Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

After College

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by PDad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:49 am

Dugout Dad wrote:
jonriv wrote:DD begins work on two weeks. She is going through softball withdrawal( me too). She is excited about starting this new phase of her life and has been actively apartment hunting

You won't get to go watch and cheer her on at her job :D - unfortunately some parents try :?

There are reports of parents going on job interviews with their kids - and sitting in on the interview!
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 am

At my dd's school, eight seniors graduated from softball, only three really graduated. Five will have to return to college to get their degrees.
I do know one who graduated got a job with the Charges in SD with a business marketing.
My dd has taken one winter class, and is taking two summer classes to make sure this does not happen to her.
She still con't figure out what she wants to do as she goes into her junior year. It was business marketing, who knows now.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am

Safebyahare wrote:At my dd's school, eight seniors graduated from softball, only three really graduated. Five will have to return to college to get their degrees.
I do know one who graduated got a job with the Charges in SD with a business marketing.
My dd has taken one winter class, and is taking two summer classes to make sure this does not happen to her.
She still con't figure out what she wants to do as she goes into her junior year. It was business marketing, who knows now.

Can't believe your peanut is going to be a junior already. Seems like yesterday that you and I were rooting on our team at PGF at Fountain Valley.

You still pimpin' HeyBucket T-Shirts for Uno? :D
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:Can't believe your peanut is going to be a junior already. Seems like yesterday that you and I were rooting on our team at PGF at Fountain Valley.

The time has flown, she has had two great college softball campaigns.
She needs to have better academic campaigns. (just saying, studies and procrastination doesn't work well when you have to travel to play games.) (she always struggled with grades)
I hope your kid is proactive academically.
As for pimping shirts, nah, it was fun for a season, kept me out of trouble.
I will be trolling some fields this summer. Perhaps we'll meet up.
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Safebyahare wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:Can't believe your peanut is going to be a junior already. Seems like yesterday that you and I were rooting on our team at PGF at Fountain Valley.

The time has flown, she has had two great college softball campaigns.
She needs to have better academic campaigns. (just saying, studies and procrastination doesn't work well when you have to travel to play games.) (she always struggled with grades)
I hope your kid is proactive academically.
As for pimping shirts, nah, it was fun for a season, kept me out of trouble.
I will be trolling some fields this summer. Perhaps we'll meet up.

Yeah I think she understands that school comes first...we'll see.

I'll be around for the following two events:

7/10-7/12 – Summer Showcase – Surf City Huntington Beach/Irvine (5 games)
7/15-7/19 – Champions Cup – Irvine (7 games)

Right now her new travel team is not doing PGF, TCS or ASA championships, but I guess that's subject to change. She's just trying to keep the rust off so it's not super important.

I'm disappointed we will not be going to Colorado for her last go-round. I really enjoyed our trips up there. :(
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:24 am

I think letting future college athletes know that it may take more than 4 years to graduate is important. Congrats hare on your dd taking action to avoid the 5 yr plan
jonriv

by Safebyahare » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:52 am

jonriv wrote:I think letting future college athletes know that it may take more than 4 years to graduate is important. Congrats hare on your dd taking action to avoid the 5 yr plan

Gen. info: Scholarships do not cover winter break or summer classes.(unless maybe negotiated) They are not cheap either.
Our deal was and continues to be, We will pay for four years of college. Giving her the opportunity to graduate debt free. If it takes longer it is on her, and she can carry the balance of payment.(debt) I wish she would stop bringing home that one 'Fantastic' grade every year. :oops: :evil:
It's really simple, you need X amount of units in four year. Make or create a buffer, don't screw up.

OP, I find it surprisingly troublesome how many do not take full advantage of the opportunities they have (including my own) We continue to push,and be supportive. Pick a major that you like and be sure there is a job market or demand for it. I am sure thinking in advance (future) when you are 19yrs. can be strange to some who live in the present.

OT: One of the things we are having dd do this summer is, medical transcribing. We are hoping that it will help with her focus and work ethic. while making a money at the same time.
As for after college we have even suggested/ discussed with her (her choice) the military for four years to gain and add to her work skills while gaining benefits then entering the work force at 25yrs.
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:59 pm

JONRIV, I just posted this on another thread but it was suggested this might be a better place....
---------------------------------

I haven't posted in awhile.... but "an event" reminded me of this board and the subject of "what does a player do AFTER college softball?". Well... DD is still working as a research assistant with a thoracic surgery group but is sort of.... sort of... moving on. She was just accepted to Stanford Med School. The whole family is pee'ing in their pants. Key factors were her degree at a tough school in Biology, work experience, her excellent test scores and....determination, ability to work hard and focus, focus, focus. And she learned that playing softball.

She still works out daily at the gym. Her catchers legs/knees and broken bones don't stop her. And I could not possibly be more proud of her.

Softball gave her valuable lessons. Focusing on grades early on was key. Having softball helped get her into the school of her choice, knowing that the POINT of going to college was education but the gravy in the process was softball.

Study hard. Play hard. Focus. Good happens.

Enjoy !
Last edited by fasterpitch92701 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fasterpitch92701

by tbjd33 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:45 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:JONRIV, I just posted this on another thread but it was suggested this might be a better place....
---------------------------------

I haven't posted in awhile.... but "an event" reminded me of this board and the subject of "what does a player do AFTER college softball?". Well... DD is still working as a research assistant with a thoracic surgery group but is sort of.... sort of... moving on. She was just accepted to Stanford Med School. The whole family is pee'ing in their pants. Key factors were her degree at a tough school in Biology, work experience, her excellent GRE scores and....determination, ability to work hard and focus, focus, focus. And she learned that playing softball.

She still works out daily at the gym. Her catchers legs/knees and broken bones don't stop her. And I could not possibly be more proud of her.

Softball gave her valuable lessons. Focusing on grades early on was key. Having softball helped get her into the school of her choice, knowing that the POINT of going to college was education but the gravy in the process was softball.

Study hard. Play hard. Focus. Good happens.

Enjoy !

Great read... Congrats to you and yours. Love to hear DD's take advantage of opportunity.

Good stuff!
tbjd33

by PDad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:11 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:Key factors were her degree at a tough school in Biology, work experience, her excellent GRE scores and....determination, ability to work hard and focus, focus, focus. And she learned that playing softball.

I expect it was MCAT rather than GRE...

Congrats! Getting into most med schools is a major accomplishment, let alone Stanford.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball