College Softball

Clint Myers retires

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by NumeroUno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:29 am

Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by PDad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:26 am

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20437627/auburn-tigers-softball-coach-clint-myers-retiring

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn softball coach Clint Myers is retiring after leading the Tigers to a pair of Women's College World Series appearances.

Auburn announced Myers' retirement Wednesday. He went 205-54-1 with the Tigers and won Southeastern Conference tournament championships in 2015 and 2016, making it to the WCWS both years.

Auburn has broken 17 offensive school records and 23 overall since Myers' arrival in 2013. Auburn had never advanced beyond a regional final before he took over.

The 65-year-old Myers also led Arizona State to national titles in 2008 and 2011.

"After 40 years of coaching and reflecting on the importance of spending quality time with my wife, my children, and my grandchildren, I have decided to retire from a sport that I love dearly and which has brought so much joy to me," Myers said in the school's news release. "I have had the chance to coach many great student-athletes. I have seen them grow to be outstanding contributors to society. My time in coaching has been a source of great pride."

The year was a tumultuous one for Myers and the Auburn program. After a March series against rival Florida, shortstop Haley Fagan made national headlines for getting into a postgame handshake line tussle with Florida head coach Tim Walton.

Days later, Myers' son, associate head coach Corey Myers, abruptly announced his resignation. Then junior infielder Emily Spain took a leave of absence from the team.

In April, Fagan, pitcher Makayla Martin and outfielder Brittany Maresette were charged with second-degree possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Catcher Carlee Wallace transferred to Baylor at the conclusion of the season.

Auburn went 49-12 (17-7 SEC) in 2017 and fell to eventual national champion Oklahoma in a super regional.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:12 pm

AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballinsanity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 am

Retires before he's fired for allegedly allowing his son, former asst coach Corey of being a sexual predator. Disgusting!!! Oh and they both "Retired for family reasons". I've seen a few kids already decommit from Auburn.
softballinsanity

Return to College Softball