Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Jobs after graduation?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by as the world turns » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Not looking good for certain majors. Freshman, pick wisely, regardless of what the "academic" advisor and coach suggests. Right now for many, the last games loom. Now what?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/where-college-seniors-are-falling-short-1493118000
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 am

Too often playing Softball in college becomes the "ends" instead of being a "Means to to the ends". It is important that potential and current students find a Major that that they can be passionate about and to hopefully make a living from it. Very few will be able to continue with a career in Softball(playing, coaching, etc...) Too many players wind-up with majors of convenience. Many of the degrees that are most in demand in the workplace(Engineering, medical etc..) are difficult to balance with a busy practice and game schedule. Choose wisely for as mentioned in the previous post, the last game will come.

Another thing worth mentioning- what is your student-athlete doing during summer break?? Are they working? Internship? Playing more softball??

IMO students should work during the off-season. Prospective employers like employees that know how to work. Yes, being a college athlete develops and demonstrates a lot of skills and habits treasured by prospective employees and gives I believe those athletes a distinct advantage, it does not replace the experience of working for and getting a paycheck. Internships are key. As I have mentioned previously, all of my daughter's team-mates had internships and all had post=graduation jobs with those companies prior to December of their Senior years- Coincidence?

College is a place to gain knowledge, learn how to learn, and to develop skills to be successful in life. Playing sports in College is an excellent addition to this and for many helps them pay and/or get into a college
jonriv

by DonnieS » Sat May 27, 2017 7:49 pm

I would have thought that going to work would come after graduation, but sometime back, my youngest , DD2, told me she was planning to travel. I said, "Good luck, I think thats a great idea, teach and coach - if thats still your plan, then summer time will be great." She said, "uh no , I am planning a lot longer than that - like a year, I am thinking about exploring New Zealand. Since I ended with little debt, I can do it. I have a job lined up at the school, and am setting up to do lessons when i get home." And she did, applied for, got work visa, insurance, set up a budget, now has a decent bank account. The local school - her high school alma mater - hired her as a full time substitute. Then she got almost overwhelmed with lessons request. She left 3 weeks ago, is working on a ranch/farm/coffee shop operation, really as an au per for this month, and the school there in the little town asked her to be the backup track coach for them. She has several more assignments set up for the next few months. She works half a day - in return for room and board - and then travels around the area. The people there - gave her driving lessons (they do everything backward there) , and lent her a car for her spare time exploring. A number of people have suggested she set up a blog, because her posts home have been really beautiful pictures and stories about the area.

Her work - at the local school - is working with special ed kids, she loved it - and is writing back to her group since she left. She told me that one of the things that she is looking forward to do is sharing her experiences with her classes - not of her class assignments is with special ed classes and the special ed kids vary greatly. I miss her - we skype once a week - and typically exchange emails/messages every day or so. DD1 , btw, is a school teacher out in west texas and is having a baby softball player for me - due on July 5th.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Softball