USC Upstate for the three previous years.

That much is pretty black and white… the rest of it is in dispute.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:49 am

John, do you think this is the beginning of a sea-change in recruits being dropped by programs after their verbal, or an isolated incident? And, do you think this is a direct result of early verbals, or more likely just a Georgia-specific problem because Glasco left?
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by extiger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 am

Although it's not common, It's happening more than we think. I heard of similar incidents happening at other D1 schools.
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 6position » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Happened recently to a friend (also a 2015) with a head coaching change. Makes us parents just a little nervous....Although no one really knows all the details.
6position

by Ks softball fan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Perhaps these are the unfortunate things that have to happen in order to force change on the issue. I know if I had a 2nd DD I would go about the process much different than I did the 1st one.

I am unsure why the players are not moving more towards a football or basketball method of "collecting" offers before choosing later in the process. This keeps the power with the players and will force the schools to change their approach as well.

If the process is left as is, these stories will become more frequent. If you combine this with the growing transfer rates every year and there is obviously a problem.
Ks softball fan

by NumeroUno » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:John, do you think this is the beginning of a sea-change in recruits being dropped by programs after their verbal, or an isolated incident? And, do you think this is a direct result of early verbals, or more likely just a Georgia-specific problem because Glasco left?

TD I think it will be a growing trend. I have seen many cases when their are coaching changes and the new coaches do not want the incoming recruits. The problem is these coaches need to win or get fired so recruiting a stud 9th grader who turns out to be a below average 12th grader isn't good. Any coach who takes back their offer after they recruited someone, I would be hesitant to accept an offer from, just saying.

NCAA do something and stop allowing recruiting before 11th grade
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by as the world turns » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:15 am

I remember how long it took CS Fullerton to recover when they did that to a player with the previous coach. Now Georgia has done it to 3 players. All I can say, players be careful.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by as the world turns » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:28 am

I think there should be a thread that identifies all schools that pull offers from players late in the game.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 am

as the world turns wrote:I think there should be a thread that identifies all schools that pull offers from players late in the game.

I agree, but it should be done in away that avoids embarrassing the girls/families involved if possibel
jonriv

by jonriv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 am

True, but there should be some way of getting the word out if there is a school that be making more of a habit of withdrawing offers.
jonriv

Next

Return to College Softball