Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Univ of Hawaii Athletics in trouble?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I would hate to see this happen...this is my alma mater.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2631 ... -reduction
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:53 am

The AD created his own issues. When June Jones retired they were playing in bowl games against Georgia, Notre Dame, ASU to 1-11 last year. Yep, that is going to leave a shortfall.

Instead of whining "Are we going to pay for this program or not? How important? And I put this out to the state of Hawaii," He needs to get his butt down to the field, fire his coach, and build a team worth watching.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:The AD created his own issues. When June Jones retired they were playing in bowl games against Georgia, Notre Dame, ASU to 1-11 last year. Yep, that is going to leave a shortfall.

Instead of whining "Are we going to pay for this program or not? How important? And I put this out to the state of Hawaii," He needs to get his butt down to the field, fire his coach, and build a team worth watching.

Good points AI, I agree. I don;t think Chow is HC material.

I doubt they'd ever get rid of the football program, but on the heels of BYU-Hawaii's decision to drop/phase out its entire athletic program in a few years, the bigger issue for the softball community and potential recruits to UH is whether or not this AD pushes to have at least some sports cut, like softball.

DD, mom and I were generously given the opportunity to take a coach-guided individual tour of the facilities this past summer and it would be a shame if they cut the program.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 am

Don't say never. Northeastern, Hofstra and others have closed their football programs. If you are not a power 5 team they are tremendously expensive to run. We will probably see this repeated too often in the near future
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 am

jonriv wrote:Don't say never. Northeastern, Hofstra and others have closed their football programs. If you are not a power 5 team they are tremendously expensive to run. We will probably see this repeated too often in the near future

Very true, Jonriv. I guess my thinking is based on the fact that now that even the Pro Bowl is gone, UH football is the only game in town (and state). You'd literally have to fly thousands of miles to see football live (above the HS level).

I think the alum and locals there would have the AD and regents heads if they tried it. And trust me...you do not want to make the locals mad. :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:19 pm

There are a lot of reasons to consider a lot of different schools. Personally, I would definitely consider having a kid get a chance to play in Hawaii. What a great opportunity. I would think that would be a top notch life experience.

I would not get too overly concerned about the whining of the AD. I think he is just positioning for funding in his own weak way.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:There are a lot of reasons to consider a lot of different schools. Personally, I would definitely consider having a kid get a chance to play in Hawaii. What a great opportunity. I would think that would be a top notch life experience.

I would not get too overly concerned about the whining of the AD. I think he is just positioning for funding in his own weak way.

I hope you're right, AI!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:There are a lot of reasons to consider a lot of different schools. Personally, I would definitely consider having a kid get a chance to play in Hawaii. What a great opportunity. I would think that would be a top notch life experience.

Agreed. What the hell happened to Hawaii football? They were a National presence and had that QB that was crazy-good. Mishandled for a few years and now the program is in the toilet. AD needs to face that head-on. Looks like an amateur extortion shot-over-the-bow by the AD.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:

Agreed. What the hell happened to Hawaii football? They were a National presence and had that QB that was crazy-good. Mishandled for a few years and now the program is in the toilet. AD needs to face that head-on. Looks like an amateur extortion shot-over-the-bow by the AD.

Colt Brennan was a good QB that looked great in June Jones run and gun offense. The program hasn't been the same since Jones left.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Softball