Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

New USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll Misses The Mark

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by as the world turns » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:49 am

The SEC has some of the top Physical Education programs in the country, no wonder "top" players are flocking these schools.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by exD1dad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:56 am

ATWT it's "Exercise Science" :lol:
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:00 am

These players are recruited for their bats and if they happen to play good defense, that is a bonus.
as the world turns

by as the world turns » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 am

exD1dad wrote:ATWT it's "Exercise Science" :lol:

Dating myself here :lol: . Wasn't it kinesiology before Exercise Science?
as the world turns

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:26 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:I don't see any bias at all and even if there is it's not helping:

- The PAC 12 has 80 WCWS Appearances vs 28 for the SEC
- The PAC 12 has 36 WCWS Title Game/Series Appearances vs 7 for the SEC
- The PAC 12 has 23 WCWS Championships vs 2 for the SEC

Polls are for fun and to argue over, that's all.

Make no excuses and beat the teams in front of you and you will be champions.

Polls and competition are different subjects... I agree 100% about beating the teams in front of you. Polls don't reflect the last team standing and the score board never lies.

But the infatuation with SEC in all sports is there. It doesn't matter the sport. Football is best example in poll bias. Of course baseball has the fair share and if you look at Softball it is definitely a leaning that way.

You see poles provide strength to RPI and RPI is one of the biggest factors in placing teams into the regionals, selecting seeds and host sites. If a conference has a strong RPI which the SEC does the. They will have more teams and host sites giving the conference a higher probability of reaching OK City.

Now that being said the SEC relationship with ESPN definitely helps. The Big 10, Big 12 and the PAC are associated with Fox so I don't know how you can't see the possible connection and possible bias. Is what it is and at end of the day it's about winning, but playing at home or close to your fan base has proven it will provide a higher chance to win. In all sports!!
tbjd33

by socalmarauders » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:51 am

tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:I don't see any bias at all and even if there is it's not helping:

- The PAC 12 has 80 WCWS Appearances vs 28 for the SEC
- The PAC 12 has 36 WCWS Title Game/Series Appearances vs 7 for the SEC
- The PAC 12 has 23 WCWS Championships vs 2 for the SEC

Polls are for fun and to argue over, that's all.

Make no excuses and beat the teams in front of you and you will be champions.

Polls and competition are different subjects... I agree 100% about beating the teams in front of you. Polls don't reflect the last team standing and the score board never lies.

But the infatuation with SEC in all sports is there. It doesn't matter the sport. Football is best example in poll bias. Of course baseball has the fair share and if you look at Softball it is definitely a leaning that way.

You see poles provide strength to RPI and RPI is one of the biggest factors in placing teams into the regionals, selecting seeds and host sites. If a conference has a strong RPI which the SEC does the. They will have more teams and host sites giving the conference a higher probability of reaching OK City.

Now that being said the SEC relationship with ESPN definitely helps. The Big 10, Big 12 and the PAC are associated with Fox so I don't know how you can't see the possible connection and possible bias. Is what it is and at end of the day it's about winning, but playing at home or close to your fan base has proven it will provide a higher chance to win. In all sports!!

I agree!
Marauders Softball
Coach: Charlie Jones
http://www.marauderssoftball.com
socalmarauders
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to College Softball